PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reloading mid-season at LB

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about John Lynch as a LB rather than Saftey? He is 6'2" 220#'s. I think Pierre Woods is the OLB in running situations but having Lynch in passing downs allows more flexibility.

If that would be an option, he would probably still be here. The pats system is tough to adjust to anyway, why do we need to complicate things by trying to get a guy who hasn't been with us, to learn a new position mid-season?

Personally I think Redd will be promoted, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Junior or Rosie back. The problem with the last two is that Junior is an ILB, which isn't a problem right now......and Rosie has been on the street for quite a while, it might be injury related.

Jeez, with 7 games to go, our injury quotient is maxed out. Just can't have another loss. Or maybe we can. I can't believe how this team has remade itself so often this season. Thomas is a big loss for the Jets game, though. Even if we eventually can compensate, this is the wrong week and the wrong team -- and a short week to boot.

Overall, though, the improvement on defense is absolutely staggering. I know there was a great deal of "all is well" sentiment here throughout, but the reality is that the defense from the first preseason game through week 6 seemed to have significant exposure in the middle of the field. Then they really turned a corner.

I think if I had to pick a place where things really and genuinely clicked, it would be the third quarter of the Rams game. The team was 4-2 and the difference between 4-3 and 5-2 was huge. It was the lowly Rams, I know, and a home game. Still, in the third quarter, the Rams recovered an onside kick, Cassel turned it over twice near the middle of the field, and the offense failed to convert a 4th and short and turned it over on downs. That's four bad offensive possessions in a tight game all leading to great field position for the Rams. The defense held the line and only gave up 3 points that quarter, giving the offense time to get back on track. If the Patriots make the playoffs, I'll view that as the turning point.

Here is Adam Caplan's list of BA defensive FAs from last week (the list for Week 11 should be out tomorrow):
Scout.com: Best Available Free Agents-Defense-Week 10

Here's another list, courtesy of Draft Daddy:
Draft Daddy: Feature Articles

The logical move, for the short term at least, seems to indicate activating Redd from the PS. Replacing him on the PS with another OLB, e.g. Dan Bazuin, would be ideal. As for Rosie Colvin, the FO needs to learn exactly how far he has progressed in his rehab, if it hasn't done so already. I just don't see another vet being added this late in the season.

Patriots have

The Patriots have an abundance of D lineman at this point...perhaps BB decides to play more 4-3,diminishing exposure at the OLB position. Who they acquire/promote is a mystery to me, but my confidence in my coach to adapt and move on remains unshaken

The rule is usually "Put the best 11 on the field".

If that means subtracting Woods and adding a DL, then so be it.

If it's not, then so be it.

"Best 11" would certainly suggest Jarvis Geen would be on the field before anyone I can see "replacing" AD. 4-3 it is!

And if your best 11 defenders are all defensive backs, should we play 11 play defensive backs and no DL's? Should we play without a QB because our QB might not be one our top 11 offensive players. Nonsense!

Jarvis Green has been one our best 11 defenders for many years. He gets paid that way. But he doesn't start. We often have had nicklebacks who were better than other defenders. They didn't start. We haven't changed to being primarily a 4-3 two gap just because Green may be better than one our linebackers or better than one of defensive backs. We play many defensive schemes and we do change what is available depending on what players are available.

What we so is to put on the field is the best COMBINATION throughout the game (not just the starting 11) in the context of the defensive scheming for a particular game. The best base defense we have is a 3-4 two-gap that depends on Wilfork in the middle and on Seymour and Warren at the ends. Green and Wright get plenty of playing time.

That doesn't work, we can't just move an DL or ILB to OLB by Thursday. Fine, add a DL and subtract a LB - WHO will be the other OLB with Vrabel ?

IMO Colvin getting released by the Texans is a sure sign that he is ready to be a pro-bowler as a Patriot.

IIRC, Colvin was cut because Houston was trying to get him to play with this hand down as a pass-rushing 4-3 DE. Given he was coming off the foot injury, I highly doubt he'd have the quick burst to be successful in that role (hence, the cut).

As a situational 3-4 LB, he might be healthy enough to come off the bench and rush the passer for NE. I personally always liked the guy, he brought a real fire and emotion to the defense. Would hope they at least bring him in for a physical (assuming he'd swallow his pride and come back for a reduced price/role).

IIRC, Colvin was cut because Houston was trying to get him to play with this hand down as a pass-rushing 4-3 DE. Given he was coming off the foot injury, I highly doubt he'd have the quick burst to be successful in that role (hence, the cut).

As a situational 3-4 LB, he might be healthy enough to come off the bench and rush the passer for NE. I personally always liked the guy, he brought a real fire and emotion to the defense. Would hope they at least bring him in for a physical (assuming he'd swallow his pride and come back for a reduced price/role).

I think you nailed the big reason. It's hard to go back to a team where you made big bucks and play for a big pay cut. I like Colvin.

Does anyone think that Vince Redd might get some playing time? I forgot that he was on the practice squad. I don't know how he has progressed, but if he's anything like BJGE, why not give him some spot duty? Just a thought.

Prior to knowing about Thomas this AM, had wondered what happened to Colvin.. not sure he is the answer, we let him go and did not even make the Texan's roster... suspect that his injuries have caught up with him.. not sure the alternative, but as always this team adapts..
He was the last player the Texans cut. Is it possible he saw the way the Texans run their team and said, "F-this, I'm out of here?" Not saying he would say that literally, but he might have found the environment less than motivating after spending the previous 5 years with the best organization in football.

Does anyone think that Vince Redd might get some playing time? I forgot that he was on the practice squad. I don't know how he has progressed, but if he's anything like BJGE, why not give him some spot duty? Just a thought.

I think that is the play, everything that happens this season is gravy. The MO so far has been to play the younger players. Why not see what Redd can do?

Very quickly the Patriots have become a lot younger on defense.

On the free agent side, another longshot is Jason Babin.

Last edited:

Not really true, given all the sub packages in which JAG DBs are on the field while stud DL are not.

I think you nailed the big reason. It's hard to go back to a team where you made big bucks and play for a big pay cut. I like Colvin.

Probably easier for a LB than any other position on the Pats, given that they all played next to Junior Seau, and for that matter Tedi Bruschi.

Re: Patriots have

The Patriots have an abundance of D lineman at this point...perhaps BB decides to play more 4-3,diminishing exposure at the OLB position. Who they acquire/promote is a mystery to me, but my confidence in my coach to adapt and move on remains unshaken
I'm hoping for the 4-3 to be employed. Gives us a great chance at enforcing some pass rush I would think.

Our Lines are getting better every week and through necessity, the D needs some tweaking.

I believe we should make the most of what we have already and simply massage it to our strengths.

Woods will get the start, but if he sucks it up Hobson or Covlin will be called in the next day.

Vince Redd has some nice measurables at 6'5-6'6 and 260 or so.

the question will be his technique on contain and setting the edge and playing screens, etc.

I think that is the play, everything that happens this season is gravy. The MO so far has been to play the younger players. Why not see what Redd can do?

Very quickly the Patriots have become a lot younger on defense.

I Agree. The rookies that BB has thrown into the mix have been making him look really good - and for good reason (he IS really good.) Until they let him down, BB should keep putting his faith in these guys and groom the team of the future, instead of signing stopgaps in a season that ultimately doesn't look like our best chance to win a championship.

In short, we will be getting a better team for the following seasons and any success this year is a bonus.

Nonetheless, it is a hard thing to say while we're first in the division.

Vince Redd has some nice measurables at 6'5-6'6 and 260 or so.

the question will be his technique on contain and setting the edge and playing screens, etc.
I thought he looked okay setting the edge in preseason, where he struggled was dropping into coverage and pass rushing. I love the fact he's been reported to have won three black jerseys this season, you have to love when a kid on the Practice Squad works that hard while on the scout team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back