PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember Last Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Capable was a poor choice of word on my behalf TommyBrady12. I should have worded it to better reflect my position. They are finding good defenses problematic.

No more than anyone else. They put up 23 against a team that was allowing 14 a game while barfing away at least 3 at the half, and at least 3 more on the red zone Int. They certainly played well enough to put up 29, which is a hell of a day vs a good D, and even 23 is good. They put up 30 vs Bmore.
The only good D that was problematic was Arizona, and that could be no more than just a bad day.

I don't think those are tough games at all.

You used the last 10 years as a timeframe.
We are 29-11 vs those 2 teams in that timeframe, and both are not as good as the average of what they were in that time frame.
We are not losing any of those games.

I said I thought they'd go 3-1 in those 4 games vs NYJ and MIA.

Our difference of opinion seems to be between my 3-1 and your 4-0.

For what it's worth the Jets beat us in 2006, 2008, 2009, and 2010, so they beat us at least once every season 4x in the last 6 years.

No more than anyone else. They put up 23 against a team that was allowing 14 a game while barfing away at least 3 at the half, and at least 3 more on the red zone Int. They certainly played well enough to put up 29, which is a hell of a day vs a good D, and even 23 is good. They put up 30 vs Bmore.
The only good D that was problematic was Arizona, and that could be no more than just a bad day.

I don't think the offense is anywhere near the problem, besides the fact that they've made it one hell of a habit in the past 5-6 yrs of not being able to close out games on a consistent basis.

Besides that problem, it's hard to argue with the number of pts they often score, but they have often failed in games they had the opportunity to close out so that would likely be my only gripe---but it could be perceived as a big problem in itself.

The pass defense is what has plagued this team for quite awhile now, and any homer can obviously see that. If they don't get a DPI penalty first, they wrap their arms around the opposing receiver's waist and attempt to tackle them to the ground instead of actually playing the ball. I don't know if it is a lack of talent or a lack of coaching, a combination of the two, or whatever...but it has easily been the difference between winning and losing many times now.

2006---pass defense fails against IND in the AFCCG + offense fails to close the game out on multiple attempts

2007---pass defense fails against the NYG in the SB + offense fails as a whole

2008---pass defense fails in multiple critical 3rd down attempts in important games such as the NYJ overtime game

2009---pass defense fails in mutiple games + offense fails as a whole vs BAL in playoffs

2010---pass defense fails vs NYJ in playoffs on multiple occasions + offense fails as a whole, staying at 13 until the late 4th quarter

2011---pass defense fails vs NYG in the SB (and the regular season) + offense fails to close out the game on multiple attempts

2012---pass defense fails in games vs BAL, SEA so far + offense fails to close out the game in multiple attempts

Although it's way more on the pass defense than the offense, BOTH have certainly contributed to the multiple failures of the team, as one rarely bails the other out in important situations when it matters.

It would be great if the Pats went 11-5. The way they are playing now, I think they are closer to 9-7 but you never know. Lot of football left this year.

stop 12-4 were running **** bull**** lost to miami or something wack like that. We beat both 49ers and Houston.

I've close my eyes and I am imagining........I'm working it as fast and as hard as I can, but it's just not working.......the picture is not producing the pleasure I need

maybe I'll try david hasslehoff

you can't always count on 10 straight wins

Further to that, this team hasn't finished at 0.500 or below since 2000. Are we spoiled? yes, but you can understand why being 0.500 is concerning anytime after week 2.

...and yes, I was concerned in 2005 when we were 5-5 too.

There's a big difference between being .500 and 2 games over .500, even if the Patriots had 3 losses in both scenarios. I think they'll go on a big winning streak just because of the schedules, but I also have them losing four straight (from week 12 @NYJ to week 15 vs SF). Luckily, 9-7 should be enough this year.

Your lack of faith is disturbing. If the Pats lose 4 straight btw they are not making it into the playoffs.

I think 11-5 is doable at this point. But that means the Pats need to win 8 out of 10 games. Losing the game against Seattle is huge. The upcoming Jets game is a MUST WIN. If they Pats win that one then they are in good shape to take the AFCE. Winning the division title is key. I think they are in a bind to catch up because two teams in the AFC are at 5-1. So they are 2 games behind and likely won't get a 1st round bye in the playoffs this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes