PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Replacement for Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you're being too optimistic. With Samuel, we made Jay Feeley

and Kyle Boller look like Peyton Manning. Without Samuel, we may make

Rohan Davey type quarterbacks look good. You can cover for average and

below average cornerbacks if you have a pass rush like the damned Giants.

The Pats pass rush is not that good.

i think we went over this. Feeley and Boller didnt do much on him. P. Manning, Garrard did
either way..hes the 2nd best option in FA.

1. Asomugha
2. Samuel
3. Trufant

He missed a few gambles, yes. Bad player? no. Read my thread on our scheme. (Cover 3)

Samuel is responsible for deep..he isnt supposed to give up the big play, which he hasnt. He has to read the route and jump it. Thats basically what the cover 3 is. Make the pick or allow a short gain, nothing deep and we did a great job of that this year.

Samuel is replaceable however but not much by the FAs that will come cheap.

Anyways, Im interested in a pair of ex Maryland Terps. Foxworth (RFA Broncos nickel) and Bengals Safety Madieu Williams who was a CB in college but like Geno, made switch to safety because need at safety(in William's case, injuries forced him and did great). Williams has good size and is an FA, maybe putting him in a zone scheme at CB, might work out. Bengals would resign him but they've never valued a safety much to pay them.

Getting Colvin back will help. Also I think getting Meriweather out there more, as a second year player no longer a rookie, will help the coverage. But losing Samuel will hurt.

Overstatement. EVERY team is going to have games where QBs look good. Even mediocre QBs, at times. You're not going to eliminate that. The fact of the matter is the Patriots gave up the 6th least passing yards in the NFL, despite the fact opponents were trailing most of the time. A lot of time time by a lot. The Patriots had the second most sacks in the NFL with 47, second only to the Giants 53. So the Giants got 6 more sacks over 16 games. Big friggin deal, that isn't even half a sack more per game. In the playoffs, the Pats got 5 sacks in 3 games, the Giants got 8 in 4 games. So the Pats averaged 1.67 sacks per game, the Giants 2 per game. About the same differential as the regular season.

The Patriots can certainly shore up their pass defense, as well as their whole defense. But the insane overstatements after a loss are ludicrous. Including the "evaluations" of Drayton Florence. No one is saying he is a savior or even a great player. Just another role player to fill in and try to help win some games. He was the starting corner on a winning team and managed to pick off the greatest QB in history two years in a row in the post-season.

Can we have some real analysis, the good and the bad, without it always being so black and white and overstated?

J D Sal

Um, how about Mike Richardson?

Um, how about Mike Richardson?

your going to trust him to replace a Pro Bowl CB..while Richardson will be a 2nd year, 7th round pick or whatever he was? The best Richarson will be this year is a replacement for Gay..and thats no guarantee at all. Preseason is a lot of vanilla..hes shown nothing.

Bengals Safety Madieu Williams who was a CB in college but like Geno, made switch to safety because need at safety(in William's case, injuries forced him and did great). Williams has good size and is an FA, maybe putting him in a zone scheme at CB, might work out. Bengals would resign him but they've never valued a safety much to pay them.
Williams was not a CB in college. He has always been a safety and never really played ANY corner. From his Bengals bio:

"COLLEGE: One of the nation's best cover safeties during his two seasons at Maryland ... Came to Maryland as a walk-on after playing two seasons at Towson University ... Helped lead Maryland to records of 11-3 and 10-3 over 2002-03 seasons, starting all 27 games ... His teams capped each season with big bowl victories, bashing West Virginia 41-7 in the Gator Bowl following '03 season and blasting Tennessee 30-3 in Peach Bowl following '02 campaign ... Played in 1999 and 2000 at Towson University, and sat out '01 according to NCAA rules after transferring to Maryland ... Honored as an "Iron Terp" for his standout performance in team's offseason conditioning program.

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=49

J D Sal

Williams was not a CB in college. He has always been a safety and never really played ANY corner. From his Bengals bio:

"COLLEGE: One of the nation's best cover safeties during his two seasons at Maryland ... Came to Maryland as a walk-on after playing two seasons at Towson University ... Helped lead Maryland to records of 11-3 and 10-3 over 2002-03 seasons, starting all 27 games ... His teams capped each season with big bowl victories, bashing West Virginia 41-7 in the Gator Bowl following '03 season and blasting Tennessee 30-3 in Peach Bowl following '02 campaign ... Played in 1999 and 2000 at Towson University, and sat out '01 according to NCAA rules after transferring to Maryland ... Honored as an "Iron Terp" for his standout performance in team's offseason conditioning program.

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=49

J D Sal

wups my bad. well the bengals moved him to CB rookie year to make transition but safeties were getting hurt so they put him back. Either way , hes a good cover guy

"He's one of those rare guys with that kind of quickness and size to play inside and outside," Frazier said of Williams. "Watching him on tape before the draft, we thought he had that potential. Then when we saw him perform in one-on-one drills, man, he's a good safety but he can be a heck of a corner and there's a great demand for good corners."

Leslie Frazer was the coach who said that

I really think the impending loss of Samuel is a bit overrated. He's a good player but he gets beat just as often as anyone else. I'd love it if we could sign Trufant to a decent contract if Samuel goes.

What about Shaun Springs from the Redskins?I'm a huge fan of this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back