PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Replacing Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsgo

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
in 11 games he had 28 tackles, 17 solo, thats an average of about 3 tackles a game, 4 sacks, less than 1 a game, i like Colvin but the number dont lie, nothing to bad to replace, injuries are part of football, we'll survive we always haved with injuries

The last time we lost Colvin for the year we won the super bowl, but I dont like the inj to any of our lb's

The last time we lost Colvin for the year we won the super bowl,

Well that's because we had Big Willie and Vrabel outside, plus Bruschi in his prime, Roman Phifer (highly underrated), and I believe also Ted Johnson.

This year our depth at ILB is once again nothing.

Well that's because we had Big Willie and Vrabel outside, plus Bruschi in his prime, Roman Phifer (highly underrated), and I believe also Ted Johnson.

This year our depth at ILB is once again nothing.

Izzo and Alexander. Both special teams players.

What do you expect? The Pats to keep 2 backup ILBs who don't play special teams?

You just can't do that with a 53-man roster.

Adalius Thomas will do just fine, and if we have any worries about the inside, I think we could always make a switch to the 4-3.

Does A.Thomas now play outside full time now?

Do we pick up cover in the middle or someone else for outside?

What do you expect? The Pats to keep 2 backup ILBs who don't play special teams?

A team that runs a 3-4 should have at least two back-up ILBs. You have to remember we are partly in this situation because of our 7 WRs. The Colts would've loved to be in our shoes a few weeks ago.

in 11 games he had 28 tackles, 17 solo, thats an average of about 3 tackles a game, 4 sacks, less than 1 a game, i like Colvin but the number dont lie, nothing to bad to replace, injuries are part of football, we'll survive we always haved with injuries

Actually, the numbers do lie. Colvin has put steady pressure on opposing QBs. Particularly when Seymour was out, Colvin was drawing double teams, freeing up Vrabel.

Also, nice of you to gloss over the 3 forced fumbles ( 2nd on the team to Vrabel), the 3 tackles for loss, the 2 passes defensed and the Interception he made. If you think those are major items, then you're fooling yourself.

Oh, those 4 sacks had him tied for 2nd on the team behind Vrabel's 9.5. Its foolishness to downplay the loss of Colvin. He was a major cog in the defensive machine. He'd also improved his ability to set the edge and keep runners inside. He wasn't perfect, but he was better than he was when he first came to the Patriots.

I think that Pierre Woods and Chad Brown are going to see a LOT of reps this week at OLB.

The other thing we'll probably see is the Pats use their Nickel defense against the Ravens, opting to put in Sanders, Harrison and either Gay or Meriweather as the 3rd Safety.

That way Harrison can be like a 4th LB.

Colvin was playing great, you don't replace him. you make do, like we have in the past

If you have ever watched Colvin set the edge on running plays and absolutely blow up plays without getting credit than you would realize his value. Sorry to tell you but sacks are not what makes someone a good player. This is a huge loss in terms of taking an awesome player off the field. Sometimes I wonder if some of you actually watch Pats games.

With that being said i don't expect this to ruin the Pats chances at winning the Super Bowl. Too good.

Quite right! Would we better off with five receivers and two more ILB's? If course! The problem is that we can't seem to find ILB's to fit our schemes. This has been an issue for years.

A team that runs a 3-4 should have at least two back-up ILBs. You have to remember we are partly in this situation because of our 7 WRs. The Colts would've loved to be in our shoes a few weeks ago.

Actually, the numbers do lie. Colvin has put steady pressure on opposing QBs. Particularly when Seymour was out, Colvin was drawing double teams, freeing up Vrabel.

Also, nice of you to gloss over the 3 forced fumbles ( 2nd on the team to Vrabel), the 3 tackles for loss, the 2 passes defensed and the Interception he made. If you think those are major items, then you're fooling yourself.

Oh, those 4 sacks had him tied for 2nd on the team behind Vrabel's 9.5. Its foolishness to downplay the loss of Colvin. He was a major cog in the defensive machine. He'd also improved his ability to set the edge and keep runners inside. He wasn't perfect, but he was better than he was when he first came to the Patriots.
no ones down playing his loss, its part of football and you move on, the numbers arent earth shattering no matter how you spin it, double coverage??? why are they doubling colvin up and leaving vrabel free, doesnt make sense to me,when seymour was out green filled in great, again i dont know why your making things up

If you have ever watched Colvin set the edge on running plays and absolutely blow up plays without getting credit than you would realize his value. Sorry to tell you but sacks are not what makes someone a good player. This is a huge loss in terms of taking an awesome player off the field. Sometimes I wonder if some of you actually watch Pats games.

With that being said i don't expect this to ruin the Pats chances at winning the Super Bowl. Too good.
ah gee thanks for telling me your so smart i thought colvin played special teams, did you graduate from high school?

2002:
Vrabel-Bruschi-Phifer-WMG

this year:
Vrabel-Bruschi-Seau-Thomas

We're doomed.

2002:
Vrabel-Bruschi-Phifer-WMG

this year:
Vrabel-Bruschi-Seau-Thomas

We're doomed.

One injury away from doom - as it stands now - we're fine!

ah gee thanks for telling me your so smart i thought colvin played special teams, did you graduate from high school?

:bricks: Ya really proved me wrong.

yes. that's exactly what i godamn expect.

Godammnit.

Oh the last time Colvin, played the Eagles in the reg season, he hurt his hip, and was lost for the season... Maybee we should deactivate Colvin when we play the Eagles.. , but then again, Colvin wont be here when that happens in 2011..

I hope Woods is ready. It would be a pleasant surprise. But if I recall correctly he got dinged during the game, does anyone know if he was/is alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back