PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember when special teams play was a big worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the not to distant past, during our 0-4 pre-season,
Special Teams play was a major concern for most of us.

I honestly can't remember if it was really good durig the KC game. It couldn't have been too bad or it would have been mentioned.

However, Special Teams play during the Jets game made all the difference in the world. We had excellent field position all game long and the Jets had bad field postiion all game long.

Lets hope that this solid play continues. With a green QB, field position is vital. Players play, but Brad Seely deserves kudo's for turning this around.

Last edited:
Lets hope that fans finally learn not to buy into the hyping of preseason games and not read anything into them. Something tells me they won't.

Last edited:
When you are a championship caliber team, the preseason has 2 points of significance-

1). try to stay healthy
2). play rookies and TC invitees more then your vets to see if any of them can contribute. Usually, you're looking for practice squad guys, because your roster is pretty well set.

Mmm... I'm as happy as anyone about the win but, please!, Homer: no jinx.

Gost won't kick it through the end-zone every time, the opposition punter won't be as erratic as Graham, Hanson won't kick it into the endzone for a touchback -- no, scrub that, he probably will, but you get my message. There wasn't an awful lot for special teams to do.

So, yes, it was great, but Special Teams are still a big worry for me. The day I stop worrying about Special Teams is the day you have to worry ...

Last edited:
Mmm... I'm as happy as anyone about the win but, please!, Homer: no jinx.

Gost won't kick it through the end-zone every time, the opposition punter won't be as erratic as Graham, Hanson won't kick it into the endzone for a touchback -- no, scrub that, he probably will, but you get my message. There wasn't an awful lot for special teams to do.

So, yes, it was great, but Special Teams are still a big worry for me. The day I stop worrying about Special Teams is the day you have to worry ...

There is a poster at the Planet named ParanoidPatriot. You may want to see if you can rent the name for over here.:p

You don't need much from the coverage units when Gost kick out of the end zone, or at the very least deep into the end zone. That won't last into winter.

There is a poster at the Planet named ParanoidPatriot. You may want to see if you can rent the name for over here.:p

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion, but no. It's worrying about the Patriots that helps me to live my carefree, volcano-dancing existence.

And did you notice that the Jets have just cut their punter?

I repeat: we can't assume that Gostkowski will always kick it out of the end zone or that other teams will have such an inadequate punter.

You don't need much from the coverage units when Gost kick out of the end zone, or at the very least deep into the end zone. That won't last into winter.

True, but ST were horrible in pre-season. They won't be like they were last Sunday every game, but Brad deserves some praise for bringing them back.

Last edited:

Gost actually had a bionic leg put in over the offseason...

Gost actually had a bionic leg put in over the offseason...

Pennington should see if they do arms. Imagine that guy with Favre's cannon....

BionicChad.jpg

heh.........

It's not a worry!!!!(even though it's only week 2 and 2 bad weeks from now will have chicken little here)

actually, it's an old .jpg posted on THIS board a few years back...I think it was originally found on the Gang Green board

actually, it's an old .jpg posted on THIS board a few years back...I think it was originally found on the Gang Green board

gotcha go figure a jet fan supporting their own qb

Great effort on Sunday by special teams, just tremendous.

Eckel was brought back to be a fulltime starting running back... well maybe not, they must feel a little light on special teams coverage. It is difficult to get a read on the coverage units when every kick was a touchback but so far so good.

As far as the returners, it goes to show you how much things have changed. I used to cover my eyes when Faulk returned punts, a knew a fumble was coming at any point. Now I feel confident in his steady hands.

Hobbs is a good returner but I would rather see Maroney, Lo Mo hasn't been used much but always seems to get a decent return. We have much more depth at RB than CB, an injury to Hobbs would hurt.

I'm still trying to figure out why Gost hasn't kicked every kickoff out if the endzone for the past 3 years. Seems to come pretty easy to him.

I'm still trying to figure out why Gost hasn't kicked every kickoff out if the endzone for the past 3 years. Seems to come pretty easy to him.

That bionic leg he's been asking for wasn't available until this past offseason.

That bionic leg he's been asking for wasn't available until this past offseason.

Well I'm glad they decided to take these legs out of Iraq for civilian use

Guts and Hansen did just fine...but I am a bit concerned when they face a top notch returner...I WISH every kick could be into teh endzone..but realistically..can't happen. So they will show more against players like Sproles...but optimistic now...on many fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes