PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Remember folks, he's just a KICKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
brdmaverick said:
just a kicker?

tell that to the '05 Cowboys or '04 Jets

Those teams didn't have kickers so much as they scapegoats.

The 04 Jets blamed not going to the title game on the kicker. The truth was Herm played scared and settled for long kicks in the worst kicking stadium the NFL has ever seen.

The 05 Boys seem to talk a lot about missing the playoffs by a game due to the K. Didn't they also miss by a game due to the QB throwing as dumb a pass as you'll ever see and costing them the game in Seattle - a game that the Seahawks only could have won in regulation if the dope playing QB threw a short out on the 2nd to last play of the game that they picked off and returned to set up their own K.

I'm not saying I don't want a good kicker. I just can't listen anymore to people who make it seem like Adam is right up there with BB and Brady as the reasons we have 3 titles. No doubt that was the case in 2001. Somehow that has gotten carried over for the other 2 and it just isn't so. In the second of these SB that he won he missed 2 of his 3 kicks. If Brady doesn't take them down the field in the last 2 minutes Adam was the goat in that game. In the third Super Bowl he made some extra points and a 20 YD FG with 6 minutes left up 7.

Last edited:
Yet another negative post about an ex- Patriot.who was an integral component to their success. It won't sting as much if we knock him down a few pegs to make us feel better about the Pats for next season. :rolleyes:

It's a predictable trend here. If we had re- signed him there'd be several posts trumpeting how we retained the greatest clutch kicker in NFL history.

If we sign Vanderjerk the whiffer he'll be annointed as the greatest...

Hypocrisy reigns.

SoonerPatriot said:
Actually, I think the parting of ways was mutual. Adam has said repeteadly he wanted to finish his career in a warm climate or a dome. I think he knows it's getting close to the end and he views playing in a dome as a way to extend his career. Since the Pats have no plans to build a dome, I'm not sure where your "expert" analysis comes in.

And yeah, I think it's chickensh!t to pull out a bunch of stats now when if someone did it a year ago you would have been putting up a fierce argument on how that person was wrong and how Adam was a great kicker yada yada yada.

Saying he is just another kicker is patently wrong. Jose Cortez is just another kicker. Paul Edinger is just another kicker.

Again were you saying he was just another kicker a year ago, or two? Funny how things change.

Maybe you should take reading comprehension classes. There is a difference between saying that AV is "just a kicker" and your misinterpretation that "AV is just ANOTHER kicker". Think about it for a second:

AV, while BETTER than most kickers, at the end of the day, is still just a kicker. Is he great? Yes, he is. However, I'd rather have an average kicker and a great WR than the other way around. In fact, I'd rather have a great LT, QB, WR, RB, LB, DE or CB than have a great kicker. In the grand scheme of football, it's not even remotely close to the most important position on the field.

The same point is made in a different way here:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=747&Category=1

No panic here

"In Bill I trust" Just look at last year and all the struggles we had and we still won the division and won a playoff game. And I say the Steelers were lucky to go to Denver than Foxboro. :rocker:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back