PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reloading mid-season at LB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they should bring Redd up for experience and depth. Obviously they don't have a better option than woods, but Redd would be valuable depth maybe they can sneak him in certain packages. The dude looks ridiculously quick.

On the free agent side, another longshot is Jason Babin.

I noticed Babin's name on Draft Daddy's list. He's an intriguing possibility as a former 1st-round pick, but did he ever play 3-4 OLB w/ Houston?

Steelers just cut rookie UDFA LB Donovan Woods. He made the opening day 53-man roster, but had hamstring injuries so they sent him back down to the PS. They recently promoted him back to the 53, but released him today to sign our old friend Fernando Bryant.

Obviously the Steelers play a 3-4 as well and have been known to have a good eye for LB talent. Wonder if the Pats take a look at him. 6'2 230 lbs, so a bit smallish and might need to put on some weight, but figured it was worth bringing up in this thread.

Obviously the Steelers play a 3-4 as well and have been known to have a good eye for LB talent. Wonder if the Pats take a look at him. 6'2 230 lbs, so a bit smallish and might need to put on some weight, but figured it was worth bringing up in this thread.

A Steelers cast-off LB might actually be decent. Seems a bit small, but strength is a factor you can't always guess by size. Maybe they'll bump up Redd and sign Woods to the PS?

The Adalius Thomas thread is badly polluted with "I broke the news first"/"No you didn't" BS. I don't want to wade through it, so I'm starting over.

Here's how I see it:

• Mayo and Guyton are rookies. Expecting them to play elsewhere than ILB is unrealistic. That's hard enough to learn.
  • Vrabel and Woods are the obvious starters at OLB.
  • Bruschi IS still a starter at ILB, and probably will get most of his reps there.
  • Bringing in a guy who doesn't know the system to be a pure pass rusher is not crazy. But if they liked that idea, would they ever have red-shirted Crable?
  • Bringing in a guy who doesn't know the system to do much more than pass rush is unrealistic.
  • So yes, it's Colvin/Seau/Redd time.
Seau isn't going to be playing OLB. It's not unrealistic for Mayo or Guyton to go outside. OLB isn't as hard to learn as ILB. They are a lot smarter than you give them credit for.

A Steelers cast-off LB might actually be decent. Seems a bit small, but strength is a factor you can't always guess by size. Maybe they'll bump up Redd and sign Woods to the PS?

I know that the rule is if you sign someone off another team's PS you have to put them on your 53; however, given that they cut Woods he'd need to clear waivers before they sign him back onto their PS.

I'm almost positive that if you claim someone off waivers you have to put them on your 53 as well. Correct?

So not sure we could sign Woods directly to our PS, unless of course he clears waivers and the Steelers don't immediately re-sign him to their PS.

I know that the rule is if you sign someone off another team's PS you have to put them on your 53; however, given that they cut Woods he'd need to clear waivers before they sign him back onto their PS.

I'm almost positive that if you claim someone off waivers you have to put them on your 53 as well. Correct?

So not sure we could sign Woods directly to our PS, unless of course he clears waivers and the Steelers don't immediately re-sign him to their PS.

I think you're right, but I don't know if many teams are hurting at LB and am kinda hoping he'd clear waivers. Unless he sucks.

Donavan Woods isn't what the Pats need at this point, he's about 15 lbs too small for a NE LB, and he's a tad short for a NE OLB - if he was an exception to the rule, like the Colts undersized DE Robert Mathis, he'd be on the roster or IR'd to get the hammy ready for 2009.

Pierre Woods playing all 31 defensive snaps after Adalius went out is very encouraging. Buffalo may have cooled off after their fast start to the season, but even after all the injuries they have had, they remain an explosive and decently coached team - Pierre would have been quickly exposed if he couldn't bring enough to the table. After the question on whether Adalius might be able to play in a cast down the stretch, the critical question is whom do the Pats use to back-up Vrabes and Pierre?

Thank God Gary Guyton is progressing so well. His ability to take Tedy's passing down reps at ILB and versatility to play the run, cover, or blitz from any of the 4 LB slots is turning into one of the anchor points of the 2008 defense.

1) Donavan Woods isn't what the Pats need at this point, he's about 15 lbs too small for a NE LB, and he's a tad short for a NE OLB - if he was an exception to the rule, like the Colts undersized DE Robert Mathis, he'd be on the roster or IR'd to get the hammy ready for 2009.

2) Pierre Woods playing all 31 defensive snaps after Adalius went out is very encouraging. Buffalo may have cooled off after their fast start to the season, but even after all the injuries they have had, they remain an explosive and decently coached team - Pierre would have been quickly exposed if he couldn't bring enough to the table. After the question on whether Adalius might be able to play in a cast down the stretch, the critical question is whom do the Pats use to back-up Vrabes and Pierre?

3) Thank God Gary Guyton is progressing so well. His ability to take Tedy's passing down reps at ILB and versatility to play the run, cover, or blitz from any of the 4 LB slots is turning into one of the anchor points of the 2008 defense.

1) I agree. He simply is not a good fit as a NEP LB.

2) I wasn't as encouraged, I'm afraid. I saw Woods miss at least a couple of open-field, edge-detting tackles; and his pass-rush, like Vrabel's, was non-existent. In that department alone without AT, we are in big, big trouble.

3) Amen.

1) I agree. He simply is not a good fit as a NEP LB.

2) I wasn't as encouraged, I'm afraid. I saw Woods miss at least a couple of open-field, edge-detting tackles; and his pass-rush, like Vrabel's, was non-existent. In that department alone without AT, we are in big, big trouble.

3) Amen.

Seems to me I heard the guys on WEEI yesterday talk about the Bills running Marshawn Lynch in Woods' direction after AD went out and it making no difference for them.

Well, no thanks to **** Enberg (who's really deteriorated) & Randy Cross, I didn't even know that AT was injured until I noticed Pierre Woods miss tackles. Then again, I did have a half-dozen pints at the Bear's Den, which showed the Pats game on the big screen because the Eagles & Steelers weren't playing until later in the day.

Needless to say, but I'll be watching #58 very closely on Thursday night. I really hope he proves me wrong.

If Rosy can still play, I'd love to see him back.

it is time.........

for #49........

VINCE REDD!!!!

sure he may miss some reads, so when he's out there, his job is to rush the passer, and he was a force against the run in preseason.......

he will get his first NFL sack before gholston does

Vincent "The Undertaker v.2" Redd

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill