Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
- Offense unclutch in the 4th quarter
- Brady throwing costly interceptions after starting out the game hot
- Offense and Defense not being able to sustain a lead
- NOT mentally tough
- stupid coaching decisions late in the game(Brady forcing throws up 24-17 instead of running down the clock playing it safe)

Few Sidenotes:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Aaron Hernandez is a HUGE loss. He is our best playmaking receiving threat.

OchoCinco's drop was one of the worst in patriots history. He is in my doghouse.

We Need to start drafting some IMPACT top talents high in the first round(trade up for crying out loud) rather than trading down and settling for bottom feeders.

We need to find a # 1 tall receiver playmaker

More imporantly, we need to find a young stud pass rusher and a young ball hawk in our secondary. We have NO superstars on defense.

It's only one loss..but demoralizing losses like this are never good. We need to recover quick and get back on track. I have confidence.

Last edited:
Don't even go there...not just yet.

Last edited:
Actually, it reminds me of the PIT game that ended the Pats' 21-game win streak in 2004.

A game that they could have won if they hadn't had such rotten injury luck the week before.

Yeah I hate to say it but it reeked of 09. I saw this game as drastically different from the Browns game last season. We made some bad errors, namely turn overs in that game. Today everything went wrong. We choked away a 21-0 lead, the defense got burned, we turned the ball over too much, the coaching was awful...especially the play calling.

Reminiscent of 2009 for sure.

these are the 2 comments i found most egregious.

(1) we scored a TD with 2 minutes left to tie the game. we converted 2 fourth down plays when needed the most. We scored 7 points in the fourth quarter I think. Thats equivalent to 28 pts a game. in my opinion, you are way off

(2) Two of bradys interceptions were off of deflections. i cannot kill him for those. another, the interception in the end zone on a pass to gronkowski was probably a bad pass. he threw the ball low allowing the DB to make the pick . however, a safety was lurking deep and if he threw it high gronk wouldve gotten anihilated. tough to kill him for that throw, but the read probably wasnt great

these are the 2 comments i found most egregious.

(1) we scored a TD with 2 minutes left to tie the game. we converted 2 fourth down plays when needed the most. We scored 7 points in the fourth quarter I think. Thats equivalent to 28 pts a game. in my opinion, you are way off

(2) Two of bradys interceptions were off of deflections. i cannot kill him for those. another, the interception in the end zone on a pass to gronkowski was probably a bad pass. he threw the ball low allowing the DB to make the pick . however, a safety was lurking deep and if he threw it high gronk wouldve gotten anihilated. tough to kill him for that throw, but the read probably wasnt great

1 tipped ball off of Woodhead
1 tipped ball at the line of scrimmage
1 mis-communication (poor route or bad throw) on the pass to Ochocinco
1 poor decision and poor throw to Gronkowski in the red area

I blame Brady for one of those. I'm sure Ochocinco f*cked that one up.

it just blows my mind how they found a way to lose that game.:mad:

it just blows my mind how they found a way to lose that game.:mad:

That's how it felt for a few of the losses in 09, just completely shocked to lose the game.

its one thing to lose a game but its just the way they lost it. and its becoming a trend over the last several years. i wouldn't feel so bad if they just got beat. but they just puked all over themselves at every critical point of the game when they could have put it away. i am beyond angry :mad:.

- Offense and Defense not being able to sustain a lead
- NOT mentally tough
- stupid coaching decisions late in the game(belichick taking that atrocious timeout)

Few Sidenotes:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again. Aaron Hernandez is a HUGE loss. He is our best playmaking receiving threat.

OchoCinco's drop was one of the worst in patriots history. He is in my doghouse.

We Need to start drafting some IMPACT top talents high in the first round(trade up for crying out loud) rather than trading down and settling for bottom feeders.

We need to find a # 1 tall receiver playmaker

More imporantly, we need to find a young stud pass rusher and a young ball hawk in our secondary. We have NO superstars on defense.

It's only one loss..but demoralizing losses like this are never good. We need to recover quick and get back on track. I have confidence.

Agree but BB spent no money or draft picks on the defense this season so he must be thinking offense

I hate to admit it. I was strongly reminded of our playoff loss to the Jets and the 2009 season :(

I hate to admit it. I was strongly reminded of our playoff loss to the Jets and the 2009 season :(
its become a trend. a really bad one. they are either world beaters or choking dogs. there is no in between with them.

They seem to me to have no mental toughness on defense.

Pats offense showed how mentally tough they were on the 2 minute drive. To convert that fourth and goal from the 6 after the penalty was huge.

Brady has so much faith in his O line- the pocket was collapsing and he held on to the ball until the very last second. They're aren't too many other QBs that could do that.

Same old Pats...is this 2009?

I will say it's early. We are 2-1 and today's game was a Brady train wreck he rarely has and the Pats still could have won, but I see alot of trends I don't like.

1. The Pats are pass happy, but instead of throwing to only welker and moss, now it's welker and the tight ends with the occassional Branch. We need more balance with more rushing attack otherwise defenses are just gonna start teeing off on Brady and not respecting play action or the run.

2. We can blame McCourty for sophomore struggles but I tend to think the safety situation is at the root at it as well as the new style of pressure defense by corners. We all hope that releasing Sanders and Merriwether was not a big mistake.

3. I'm predicting Leigh Bodden will be moved to safety and will be teamed up with Chung. I have to think Arrington is the starter opposite McCourty with Dowling next on the depth chart.

4. Riddley looks more explosive than BJGE. I think Riddley will get the nod very shortly. The trust factor is what's holding him back. He had a heck of a block to protect Brady in today's game.

5. Pass rush is a consistent theme the past 5 years. It hasn't been good since McGinest and Vrabel. It seems like BB keeps getting guys on the cheap and throws it at the wall and hopes something sticks. I can't blame him because it's such a huge risk to draft a pass rusher or did he just wait too late after the draft to convert to a 4-3?

6. Chad Ocho is looking like another Galloway. I hope he can turn it around and we also need Albert to return to form of his dominating self a couple years back, but will he ever return to that form?

Re: Same old Pats...is this 2009?

I will say it's early. We are 2-1 and today's game was a Brady train wreck he rarely has and the Pats still could have won, but I see alot of trends I don't like.

1. The Pats are pass happy, but instead of throwing to only welker and moss, now it's welker and the tight ends with the occassional Branch. We need more balance with more rushing attack otherwise defenses are just gonna start teeing off on Brady and not respecting play action or the run.

A few things:

(1) Branch had 15 catches the first two weeks, which certainly isn't "the occasional Branch" throw.

(2) Remember that the Pats' O plans are devised, to some extent, based on the Ds they face (so it may well be that going THIS pass-heavy, this long, has been primarily an issue of the Ds they faced). But I agree that the playcalling, at times, borders on the bizarre and ridiculously predictable.

(3) Brady typically has one c**p game a year. In fact, he's had SIX four-INT games.

A few things:

(1) Branch had 15 catches the first two weeks, which certainly isn't "the occasional Branch" throw.

(2) Remember that the Pats' O plans are devised, to some extent, based on the Ds they face (so it may well be that going THIS pass-heavy, this long, has been primarily an issue of the Ds they faced). But I agree that the playcalling, at times, borders on the bizarre and ridiculously predictable.

(3) Brady typically has one c**p game a year. In fact, he's had SIX four-INT games.

I hope you're right. Maybe I was understating Branch but he seems to disappear at times. Seems like feast or famine.

Your title sounds like we have sucked for years :rolleyes:

Branch had 15 receptions in the first 2 games
Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Branch, Woodhead. Who do you want him to throw the ball to Mankins?

2. We can blame McCourty for sophomore struggles but I tend to think the safety situation is at the root at it as well as the new style of pressure defense by corners. We all hope that releasing Sanders and Merriwether was not a big mistake.
Meriwhether and Sanders weren't making a difference. Its the scheme. We are relying on corners to play man to man when they can't cover for long enough for the pass rush to get there and the pass rush can't get there quick enough to play man.
This is that aggressive defense everyone wanted that gives up the big play. It has been an abject failure. Give me bend but don't break in support of the GOAT QB. We win going away today if we played last years scheme.

3. I'm predicting Leigh Bodden will be moved to safety and will be teamed up with Chung. I have to think Arrington is the starter opposite McCourty with Dowling next on the depth chart.
Why would you move a corner to safety and start your #4 corner?

4. Riddley looks more explosive than BJGE. I think Riddley will get the nod very shortly. The trust factor is what's holding him back. He had a heck of a block to protect Brady in today's game.
Yes that looks like it started today.

5. Pass rush is a consistent theme the past 5 years. It hasn't been good since McGinest and Vrabel. It seems like BB keeps getting guys on the cheap and throws it at the wall and hopes something sticks. I can't blame him because it's such a huge risk to draft a pass rusher or did he just wait too late after the draft to convert to a 4-3?
Pass rush doesn't come from a player, it comes from a unit. Every team in the NFL is disappointed with its pass rush because the ball comes out so quickly.

6. Chad Ocho is looking like another Galloway. I hope he can turn it around and we also need Albert to return to form of his dominating self a couple years back, but will he ever return to that form?
Way too early for that. He dropped a pass. He has been in the NFL for years and produced. He wouldn't be here if he couldn't be counted on to catch the ball. Everyone drops passes. He seems to me to be coming along actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye