PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember Spurrier and the Skins?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Running up the Score was Spurrier's trademark--and undoubtedly something that made him ATTRACTIVE to Redskin Management. Snyder salivated after this guy for years--which is why Coach Spurrier got that $25 million dollar contract ten years ago, for his first NFL job.

The only reason he didn't do it with the Skins is because his teams stunk.
Ironic isn't it.

Running up the Score was Spurrier's trademark--and undoubtedly something that made him ATTRACTIVE to Redskin Management. Snyder salivated after this guy for years--which is why Coach Spurrier got that $25 million dollar contract ten years ago, for his first NFL job.

Ironic isn't it.

The guy's ego was laughable-there were times the Skins would win ugly 10-3, 14-6 games, and he would walk off the field like someone ran over his dog.

Ironic isn't it.
Actually they did run up the score, but unfortunatley for the skins thoose games were all in the preseason

I went to UF, and lived in Gainesville between 1990 - 2001. These are the years that Spurrier was there.

Yes, he has a great big ego. But, he did ok with the skins if you compare his record.

But, the running up the score point is the really good one here. The Gators were constantly rideculed for "running up" the score. Everyone said that the gators would pay. Everyone, all the commentators, etc said that when his time came, it would get ugly and he would get beat down. They said that he would not get recruits. They said his offence was gimmicky. All kinds of crap.

But ya know, people loved to play for the guy. They still do. South Carolina is doing better than it ever has. (and don't forget that Lou Holtz was there for a good bit.) Further, the games and teams that Spurrier coaches are always exciting, and certainly when he was with Florida, they were right there challenging for the National Title. Every year.

My point. Don't ever worry about these fools talking about running up the score. And, about the consequences. The consequences are that the team will play the whole freak'n game, non stop and will probably beat the snot out of the opposition. The Gators knew, every week that they were going to see the best from the opposition. And it was wonderful.

These are great times for the Pats. They have learned something very important in my opinion. We won't see many 3 yard and a cloud of dust second halfs, where some team comes back from the cript to beat us. We will keep the foot firmly on the old adams apple.

I totally don't understand this running up the score bit. It's the new soft media in action I think.

1 - its not "bullying" to run up the score. Bullying is when one person berates or takes advantage of another with some kind of coercion in an encounter the "bullyee" didn't even want to have. Profession Football teams WANT to play the game. it's a mutual confrontation between two peers. It's not bullying!

2 - no one gripes about other "bullys" in sports. Roger Federer routinely breadsticks and bagels his opponents by 6-1 and 6-0 scores. Does anyone consider this guy anything but nice and boring? Is he a "bully"?!

Pete

In Spurrier's first preseason game against the 49ers in Osaka, he ran up the score 38-7. When he got back to his office, he hung the ball like a pelt taken from a hunt.

I totally don't understand this running up the score bit. It's the new soft media in action I think.

1 - its not "bullying" to run up the score. Bullying is when one person berates or takes advantage of another with some kind of coercion in an encounter the "bullyee" didn't even want to have. Profession Football teams WANT to play the game. it's a mutual confrontation between two peers. It's not bullying!

2 - no one gripes about other "bullys" in sports. Roger Federer routinely breadsticks and bagels his opponents by 6-1 and 6-0 scores. Does anyone consider this guy anything but nice and boring? Is he a "bully"?!

Pete

People are not rational in manny cases. We look at things and wonder, because we try to be rational. But so many people are simply irrational.

He beat the Patriots with Brady and Bellichick
And so did Buffalo that year... want to know what happened the next time we played Buffalo? Similar results to last Sunday's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back