PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Replacement of Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Taking a back" is not the same as overrating him, which is what I posted. And Ridley didn't reach even 800 yards when Blount was here. He had 773 yards rushing, which was 1 yard more than Blount had in the same season, and Ridley had 25 more carries.

The reason Blount is not with the team, is not that he might not have been a better pure runner then Ridley.

It was because Blount couldn't catch a cold with his stone hands. That reduced the credibility of the passing game, and simplified the number of possible receivers in the passing game that the Defense must cover, which is the Pats real bread and butter. After all, Annual passing yardage gained, is twice the running yardage gained.

Ridley's lack of yardage last year had more to do with his ball handling security, that Belichick's coaching, by benching him, forced him to improve, just like Faulk before him. He accepted the coaching, without grousing, and did alter his ball handling security.

After all, he had less fumbles than Blount in more carries, last season. Ridley won out, and was simply more v-e-r-s-a-t-i-l-e, and thus more valuable, even though Ridley doesn't hold a candle to Vereen's receiving abilities, but it was good enough to be a threat.

I love Vereen and I have always thought he was our best back but he is too valuable of a receiver to ever give him the carries of a lead back. Bolden is a jag but I think he will get a massive increase in carries until they get tired of him.

I have a gut feeling we will sign an old veteran back that excels in pass protection. We will have plenty of time to evaluate our roster after Thursday.

The reason Blount is not with the team, is not that he might not have been a better pure runner then Ridley.

It was because Blount couldn't catch a cold with his stone hands.

We don't know the reason Blount is not with the team. It's highly doubtful that it's because of Blount's hands, though, given that Ridley has 23 total receptions in his NFL career, to Blount's 26, when Blount's only been in the league one year longer.

We may have the best poor weather QB in the NFL, but does that mean you want to get into a shoot out in a Foxborough blizzard late January? Ridley not here is a major issue, he pounds the rock, he moves the chains, and most importantly .... he kills the clock. I highly doubt BB is not thinking about this run game before he sleeps at night.

We may have the best poor weather QB in the NFL, but does that mean you want to get into a shoot out in a Foxborough blizzard late January?

It means that you have a big edge.

Ridley not here is a major issue, he pounds the rock, he moves the chains, and most importantly .... he kills the clock. I highly doubt BB is not thinking about this run game before he sleeps at night.

BB has found ways to deal with lousy WRs, lousy TEs, lousy RBs, lousy OLs, lousy DLS, lousy DBs and lousy LBs (here he's had the least success), at least as far as regular season play goes.

White was drafted to replace Steven Ridley when he leaves in free agency at the end of this year. This just means that the passing of the baton takes place 13 games early.

In Belichick's world, you draft a RB, play him for four years on the rookie deal, and draft another one. In an ideal world, you want your rookie RB to get some reps.

Ridley was having a nice year, but he's not likely to get to Canton. He was 12th in rushing yardage in the NFL so far this year. 3.6 yards per carry. 57 yard per game.

I don't see any reason that Vereen, Bolden, and White can't average 3.6 yards per carry.

you can make all kinds of suggestions but in the end, it's BB's decision and he is a "next man up" coach...that probably means White or the kid elevated from the practice squad, Jonas Gray

You too, Joker?

He's a "next man up" coach? What happened last season when Wilfork and Kelly went down? Sopoaga, Siliga, Chris Jones -- and some other guy or guys too I can't remember, I think. It wasn't simply: Forston and Vellano, here are your starters jerseys. BB's "next man up" principle means preparing the team with whoever's available that week and playing the game with whoever is active and still healthy at that stage. It doesn't mean not playing around with try-outs, cuts, trades and so on when you can

And, while we're on the subject, those people who say "running backs are done at 30" haven't watched BB either. He's always been good for giving players a Last Hurrah. Sammy Morris, Fragile Fred Taylor, Antowain Smith, Lamont Jordan. And I'm sure again that there others I've forgotten.

Which is not to say that I am predicting what BB will do. The only thing I am confident in about BB is that he never ceases to surprise me (still digesting the KT cut).

We don't know the reason Blount is not with the team. It's highly doubtful that it's because of Blount's hands, though, given that Ridley has 23 total receptions in his NFL career, to Blount's 26, when Blount's only been in the league one year longer.

Did you ever see them catch? Blount fights the ball constantly, whereas Ridley at least looks somewhat comfortable trying to do so.

White was drafted to replace Steven Ridley when he leaves in free agency at the end of this year. This just means that the passing of the baton takes place 13 games early.

In Belichick's world, you draft a RB, play him for four years on the rookie deal, and draft another one. In an ideal world, you want your rookie RB to get some reps.

Ridley was having a nice year, but he's not likely to get to Canton. He was 12th in rushing yardage in the NFL so far this year. 3.6 yards per carry. 57 yard per game.

I don't see any reason that Vereen, Bolden, and White can't average 3.6 yards per carry.

That YPC is certainly not impressive, but Ridley was running behind the same crap line that almost got Brady killed early this year. He was averaging 4.5 YPC coming into the season. Also, Ridley often runs on first downs, short yardage, and other run-tendency situations, that deflate his YPC in comparison with someone like Vereen who runs more against nickel and dime defenses. Ultimately, defenses have had to account for Ridley or be gashed for 10-20 yard runs. I think it's a big loss, although not an insurmountable one.

White looks to me he was drafted more to replace Vereen than Ridley, but we'll see.

I'm extremely bummed about loosing Ridley...

The more I think about it, they'd be crazy not to give Law firm a look. It's getting toward mid season and they have a chance at a big back with some power to go with Vereen, experienced as a successful pro, and in our system and a good character guy that fits team chemistry.

Recall, I was never a big law firm fan, but why untested rookies, or guys new to the system in mid season when we can have a good character guy who can do short yardage and move the chains? Screw upside, we don't have time for that.

I have pretty good character. And I'm just as likely to break off a 15 yard run as BJGE, so maybe they should sign me. It is absolutely remarkable, but in his last 400 carries over 2 seasons, BJGE's long run is 13 yards. Now he's a year older, and as hard it as it is to believe, likely even less explosive. Problem with that, no matter how well he holds on to the ball, is that teams can absolutely ignore the run and know that it is not going to hurt them. Btw, our short yardage back is Tom Brady.

It was because Blount couldn't catch a cold with his stone hands. That reduced the credibility of the passing game, and simplified the number of possible receivers in the passing game that the Defense must cover, which is the Pats real bread and butter. After all, Annual passing yardage gained, is twice the running yardage gained.

Ridley's lack of yardage last year had more to do with his ball handling security, that Belichick's coaching, by benching him, forced him to improve, just like Faulk before him. He accepted the coaching, without grousing, and did alter his ball handling security.

After all, he had less fumbles than Blount in more carries, last season. Ridley won out, and was simply more v-e-r-s-a-t-i-l-e, and thus more valuable, even though Ridley doesn't hold a candle to Vereen's receiving abilities, but it was good enough to be a threat.

The reason Blount isn't with the team is because the Patriots have an assigned value to every position, and the contract that Blount signed with Pittsburgh simply exceeded the value assigned to his position.

BB has clearly demonstrated that he prefers volume over value at RB (RBBC), probably because of the high rate of injury at that position.

I have pretty good character. And I'm just as likely to break off a 15 yard run as BJGE, so maybe they should sign me. It is absolutely remarkable, but in his last 400 carries over 2 seasons, BJGE's long run is 13 yards. Now he's a year older, and as hard it as it is to believe, likely even less explosive. Problem with that, no matter how well he holds on to the ball, is that teams can absolutely ignore the run and know that it is not going to hurt them. Btw, our short yardage back is Tom Brady.

That's why you pass the ball.

Ten yards is a first down. Get one or two yards consistently when that's what you need and you have a role. James White or Vereen isn't going to make a living moving the pile

Bjs long run is 48 yards, by the way-33 yards when he was with the Pats. Vereen's is 21.

Last edited:
Let's have Brady carted off the field to substitute for having a short yardage back. Makes sense.

As BB and Josh McD know full well, QB sneak is by far the best play in short yardage situations. That's why they call it in virtually every big short yardage situation. So, it may not make sense to you, but it makes a lot of sense to the decision-makers that matter.

I agree with all of your other points, but I'm not sure that 10 yds on 6 carries = "getting into a rhythm" yesterday as the game went on.

As a whole, I do believe that he'll be handed the keys as the lead RB, so it will likely depend on how effective he is as to what extent other options will be explored. I think we can all assume that the carries will be spread around more, no matter what.

He had a couple of no gains and negative run and was hesitant to hit the hole. Maybe I'm just overrating his one or two decent runs, but it looked like he hit the hole decisively on his last few runs.

That's why you pass the ball.

Ten yards is a first down. Get one or two yards consistently when that's what you need and you have a role. James White or Vereen isn't going to make a living moving the pile

Bjs long run is 48 yards, by the way-33 yards when he was with the Pats. Vereen's is 21.

No doubt he would have a job if you were his agent.

As BB and Josh McD know full well, QB sneak is by far the best play in short yardage situations. That's why they call it in virtually every big short yardage situation. So, it may not make sense to you, but it makes a lot of sense to the decision-makers that matter.
Brady has four rushes this year on 3rd or 4th and short. He's picked up 3 first downs on those rushes. What qualifies as a "big short yardage situation?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back