Welcome to PatsFans.com

Relief Wells and Reality

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, May 31, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Good article on the history of relief well and how to deal with the current situation. 3 months may be very optimistic.

There is a very goo common sense way to ensure this doesn't happen again. One used by the Canadians for Artic drilling that was opposed by the oil companies due to cost, but IMO it should be a requirement.

Natural Born Conservative: Relief Wells and Reality | An Ounce of Prevention

2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

A properly functioning blowout preventer would be more economical. LA's already lost a great portion of its fishing industry over this, making drilling too expensive might be the end economically, since that industry brings in money too. Even today I'm for offshore drilling, if and when we can get a better handle on things.

3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

With the equipment there why not drill the relief wells right then and there? This doesn't preclude having the blowout preventer.

I am in favor of offshore and on shore drilling, but it has to be done in a way that is safe and sensible, following best engineering practices.

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I doubt drilling one extra well would double the cost, but two? That imposition won't lead to higher prices to offset the costs, it'll lead to less drilling in the LA area and less drilling anywhere that rule is enforced. Which means more money for OPEC and I don't want that.

5. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

What is the cost of drilling an extra well versus the cost of the current disaster?

Given the apparent problems of fixing a deepsea well, I would think it's now apparent that a belt-and-suspenders approach may make sense, despite the extra cost. If that causes less drilling offshore the US, that means we've cut our subsidies to offshore drilling.

6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Good point, so drill the relief well to have in place and make sure the blowout preventer is in place.

The article about ignoring the warning signs they wee seeing are the most disturbing of what I've read so far.

7. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +609 / 7 / -7

Relief well requirement sounds like a good one, in addition to the BOP. And the regs on testing throughout the system can't be left to the industry to test themselves. This idea of self-regulation just has no teeth - there is no incentive to flunk yourself.

And that's got to be retroactive - every other rig offshore is suspect, if you ask me. However we look at it - we don't like the oil companies, we don't like MMS, we don't like either - there's no explanations that make me think "oh but the other few dozen wells out there are perfectly safe."

Spot on, regarding the "3 months." BP has lied (or just been wrong) about every timeline they've offered, and they've established a pattern of mendacity and concern for appearance over substance, managing to foul up both. At this point it would seem like an "out of the blue" gift from the universe if one of these timelines turned out to be real.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,144 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

I really hope the oil people are reading this thread. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: