PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remind Me Why Childress Can't be a Good Starter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Other than he hasn't been yet. OK, he's short, maybe even shorter than Branch. But he seems to have the athletic ability, remember he was Mr. Football in Ohio, a hotbed, his senior year in high school. And when he plays, he makes plays.

I'm not trying to be a Kool Aid drinker but why is it that it's 100% impossible that he could be a totally viable WR ?

He has certainly made his case. As of right now, I would say he's their number one receiver.

Andre Davis (who we should recieve a cp for) may be cut in Buffalo had 3 times as many receptions as him last year. We may well have a number of guys targeted to bring in.

BelichickFan said:
Other than he hasn't been yet. OK, he's short, maybe even shorter than Branch. But he seems to have the athletic ability, remember he was Mr. Football in Ohio, a hotbed, his senior year in high school. And when he plays, he makes plays.

I'm not trying to be a Kool Aid drinker but why is it that it's 100% impossible that he could be a totally viable WR ?

Because it doesn't jive with a doom and gloom scenario. You know that!:rolleyes:

mgcolby said:
Because it doesn't jive with a doom and gloom scenario. You know that!:rolleyes:
:)

I'm just thinking of Vrabel, Koppen, Givens, Gay, etc, who were nothing and became something. Not to mention Branch who was considered a bad pick in round two. Why not Bam, he seems to make plays whenever he's in.

BelichickFan said:
OK, he's short, maybe even shorter than Branch.

Childress is listed as 5' 10" and Branch as 5' 9" so I didn't understand. You think they listed him as taller than he is?

lobster said:
Childress is listed as 5' 10" and Branch as 5' 9" so I didn't understand. You think they listed him as taller than he is?

Childress is 5'10" in high heels.... maybe. No way he is an inch over 5'7", I would believe it if someone 5'6" told me that they stood next to him and towered over him.

But he can play in the NFL. I have no doubt about that.

lobster said:
I didn't realize that but as Oswelk said, all the talk I've heard is that Childress is REALLY short. May not be true, I don't know.

When you are watching a game, many times the pass is complete, and you cant see the receivers # at first. When that happened last night a few times my first thgought was its Troy Brown, and it was Childress.
If you look close he moves a lot like Troy. (and is similar size too)

AndyJohnson said:
When you are watching a game, many times the pass is complete, and you cant see the receivers # at first. When that happened last night a few times my first thgought was its Troy Brown, and it was Childress.

Bam reminds me of a young Troy Brown. I would place ahead of Caldwell on the depth chart.

AndyJohnson said:
Bingo! That was excactly how I saw him in the Miami game last season, and this preseason has done nothing to dispel that impression.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Bingo! That was excactly how I saw him in the Miami game last season, and this preseason has done nothing to dispel that impression.

Going back to my WR thread, Childress to me is a 'capable' WR. That plus Tom Brady should equal good production.
What Ive seen from Bam in his limited action is good awareness and quickness, and fine hands.
Can you really find a difference between Childress and David Givens (of course they are different players, with different strengths and weaknesses but seem at a very similar stage) at the end of year 1, going into year 2?
I dont think there was any reason to have higher expectation of Givens going into 2003 than of Childress going into 2006. Givens got his opportunity to move up from #4 to #3 to #2 during that SB season. Childress seems to be in reverse, because while Givens got his chance due to Patten, Brown, Branch being injured during the season, Childress may get his because Jackson and Branch arent available yet (if ever) and Caldwell may be less a factor at the start of the season, as he adapts to the system. Given the chance as the #2 or #3 Childress may just never relinquish it. (Eeery parallel to Troy Brown being a career spare part prior to BB then annointed starter and producing excellent #s)

AndyJohnson said:
Going back to my WR thread, Childress to me is a 'capable' WR. That plus Tom Brady should equal good production.
What Ive seen from Bam in his limited action is good awareness and quickness, and fine hands.
Can you really find a difference between Childress and David Givens (of course they are different players, with different strengths and weaknesses but seem at a very similar stage) at the end of year 1, going into year 2?
I dont think there was any reason to have higher expectation of Givens going into 2003 than of Childress going into 2006. Givens got his opportunity to move up from #4 to #3 to #2 during that SB season. Childress seems to be in reverse, because while Givens got his chance due to Patten, Brown, Branch being injured during the season, Childress may get his because Jackson and Branch arent available yet (if ever) and Caldwell may be less a factor at the start of the season, as he adapts to the system. Given the chance as the #2 or #3 Childress may just never relinquish it. (Eeery parallel to Troy Brown being a career spare part prior to BB then annointed starter and producing excellent #s)
Parallels or not, the kid is okay by me. :) I won't see Stone until the replay Sunday evening, though he sounded good in the camp reports and BB remarking on his big preseason game in Oakland a couple years back just has my SP antenna alert to see how this pick-up shapes up - though cutdowns tomorrow may answer that too quickly.

Hopefully Childress will see some playing time I think he could be a big contributor to the offense and make some clutch catches.

Maybe Bam will be the Patriot's version of that sneaky and very talented little son-of-a-gun that goes by the name of...

"Wayne Chrebet"

bostonbuzz said:
Maybe Bam will be the Patriot's version of that sneaky and very talented little son-of-a-gun that goes by the name of...

"Wayne Chrebet"

If Bam could even be 2/3 the receiver that Wayne was, everyone associated with the NE Pats would be very satisfied.

Oswlek said:
If Bam could even be 2/3 the receiver that Wayne was, everyone associated with the NE Pats would be very satisfied.

totally agree. Chrebet made a lot of plays. A LOT.

lobster said:

There is no way Childress is 5' 10". I just don't believe it.

Isn't Troy Brown 5"10"? Bam is shorter than Troy.

Despite his size, I think Bam can be a decent receiver. I have been a supporter of his since TC last year.

Last edited:
I'm all about giving a guy whos earned it a chance.At this point Bam Childress hqs shown he has some talent and is willing to put himself out there.Who knows..he may be a stud...Lets get him out there

Fumble-itis....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back