Welcome to PatsFans.com

Religion is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by wistahpatsfan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Cold, hard facts...hard to refute.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/as...ede_kills_68_at_remote_hindu_temple_in_india/

NEW DELHIā€”Pilgrims stampeded at a mountaintop Hindu temple in northern India on Sunday, and 68 people -- all of them women and children -- were killed in the crush that sent worshippers plummeting to their deaths over a broken railing.

The devotees were attending a nine-day religious festival in the foothills of the Himalayas at the Naina Devi Temple, said district deputy police chief C.P. Verma.

A railing on the mountain path collapsed during the crush, sending dozens of people over the edge, police said. Television channels showed blurred pictures of the lifeless bodies of several small children, apparently lying at the bottom of the path.
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 3 / -10

This happens every year at this festival. You would think they would have learned by now. There is no excuse what so ever for this tragedy to happen. Some would say, "you don't understand...you would need to know the culture to undustand how this happens"

NO, I DON'T NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE CULTURE!

It is stupid no matter what the culture and the history. Ignorance is a terrible thing. It's not the religion, it's the people.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

----Amen----
  4. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Maybe I am waiting in the wings to agree with you, cause I agree here too. It's like the running of the bulls/bull fighting to me. Sorry, don't need to understand the culture around that. It's just dumb!
  5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Good point. I should have titled the thread, "Religious People are Dangerous".
    :violent:
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Tell that to the current HOF group who all to a man gave the credit to God yesterday. While you're at it tell it to that dangerous church going Obama guy and his family.
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Yeah....nothing pisses me off more than a pro athlete thanking God for his success in a game. What? Was God making sure the guards weren't blocking well so Dean could get around for the sack? What an idiot!

Lighten up...I was obviously making fun of those idiots in India. My favorite people in the world are religious and very bright.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  9. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

anything is dangerous when used for the wrong purpose. look at government and politics.

even sports- with parents fighting, fans attacking each other for wearing an opposing jersey
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

And what, exactly, is the right purpose for religion?
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +309 / 4 / -2

10 charactors.
  12. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

to prepare yourself for after death. now there are many different intepretations of that good and wrongly interpreted.
  13. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

A girl in a small town near Conroe, Texas and her father try to get her high school to ban the sci-fi classic "Fahrenheit 451" for containing "offensive material".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUq2d2OFRkk

There's a group of religious nuts there that have tried to get books removed and moved from the public library for years.
  14. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

ya censorship is bad. it doesn't promote free thinking. only produces robots
  15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

it like Ive always said, Soccer, supermarkets, women, and food coupons are dangerous ;)
  16. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Evangelist Arrested; Wife's Body Frozen
    No One Heard From Arletha Hopkins For Three Years

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/17038534/detail.html

Jury deliberating in preacher's murder trial
    http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_10072855

Convicted pedophile priest Tony Rodrigue admits to 5 victims a year in 20 years yet diocese claims to not know his name
    http://www.opednews.com/articles/Convicted-pedophile-priest-by-Kay-Ebeling-080704-600.html

Catholic Pedophile Priests:
    The Effect on US Society
    http://www.priestsofdarkness.com/stats.html

Err, the list is so long.....
  17. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

what is this, lets compare what kind of people are nuttier? there are nuts from every group, its not the groups fault, or the inspiration behind the group, in case you missed RW's point.

Did you want to ban Rock 'n Roll after the stampede at the Who Concert?

I dont think it can be found in the Bible anywhere where Jesus told anyone to molest children or put their wife in a freezer, but if you can find it for me then maybe there could be a connection between religion and that kind of insanity.

btw, do you think any non-religious people have commited crimes? Do you think theres a chance a few kids have been molested by non-believers? Are all the surreal killers out there evangelicals,listening to Petra before starting the chainsaw, or could there be a few non-church going nuts out there?
    just asking....
  18. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 1 / -9

Muslim father beheads his daughter for looking at a Dirty American Infedel.

Presbytarian smashes his dogs head in with a large rock because the dog urinated on the mans leg.

Methodist women shoots her husband in the groin because she caught him masturbating in a bedroom closet.

Catholic man cuts his wife's tongue off because she called him an a$s hole.

Baptist runs his SUV over his sisters head four times because he caught her masturbating in his garage.

Our Father Who Art In Heaven
    Lets All Go Down To The River
    There's A Man Walking On The Water.
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

Sorry, posted in Wistah's standalone Fahrenheit 451 thread... that is HYSTERICAL!

As I said there... one of us has to memorize the book while there's time...

As to Hitchens' and Wistah's argument, and the reply here, there are a tremendous number of reasons for religion, some of which give rise to violence.

We have experimented with making it go away, but it will not.

I think about the 20th century, when the Soviets and Chinese thought they'd done away with the societal ill of religion. Maybe they did.

But they came up with pre-set ideologies used to interpret the world instead of recourse to fact, and they campaigned to stomp out fact that was inconvenient.

This appears to be an outgrowth of the need for an elite to control. In the middle ages, and in the modern world in certain spheres, that elite is a religious elite. In 20th century communist societies, the elite was the party. In many spheres of modern life in the West, the ideology follows a hodgepodge of shifting political myths. Some are malleable. For example, right now you're supposed to blame brown people for most bad things, with black people somewhat excused for the time being. Or at least more so than 10 years ago. Other myths are less malleable. For example, the myth of an American meritocracy, which is believed not only by those who succeed within its fantasy logic, but also by those who are punished. This myth is especially pertinent to explain why bad things happen to people; they must deserve it somehow, after all. Previously, they must have sinned. Now they must be lazy, or inherently stupid or violent, based on their countries of origin, races, or, most self-contained, based on their poverty.

At any rate: similar uses of religion also abound. To "prepare you for what's after death" is only a subset of those human questions we yearn to answer by turning to religion.

In this searching, religion can provide a wonderful vocabulary, a way to get to something beneath/beyond the platitudes of the organized facades. For the seeker or the mystic, religion can provide a path to deeper realities than the eat-and-excrete variety we spend most of our time considering.

So it is terrible and pernicious that these legitimate searches, born from primal questions that cannot be answered, can be channeled and controlled by elites. The violence, insanity, and corruption associated with the world's religions is indeed horrible.

The horrible results tend to repeat in one or another form in the absence of religion, however, leaving the thesis somewhat in doubt.

It strikes me as likely that ideologies give power to elites to encourage people to follow drives that are as inherent as the questions that gave the ideologies their power in the first place.

I wonder what my meaning is? Your meaning is X. You will build paradise on earth/you will achieve paradise after death/etc. All you need to do is serve God/The Party/Der Fuehrer/etc. And from there, you are in hock to "God"/The Party/Der Fuehrer/etc. until you measure up. PSYCH! You never measure up. That's the trick. Are we better off in the West because we've substituted the nation-state and patriotism? Perhaps slightly better. Somehow we seem eminently capable of killing for ideas of country or even economic supremacy.

A primative breakdown of the mechanism, to be sure, but I think the root problem here has nothing to do with whether one uses a secular or religious vocabulary. It has to do with whether one is secure in oneself, and whether one accepts or rejects the call of the elites who would have us kill or die unnecessarily.

PFnV
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I like that!
    As you know, that's the point of living, isn't it? Everything else is merely dancing to someone else's tune. I've been ruined since an English teacher introduced me to the Trancendentalists, Shakespeare and Orwell...I think I took it to heart too deeply.

Love the reference to Farenheit 451. One of my favorite books. I hear someone's beginning work on a re-make of the 1966 film. I pick Russel Crow to play Guy.