PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rematch Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, given that the Patriots road to a championship would include at least 2 rematch games, with a 50/50 chance of a third, I started wondering how the Patriots have done under Belichick/Brady in rematch games in the playoffs.

The numbers surprised me a bit. Every elimination game -- that is all 6 times the Patriots have been eliminated under Belichick -- was a rematch game. Patriots' overall record in rematch games in the playoffs is 8-6. Five of those wins came in the three Super Bowl championship years, with the most famous of course being the Rams. Since the last Super Bowl win, the Patriots are 3-6 in rematch games in the playoffs. I didn't break it down by whether they won or lost the regular season game.

I think there's something to the notion that rematch games level the playing field a bit. I think maybe they neutralize one of our advantages, which is coaching. We give the other team film and help them prep.

In non-rematch playoff games in the Belichick era, the Patriots are 8-0.

Very interesting. Thank you for the work, sir!

I think the MNF game between the Texans and Patriots was more like the Patriots exposing the Texans weaknesses than just being "the Patriots' night".

But I have big optimism coming into Sunday's rematch. Gronk is coming back!!!! The run game, play-action, pass blocking and red zone offense will be even better! The Patriots just need to stay focused and execute. Execution is the main thing in Sunday's game.

I think the MNF game between the Texans and Patriots was more like the Patriots exposing the Texans weaknesses than just being "the Patriots' night".

But I have big optimism coming into Sunday's rematch. Gronk is coming back!!!! The run game, play-action, pass blocking and red zone offense will be even better! The Patriots just need to stay focused and execute. Execution is the main thing in Sunday's game.

I actually think the exposing started on Thanksgiving Day. When I saw that opening drive by the Lions, I thought they ran a lot of Patriots-type plays that worked. As we all know, Texans were very lucky to win that game.

Seeing that the Pats hung 42 points on on HOU, I'm not sure how much better they will be offensively but with the addition of Gronk make this a much different game for fatty Phillips to game-plan against.

I also believe that a healthier Chandler Jones allows the defense to apply more pressure on Schaub w/o blitzing and not losing anything on the run D side by playing Scott or Francis.

I would think that common sense would suggest otherwise.

After all, if Team A beats Team B in game 1 most often that is because Team A is better than Team B. If Team A is better than Team B, common sense would seem to suggest Team A would be favored to win a rematch.

Well the numbers certainly suggest otherwise, don't they?

7-6 in rematch games vs 8-0 in non-rematch games?

No matter how you try and spin it, if 2 teams are decently matched the odds favor a split more likely than not.

The only question is to how much the 2 teams are "evenly" matched, and that's where opinions will differ.

We saw cases just this year alone where every single divisional team gave us very good games with BUF, the NYJ, and MIA all being very close, despite the huge matchup differential, so even that theory is somewhat flawed too.

It's also why I wouldn't mind a rematch with Baltimore too (or SEA for that matter).

EDIT: And FWIW, I'm not talking about "who's favored." That is totally irrelevant in this point.

This doesn't mean that I am one who is worried about the potential of beating HOU or DEN a second time around, I'm only stating that the numbers obviously point a lot closer to my theory than yours, as playoff matchups tend to be closer in nature...hence the 7-6 rematch record.

Last edited:
I would think that the odds would go down for beating the same opponent both times in the same year, just from a common sense perspective.

Supafly, just reread your statement and perhaps I initially misinterpreted it.

Are you saying.....

1.) Given a victory in the first match, the victors chances of another victory are decreased in a rematch.

or

2.) The odds of beating a team twice in one season are lower than beating a team once?

I initially interpretted as the first statement, if it is the second one then I completely agree with you.

But if it was the first one, I was just merely suggesting that common sense would actually suggest differently. After all, if 100 different people who knew nothing about football (crazy, I know) had to place a wager on a game, it's a crapshoot what team they would put money on (you'd expect almost a 50/50 split). BUT, if you told these people that these two teams already played each other and TEAM A was victorious, most people using common sense would put their money on Team A.

That's all I'm saying. It's sounded like your argument was that it's tough to beat a team twice in one season, so if Team A won the first game then you would put your money on team B for the rematch. If you continued to make wagers like that you would be broke. My apologies if I have misinterpretted your argument and that is not what you were saying.

Well the numbers certainly suggest otherwise, don't they?

7-6 in rematch games vs 8-0 in non-rematch games?

Not exactly.

If the question is...."In rematches in the NFL playoffs, does the victor of the first match usually win the rematch?"

If that's the question, then you are referring to flawed stats.

Whether the Pats were 8-0 or 0-8 in non-rematch games, this stat has absolutely no relevance to the probability of the Pats winning a rematch game.

By referring to the stat of 7-6 in rematch games, you are not considering whether or not the Patriots won the first matchup. In two cases (Denver 2005, Giants 2011), the Pats lost both the first and rematch games. While these two games count as knocks against hte Pats record in rematch games, they act in favor of the argument that the first game victor wins the rematch.

Even with these two gams though, in looking at only Pats rematches as our sample size since 2001, I have calculated that the winner of the regular season matchup is only 8-6 in the playoff rematch. While that is over 0.500, that's close enough to almost call it even. Therefore, what I have deduced is that in the playoffs, the winner of the regular season matchup provides little to no insight over who will win the playoff rematch. Those are the same odds that would be given to two equally matched teams. That would seem to make sense, too. After all, the entire playoff field should be filled with teams that are relatively close in talent.

So there you have it. Both of our theories are disproved.

It disproves my theory that the first match victor most likely will win the rematch.

and...

It also disproves your theory that the first match loser is likely to win the rematch.

In other words, if you flipped a coin twice the way the first flip lands has zero relevance to the second flip.

No matter how you try and spin it, if 2 teams are decently matched the odds favor a split more likely than not.

Probability textbooks say otherwise.

With Teams A and B have equal chances of victory...

In a two game series,

Team A has a 25% chance of sweeping the series
Team B has a 25% chance of sweepng the series
and a 50% chance of splitting the series.

Or when looked at slighlty differently, there is a 50% chance of a sweep and a 50% chance of a split.

*When I used the term 'favored' in my prior post I didn't mean in the Vegas line sense but instead in a probably expectation sense.

I hope I'm making my argument in a logical way. I'm good with numbers but I know sometimes I don't word things so well, and the message is lost. Maybe at the end of the day we are saying the same thing, but in a different way.

Just promise me one thing........

When the Pats have a 8 game win streak against the Jets...heading into the next game don't be THAT guy that predicts the Pats will lose because it's tough to win 9 in a row against a team.

When the Pats win that one, don't head into hte next game saying..the Pats will lose this game because it's tough to beat a team 10 times in a row.

When the Pats win that one, don't head into the next matchup saying...the Pats will lose this game because it's tough to beat a team 11 times in a row. THen if they happen to lose, shout out "SEE I TOLD YOU SO!"

Just don't be that guy.

I hope I'm making my argument in a logical way. I'm good with numbers but I know sometimes I don't word things so well, and the message is lost. Maybe at the end of the day we are saying the same thing, but in a different way.

I think that's exactly what happened, and it hardly matters anyway to be honest. For what it's worth, I was saying that it was my opinion that it's more difficult to beat the same team again both times, as long as the teams are pretty well matched up. (Choice #2, so we actually both agree)

Obviously we've seen the divisional games where the Pats have won plenty of times in a row (ex.BUF up until last year), and even have the high majority in a win percentage base (ex.NYJ or MIA), but those aren't the kind of examples that I was really referring to, due to the poor matchups to begin with. I was leaning more towards "playoff matchups" which tend to pit opponents of closer talent and skillset.

There's always a chance that either I worded it poorly, or you may have simply misinterpreted it, but either way...it really doesn't matter too much anyway. It's really just one person's opinion and in many of these debates there isn't necessarily a right and a wrong to me.

Just promise me one thing........

When the Pats have a 8 game win streak against the Jets...heading into the next game don't be THAT guy that predicts the Pats will lose because it's tough to win 9 in a row against a team.

When the Pats win that one, don't head into hte next game saying..the Pats will lose this game because it's tough to beat a team 10 times in a row.

When the Pats win that one, don't head into the next matchup saying...the Pats will lose this game because it's tough to beat a team 11 times in a row. THen if they happen to lose, shout out "SEE I TOLD YOU SO!"

Just don't be that guy.

I can certainly promise you that I won't be that guy ;) no worries there.

So far the losers are 1-0 in their revenge match ups this weekend, with Baltimore pulling the big upset in 2OT in Denver. GB is currently up 14-7 on SF. I'm sure BB will keep that in mind, if any extra reminder is needed about rematches being unpredictable.

Last edited:
Looks like 1-1 in rematch games, as SF is annihilating GB in the 4th with less than 4 minutes to go.

So what I'm getting here is if we beat Texas, we have a lock on the AFCC and a SB win, as long as its against Seattle or San Fran?

Last edited:
So, given that the Patriots road to a championship would include at least 2 rematch games, with a 50/50 chance of a third, I started wondering how the Patriots have done under Belichick/Brady in rematch games in the playoffs.

The numbers surprised me a bit. Every elimination game -- that is all 6 times the Patriots have been eliminated under Belichick -- was a rematch game. Patriots' overall record in rematch games in the playoffs is 8-6. Five of those wins came in the three Super Bowl championship years, with the most famous of course being the Rams. Since the last Super Bowl win, the Patriots are 3-6 in rematch games in the playoffs. I didn't break it down by whether they won or lost the regular season game.

I think there's something to the notion that rematch games level the playing field a bit. I think maybe they neutralize one of our advantages, which is coaching. We give the other team film and help them prep.

In non-rematch playoff games in the Belichick era, the Patriots are 8-0.

Fascinating Study. Tremendous Work, Sir!!
beer.gif

A Rebuttal, though, respectably submitted. I suspect that those numbers are derivative:

1 ~ It may well simply be that the reason we went 5-0 in Rematches in our Championship Campaigns ~ so far ~ and 3-6, since, is simply because those Teams of ours didn't lose any Games ~ Rematches or otherwise ~ and were simply better all around Teams...as they most undeniably were. It may well be ~ and indeed, I believe it is ~ that, given a sufficient Arsenal of Talent and Experience in this whirlwind Salary Cap Era, Coach Bill The Mad (Genius) is virtually invincible in Rematches: I can tell you that when we went to face the Steelers in The Final Four in 2004, I was not only thirsting for Steeler Blood, I was fully expecting it.

2 ~ I did not feel that sense of cool, boiling Confidence in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, or 2011.

3 ~ But I feel it now, By God.

This Offense is Using The Whole Pig.

It is Balanced, as I have been pleading it to become, ere these many Year.

And this Defense is rapidly improving, before our very eyes.

Rapidly.

We are poised, Gentlemen.

Yes?? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey