Welcome to PatsFans.com

Remind Me Why Childress Can't be a Good Starter ?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BelichickFan, Sep 1, 2006.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Other than he hasn't been yet. OK, he's short, maybe even shorter than Branch. But he seems to have the athletic ability, remember he was Mr. Football in Ohio, a hotbed, his senior year in high school. And when he plays, he makes plays.

I'm not trying to be a Kool Aid drinker but why is it that it's 100% impossible that he could be a totally viable WR ?
  2. TNPatsFan

TNPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He has certainly made his case. As of right now, I would say he's their number one receiver.
  3. jct

jct Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Andre Davis (who we should recieve a cp for) may be cut in Buffalo had 3 times as many receptions as him last year. We may well have a number of guys targeted to bring in.
  4. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Because it doesn't jive with a doom and gloom scenario. You know that!:rolleyes:
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

:)

I'm just thinking of Vrabel, Koppen, Givens, Gay, etc, who were nothing and became something. Not to mention Branch who was considered a bad pick in round two. Why not Bam, he seems to make plays whenever he's in.
  6. lobster

lobster Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Childress is listed as 5' 10" and Branch as 5' 9" so I didn't understand. You think they listed him as taller than he is?
  7. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Childress is 5'10" in high heels.... maybe. No way he is an inch over 5'7", I would believe it if someone 5'6" told me that they stood next to him and towered over him.

But he can play in the NFL. I have no doubt about that.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +438 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I didn't realize that but as Oswelk said, all the talk I've heard is that Childress is REALLY short. May not be true, I don't know.
  9. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 20 / -14

When you are watching a game, many times the pass is complete, and you cant see the receivers # at first. When that happened last night a few times my first thgought was its Troy Brown, and it was Childress.
    If you look close he moves a lot like Troy. (and is similar size too)
  10. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +162 / 7 / -13

Bam reminds me of a young Troy Brown. I would place ahead of Caldwell on the depth chart.
  11. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Bingo! That was excactly how I saw him in the Miami game last season, and this preseason has done nothing to dispel that impression.
  12. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +584 / 20 / -14

Going back to my WR thread, Childress to me is a 'capable' WR. That plus Tom Brady should equal good production.
    What Ive seen from Bam in his limited action is good awareness and quickness, and fine hands.
    Can you really find a difference between Childress and David Givens (of course they are different players, with different strengths and weaknesses but seem at a very similar stage) at the end of year 1, going into year 2?
    I dont think there was any reason to have higher expectation of Givens going into 2003 than of Childress going into 2006. Givens got his opportunity to move up from #4 to #3 to #2 during that SB season. Childress seems to be in reverse, because while Givens got his chance due to Patten, Brown, Branch being injured during the season, Childress may get his because Jackson and Branch arent available yet (if ever) and Caldwell may be less a factor at the start of the season, as he adapts to the system. Given the chance as the #2 or #3 Childress may just never relinquish it. (Eeery parallel to Troy Brown being a career spare part prior to BB then annointed starter and producing excellent #s)
  13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Parallels or not, the kid is okay by me. :) I won't see Stone until the replay Sunday evening, though he sounded good in the camp reports and BB remarking on his big preseason game in Oakland a couple years back just has my SP antenna alert to see how this pick-up shapes up - though cutdowns tomorrow may answer that too quickly.
  14. Ceresco

Ceresco Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hopefully Childress will see some playing time I think he could be a big contributor to the offense and make some clutch catches.
  15. bostonbuzz

bostonbuzz Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Maybe Bam will be the Patriot's version of that sneaky and very talented little son-of-a-gun that goes by the name of...

"Wayne Chrebet"
  16. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

If Bam could even be 2/3 the receiver that Wayne was, everyone associated with the NE Pats would be very satisfied.
  17. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 1 / -0

totally agree. Chrebet made a lot of plays. A LOT.
  18. Patti37

Patti37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There is no way Childress is 5' 10". I just don't believe it.

Isn't Troy Brown 5"10"? Bam is shorter than Troy.

Despite his size, I think Bam can be a decent receiver. I have been a supporter of his since TC last year.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  19. Patriots4Ever

Patriots4Ever Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm all about giving a guy whos earned it a chance.At this point Bam Childress hqs shown he has some talent and is willing to put himself out there.Who knows..he may be a stud...Lets get him out there
  20. rabthepat

rabthepat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Fumble-itis....
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2006