PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reminded me of 2009.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Same old Pats...is this 2009?

I agree that we should move Bodden to safety. He is our top corner. But we do need to imporve at safety. It would seem more reasonable to move Dowling or Arrington.

Your title sounds like we have sucked for years :rolleyes:

Branch had 15 receptions in the first 2 games
Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch, Woodhead. Who do you want him to throw the ball to Mankins?

Meriwhether and Sanders weren't making a difference. Its the scheme. We are relying on corners to play man to man when they can't cover for long enough for the pass rush to get there and the pass rush can't get there quick enough to play man.
This is that aggressive defense everyone wanted that gives up the big play. It has been an abject failure. Give me bend but don't break in support of the GOAT QB. We win going away today if we played last years scheme.

Why would you move a corner to safety and start your #4 corner?

Yes that looks like it started today.

Pass rush doesn't come from a player, it comes from a unit. Every team in the NFL is disappointed with its pass rush because the ball comes out so quickly.

Way too early for that. He dropped a pass. He has been in the NFL for years and produced. He wouldn't be here if he couldn't be counted on to catch the ball. Everyone drops passes. He seems to me to be coming along actually.

I hope you're right. Maybe I was understating Branch but he seems to disappear at times. Seems like feast or famine.
He's Deion Branch, not Andre Johnson.

I will say it's early. We are 2-1 and today's game was a Brady train wreck he rarely has and the Pats still could have won, but I see alot of trends I don't like.

1. The Pats are pass happy, but instead of throwing to only welker and moss, now it's welker and the tight ends with the occassional Branch. We need more balance with more rushing attack otherwise defenses are just gonna start teeing off on Brady and not respecting play action or the run.

OC & Coach/GM. Why draft Players like Slater or Price if you never want to throw to them. Remember the days Brady used to throw to 8-9 receivers/RB ?

2. We can blame McCourty for sophomore struggles but I tend to think the safety situation is at the root at it as well as the new style of pressure defense by corners. We all hope that releasing Sanders and Merriwether was not a big mistake.

Coach/GM.....Too late. Ship has left. Now he has to live with it for this season

3. I'm predicting Leigh Bodden will be moved to safety and will be teamed up with Chung. I have to think Arrington is the starter opposite McCourty with Dowling next on the depth chart.

Bodden is not a S. Dowling maybe.

4. Riddley looks more explosive than BJGE. I think Riddley will get the nod very shortly. The trust factor is what's holding him back. He had a heck of a block to protect Brady in today's game.

BJGE > 1100 yards last year. He can't run if focus is to give him 5 attempts a game. OC is an idiot, period. He is killing the D at the expense of O.

5. Pass rush is a consistent theme the past 5 years. It hasn't been good since McGinest and Vrabel. It seems like BB keeps getting guys on the cheap and throws it at the wall and hopes something sticks. I can't blame him because it's such a huge risk to draft a pass rusher or did he just wait too late after the draft to convert to a 4-3?

No risk, no reward. If you draft like a panzie that pass rusher is a risk you get what you get last 5 yrs. Now trying to put same 3-4 players into a 4-3, misguided and results are exposed for the fans, and league.

6. Chad Ocho is looking like another Galloway. I hope he can turn it around and we also need Albert to return to form of his dominating self a couple years back, but will he ever return to that form?

Chad is done. Can't seaprate. Lighting cannot be caught in a bottle twice with aging WR's. Moss was a freak of a generation. Chad is another run of the mill WR.

LOL @ some posters

One thing i will say..i wish the pats got Peppers

Last edited:

What is it with adding extra letters to player names? It was Meriweather, not Merriweather, and it's Ridley, not Riddley (or Riddler).

Brought to you by the forum pedant.

No, in 2009 our offense couldn't even move the ball in the 2nd halves.

This offense moved up and down the field but just made really silly mistakes they shouldn't have.

I'll take the latter any time because it's unlikely to happen again considering some of those bounces. At least they have life.

As for moving a CB to safety.... seems like Arrington would be a logical choice?

Releasing two of our top safeties was a terrible move...and it was evident from the get go.

I love when Pats fans act so spoiled :rolleyes:

Your title sounds like we have sucked for years :rolleyes:

Branch had 15 receptions in the first 2 games
Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch, Woodhead. Who do you want him to throw the ball to Mankins?

the point trying to be made is Brady threw for 900 yards the first two games so who didn't he throw to? when the going gets tough, who does he go to but Welker? should Welker have over 200 yards? sure it's great but it's gonna wear him out. we saw how the absence of him in the 2009 season.

guess I'm just irritated that there is not more commitment to run. who really cares who he throw to as long as it is not the other team.

I just don't hope it's not a trend week after week nor do I care for him zoning in on Gronk constantly.

more run

the point trying to be made is Brady threw for 900 yards the first two games so who didn't he throw to? when the going gets tough, who does he go to but Welker? should Welker have over 200 yards? sure it's great but it's gonna wear him out. we saw how the absence of him in the 2009 season.

guess I'm just irritated that there is not more commitment to run. who really cares who he throw to as long as it is not the other team.

I just don't hope it's not a trend week after week nor do I care for him zoning in on Gronk constantly.

more run

Singling out one receiver isn't inherently a problem . . . IF that receiver is consistently open.

In any case, I think the offense will improve significantly after Hernandez, Vollmer, and Price are on the field.

Last edited:

Gonna agree with a lot of what Mr. B says here although I too will disagree slightly on the use of Branch...until today. Not 1 pass to Branch? Is the Bills secondary that good? Especially with Hernandez out? We have 4 active RB's but we barely run the ball and then use Edelman? I don't get that at all.
DB's seem to do well when they're rookies and then regress, doesn't speak well of the coaching. I'm not sure that moving Bodden to safety is such a bad idea, Arrington has shown himself to be no worse than anyone else playing the position and is playing better than McCourty. Again, I see this as a coaching problem because all have shown they can play the position.
The pass rush is just abysmal. This group is up there in age and I really think this is still a personnel problem. They have shown zero ability to collapse a pocket and get to the QB. We have no end rusher so if we can't overpower an O-line opposing QB's will have time to make their plays.
Ocho isn't another Galloway but he's not another Moss. He should have had a big role in today's game......well I guess he did but not in a good way. He could have been the go to guy but he just isn't that good. I think when Hernandez comes back Chad's participation will drop off the charts.

2011 Pats look like "Football Life: Bill Belichick" 2009 Pats

After watching parts 1 & 2 of the NFL Network's program on Bill Belichick, Bill much be feeling a sense of deja vue. The '09 & '11 teams have a lot in common; no run offense, all on Tom's shoulders, no pass rush and no pass coverage. The loss yesterday must be frustrating for him like the '09 loss to the Saints they show in the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back