Welcome to PatsFans.com

Religous Nuts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +143 / 2 / -1

Speaking of those so-called "double standards" you're so fond of whining about, if anybody here who isn't a staunch rightie used that term, they'd be labeled a hater / basher or Christianity -- by people including you.

People usually use the term "Bible Thumpers" because the bible thumpers are trying to impose their beliefs on others. Are any of the Afghani Muslims trying to impose their values on us?

when an afghani or any other Muslim is in the US, trying to impose laws on everybody else based on the koran, I'll gladly label them "Koran thumpers."

for now, though, it's Christians who keep doing that, so they're the politicians and other people, and those are the laws, that I'll worry about.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Thought this thread was about Graham, Santorum and the rest of the right wing nut jobs.. all of whom religion is better than Obama's religion..

Should have known it was the daily Harry Trash a Muslim thread...

Our military have been committing a few faux pas lately on their ground..
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Christians get trashed far more than Muslims on this forum just thought I'd even it out a little.

There's a lot wrong with ALL organized religions and that also includes Islam, they all leave something to be desired.

I don't intend to Trash Muslims but I do intend to Trash The Double Standard that exists in many things today.
  5. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Maybe it is ok for Christians to use a word or term like "Jesusville" but if you are not Christian then you can not use it.

No, that would be silly having a word or words that some can use and some can not.
  6. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +143 / 2 / -1

Nothing silly about it. A couple problems with it as an analogy:

1) the right isn't synonymous with Christians -- your example would be akin to lefties claiming it's ok for Dems to use the term n***** but not Republicans

2) Unlike some folks here when it comes to the term n***** -- and pretty much no other term I'm aware of -- I'm not upset that I can't use the term "bible thumper" (actually, I do use it, so...) and wouldn't be upset re "Jesusville," and I wouldn't be upset if Christians referred to themselves as "bible thumpers" or referred to "Jesusville."
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I remember growing up my mom would say here come the jumping Jehovahs. They were generally well dressed people walking around with bags promoting the jehovah religion I guess.

Well anyways ... us kids always wondered why she called them 'jumping' :confused3:. All the moms called them 'jumping jehovahs' ... we had no cable TV then so us younger people knew little of the celebrations some churches had ... we never saw them jumping ... only walking well dressed in the hot sun. We would politely try to avoid them if possible ... they were very white walking in a racially diverse neighborhood ... it sure seemed odd to us but then again anything outside of the local neighborhood seemed odd in the 60's.

When someone says religious nuts I think back to that ... and I still don't see them jumping either.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  8. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

wanting to impose your will on someone is one of the main reasons the world generally hates the US in the first place.

they left england, and never really left what england was all about

imposing wills
  9. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I was basically joking. But, for number one: I am pretty sure that Harry has said a few times that he is Christian. Doesn't go to church, but is Christian. Where did I say anything about the right all being Christians? And, how would that make it ok for dems to use the N word? Is it because dems are all black and republicans are all white? Or, is it because dems are all non-raciest and republicans are all raciest?

As for number two: The N word is not the only word. What about the F word? A gay man can call another gay man the F word and it is ok. But, as for the N word, it is not against the law to use that word for anyone. I personally do not use it because of the history of hate that is associated with it. It leaves a bad taste in my mind and mouth.

I really wonder... what would the many black men and women who had to face that word with full force of hate and the reduction of humanity that it represented... I wonder what they would think of it being kept alive by the black community in songs and movies and so forth. And, we are not talking about remembering history by the use of that word. It has become slang when it really should have died. It is an ugly word that should die, it should not be a part of our pop culture. Just like nazi, another ugly word that needs to only stay alive in history books.
  10. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

the way i see it is, blacks use the n word, gays use the f word, as a way of taking it back

so it's different
  11. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Did African's refer to themselves as the N word before becoming slaves? I am pretty sure that the N word is a bastardization of the Spanish word for black. So, if they did not use the word to describe themselves before then there was nothing to take back.

Basically, it sounds like you are saying that they accept that word as a label to describe themselves and want to keep it alive. Now, that might make sense if they were changing the use of the word to portray black people in a positive light, but that is not how it is being used.
  12. jcdavey

jcdavey Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

taking the power back then, i guess
  13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Just because you believe this, does not mean it is true...

The biggest double standard that is obvious in this time, are the theocrats running for president who say their god is better than your god.. then question your belief system.
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +143 / 2 / -1

OT:
    I thought you were saying part joking, part making a point.

You didn't say they are. I was just comparing the two cases.

No -- my original point to harry was that anybody here who isn't on the right but referred to "Jesusville" or "bible thumpers" would be branded anti-Christian by some of the posters here who are on the right. On this site, that's the divide when it comes to so-called bigotry toward Christians (and I would say that mirrors the behavior of some politicians and religious leaders as well).

so if use of those terms is OK for folks on the right, but not for folks on the left or moderates, the analogy would be dems using the slur n*****

(In short, I was continuing from my original point to harry)

true -- but the few people who post here regularly about how unfair it is that they can't use a slur that others can don't seem upset about their so-called double standard regarding the term f*****

there are other terms / slurs as well that are OK for some people and not others, which is the point I've usually made but is either disregarded out of convenience or somehow not understood by the folks who whine about the n-word so regularly here.

I think there are multiple reasons various blacks use the term. Many black people don't like its use even by other blacks, though, and understandably so.

What I really wonder is why any white person gets upset about blacks being able to use it when whites cannot. Not saying that's the case for you, but it's clearly the case for a few folks here.
  15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Jessie Jackoff Jr and that little pansy Santorum have both said that "Satan has come to America" and that he has, he has settled into The Entertainment World, Satan himself is keeping The N Word and The F Word alive.

Certain White people don't like hearing Blacks use the N word not because they cannot use it but because it is a filthy degrading word and they don't want to hear ANYBODY using it, they would like to see it die, I find it very hard to understand why any decent human being would insert that word into such an enjoyable thing as Music, inserting the N Word into the lyrics of Music that young people listen to is F-cking Sick.
  16. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +143 / 2 / -1

"Certain White people" are also full of sh*t.
  17. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Some people, when they first wake up in the morning- I mean the very first moment of waking- have the usual thought or thoughts. Often, it is the same thought every day.

For instance:

"Oh! My head is killing me! Why do I get drunk every night?"
    "Just once I wish that baby would sleep in!"
    "Coffeeeeeeeeee"
    "Holy crap! My wife is so freaking HOT! (or not)
    "Oh no! Not another one!"
    "Please, Gizelle! Not again, I'm trying to get some rest! Are you even human?"

But with other people it's:

"Black's and Muslims"
    "Gays can't/should get married!"
    "Anthropogenic global warming..."
    "Righties/lefties are ruining America!"
    "Mainstream Media has to be stopped!"
    "September 11th!"
    "Animal rights!"
  19. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

It's not an American condition. It's a human condition.

Imposing your will on someone is the main reason why ANYONE is hated - - including evangelical Christians, ultra-orthodox Jews and radical Muslims.

Once humanity grows up and ditches blind adherence to superstitious dogma of all brands, only then can humanity graduate out of the endless cycle.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  20. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +143 / 2 / -1

You tell us.

Explain what "racist" means, apply it to the facts here, and present your conclusion.

(Extra credit points if you also present any arguments against your conclusion and why you ultimately decided against those.)