Welcome to PatsFans.com

Remember Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The home of the Taliban, Al Qaida and Bin Laden, all the evil that we are supposedly fighting today in Iraq?

Not only are they still the number one producer of opium and hashish ih the world, but the snakes are still very much present.

This was the right place for the war against terrorism and it was legitimate.
    This was the opportunity and the whole world was with us.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060411/ap_on_re_as/afghan_school_explosion
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

Could not agree more, seems like this country has a huge case of ADD, cannot focus on the important stuff for more than a few seconds...
  3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thats if you are of the opinion that it wasn't a planned "bait and switch" from the outset.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Stopping terrorism is way bigger than worrying about Opium in Afghanistan. I'm not saying we're doing it right or that it's even possible but focusing on Afghanistan is missing the big picture. I don't think the middle east is fixable, though.
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Stopping Opium in Afghanistan goes a long way in stopping terrorism and has some great effects.
  6. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The terrorists are loving their new found source of revenue Im sure.
  7. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Freedom is on the march in Iraq (too bad he's busy planting an IED).
  8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +299 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Like I said, the goal is to get rid of the dictatorships in places like Iraq and start a groundswell of democracy and citizen run countries that won't stand for mass terrorism just like we wouldn't. Has it been done the right way ? Maybe not. Will it work ? Probably not. But that's the goal and it's a noble effort.
  9. Turk

Turk Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

So, why did not we start with Afghanistan, you know the country that harbored Bin Laden and Al Qaida and Taliban, and the rest of the snakes, where they were actually beheading women for just looking at another man than the one they made her marry at the age of 11, where they actually sponsored terrorism?
    When asked why they were using a soccer stadium built by the UN for public executions of women, the Taliban interior minister's answer was "well, where do they expect us to do it? If it bothers the western world so much, they should build us an execution facility as well".
    The opium production is just another reason, on top of the hundred or so why the war in Afghanistan was the right war.
    There is nothing noble about this war in Iraq.
    Wrong war, wrong place, wrong message.
  10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Often, one person's perception of a dictatorship is another person's perception of a democracy. For instance, many people see our country as run by largely the same people, same families, and same values, regardless of which party is in power. Although we have a good legal system, there's plenty of evidence that that system has sentenced hundreds of people wrongly to death, has targeted blacks unfairly, has mistreated Arabs, and so on. So, your point of view is rather naive, if you think that America is the great white hope ready to save the rest of the world. That point of view existed during the age of Colonialism, too, and the damage done is only being reinforced by our actions.

I too like America better than any other country, but that's because I know how it works. If you lived and grew up in almost any other country, and were part of the middle class, you would probably feel quite comfortable. Most people don't come here for freedom; they are poor and come for economic opportunity, which is often denied them at home because of the stranglehold that western corporations have and because of the corrupt government that western government often embrace. There's no way, even if we're successful in Iraq, that that government is going to be truly independent. Once they try to nationalize their oil wells that will become apparent.

Also, from the perception of many Iraqis and Afghanis our attacks are no different than the attacks on the WTC. Until we came along, most of them were leading fairly ordinary lives, but the war has wreaked havoc on those lives.
  11. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

Take it from someone in the know...we have a large amount of military in that region. Obviously we have more in Iraq, but we still have a large portion of our people scouring the rough terrain and hunting for Osama and others in Afgahanastan...just not much coverage of it in the news due to the ongoing classified ops.
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Obviously, it' not enough if an enfeebled old man can keep on hiding. I bet the people there regard us as terrorists, except those of course we put into power with cushy jobs and contracts.
  13. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

A noble effort would be to take a page out of JFK's U.S.S. Hope. To give aid to these third world countries that are dying of malnutrition and drinking tainted water. Bush ok'd his Sec. of Treasury's trip to some of those impoverished countries in Africa and came back with a plan. For a paltry $25 million we could resolve a countries plight of drinking poisonous water, thus saving thousands of lives. Now, some will argue this is not our business, then turn around and exclaim the goodwill we are doing in Iraq by giving these people freedom and saving lives, huh. Truth be told, we are already sending money to some of these countries, problem is its' not being managed properly. Not to mention, by aiding these countries, it will help us down the road when surely a dictatorship arises. Democracy is not achieved through bombing a country because you don't approve of their style of government. Secondly, because you were wrong in the initial step, you don't continue because its convenient. Historians are saying this is not winnable versus the Bush's and Rumsfield's interpretation. Which theory do you think holds more value?
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

I have contended this all along, would it have been a better alternative to focus on Afghanistan and spend half of the money we are spending in Iraq on humanitarian aid in places like Palestine, Somalia, Ethopia..some of the views of the US might be different..and it may be easier to recruit allies for whatever our causes may be.
  15. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I understand the frustration, but you have to actually see the terrain over there to appriciate it. It would be like trying to catch a specific mole in the state of Colorado. Not only is there about a million different holes the mole could be in, but the mole keeps moving. All the other moles are helping him hide and throw us off the sent. It is not like we can have 100,000 troop scour the country side. We have to send teams of 20 to manuver through the mountainous terrain and serch each cave. It is more complex than everyone is willing to believe.

I do agree that 90% of our effort should be, and should have been on Bin Laden in Afgahan. Right now i think it is 40%
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -9

That FEEBLE old man that is hiding in a cave is laughing his a ss off at America, he slaughtered 3000 human beings in two hours, and he has American Liberals that are ready and waiting to make sure his "Civil Liberties" aren't violated when we catch the Filthy Smelly Dog, and "catch him we will".

We still aren't sure we got Hitler, 60 yrs ago.
  17. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So your boy Bush is busy hunting him down and it's LIBERALS that are stopping him? Don't you ever get tired of being full of s--t? Bush forgot about Osama the minute we went into Iraq.
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -9

I didn't say liberals are stopping him I said "they are waiting", they are waiting to "CODDLE OSAMA" and protect his civil rights when he is caught.

As far as Bush goes he is in big trouble, and he has nobody to blame but himself.

Not many of you Liberals are complaining about his Illegal Alien love affair though, Bush is one of you when it comes to the "Criminal Aliens"

Not a thread on here about the Aliens, you guys love the "Bush Policy", why don't you give him credit for it, Bush hasn't done a damn thing to Protect Our Borders, he is a F-cking Liberal when it comes to the Borders.

I hope the Illegal Aliens INVADE Hollywood :singing:
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +354 / 1 / -9

I didn't say liberals are stopping him I said "they are waiting", they are waiting to "CODDLE OSAMA" and protect his civil rights when he is caught.

As far as Bush goes he is in big trouble, and he has nobody to blame but himself.

Not many of you Liberals are complaining about his Illegal Alien love affair though, Bush is one of you when it comes to the "Criminal Aliens"

Not a thread on here about the Aliens, you guys love the "Bush Policy", why don't you give him credit for it, Bush hasn't done a damn thing to Protect Our Borders, he is a F-cking Liberal when it comes to the Borders.

I hope the Illegal Aliens INVADE Hollywood :singing:
  20. bmf31c

bmf31c Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I know you didn't mean it in that context but to say he IS busy hunting him down is a false statement. That person you are referring to has never served a day in his life.