PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Relevant videotaping official rules and memo snippets

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Since this seems to be a topic that many fans and members of the media are even unclear on. Keep in mind these are only from the 2007 season. I have yet to find an accurate history of when each rule came into being or had its wording changed. Relevant portions are in bold:

NFL Policy Manual for Member Clubs, Volume II: NFL Game Operations Manual, General, Pages A105-A106:

V. Miscellaneous Rules and Regulations

A. No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.

B. If clubs believe that violations of any of the Origination, Editing, Exchange, or Shipping rules have occurred, such violations should be brought to the attention of the Vice President of Officiating. Also, please inform the Video Directors Committee of any known violations. The Competition Committee will also urge that the Commissioner take appropriate disciplinary action in cases of substantiated violations.

C. Teams will be required to supply a yearly allotment of tapes to the Dub Center at NFL Films. Quantity required per club will be given to each team by May prior to the upcoming season. Tape stock will consist of brand-new 62-minute Beta SX tapes. For the 2007 season, 4,400 NEW tapes will be required.

D. To ensure the protection of equipment and employees of the team's video departments, please follow the guidelines listed for the video shooting locations at your stadium:

-All video shooting locations must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.

-Any doors entering the shooting locations within the public seating areas of the stadium are required to be lockable from both the inside and the outside of the location to prevent unwarranted access.

-All locations must have climate control (heat and/or fans). Any heaters and/or fans must be completely operational and produce the effect that is required. Heaters that do not produce any heat should be replaced.

-All locations must supply adequate power for each team (at least two outlets per team).

-All locations must be installed with the required video printer lines from both the sideline and the end zone shooting locations to the coaches' booth and field. It is not required that wiring be installed for the opposite end zone position, but if the opposite end zone is wired for the home team, it must also be wired for the visiting team. Home teams must provide visiting teams with the same situational set up for printers that they have themselves (i.e. cover, placement behind the bench, etc.)

-It is suggested that each location provide either countertop space or tables for both teams in the booth and a table on the field and coaches' booth.

Please ascertain that your club is in compliance with these guidelines.

NFL Constitution and Bylaws:

"Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game."

September 2006 memorandum by NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson:

"videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

I'll sticky it later, but not yet since stickied threads are often overlooked, ironically.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
You don't get it . You mean you never heard of the magical mutual consent rule written in invisible ink that supercedes all rules and memos and allows the Jets to tape the Pats without penalty even when there isn't mutual consent.
There is a variation of this magical rule that applies when the Titans and Colts agreed to fix a game later in the year.

This absolutely must be stickied.

I propose a short list of yes/no questions and a choice of essay that we can pose to the "Pats are cheaters!" crowd:

According to NFL rules and bylaws, stealing signals is illegal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping is illegal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping signals for use in future games is illegal: yes or no?

According to common sense, it's possible to view tape, decipher it, and put it to use using video equipment that isn't allowed in a locker room anyway...all in twelve minutes: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping signals from a space that is enclosed on three sides is legal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping signals from the sidelines or any other areas accessible to staff members is illegal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, taping from an area that is not enclosed and is accessible to staff employees is legal if consent is given: yes or no?

According to Greg Aiello, taping from an area that is not enclosed and is accessible to Jets staff employees is legal if consent is given: yes or no?

Essay Choice #1: Why were the Pats hammered?

Essay Choice #2: Why weren't the Jets disciplined in the same fashion?

I propose a short list of yes/no questions and a choice of essay that we can pose to the "Pats are cheaters!" crowd:

According to NFL rules and bylaws, stealing signals is illegal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping is illegal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping signals for use in future games is illegal: yes or no?

According to common sense, it's possible to view tape, decipher it, and put it to use using video equipment that isn't allowed in a locker room anyway...all in twelve minutes: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping signals from a space that is enclosed on three sides is legal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, videotaping signals from the sidelines or any other areas accessible to staff members is illegal: yes or no?

According to NFL rules and bylaws, taping from an area that is not enclosed and is accessible to staff employees is legal if consent is given: yes or no?

According to Greg Aiello, taping from an area that is not enclosed and is accessible to Jets staff employees is legal if consent is given: yes or no?

Essay Choice #1: Why were the Pats hammered?

Essay Choice #2: Why weren't the Jets disciplined in the same fashion?

You are on the right track with this. I suggest we provide our own informative accurate and honest answers to these questions (perhaps leaving out the essay questions because they're speculative in nature). Then we should list relevant quotes from Goodell and BB. All should be preceded by the rules as already noted. Packaged together we have a logical summary of "spygate" for rational minds. Anytime someone launches into the "Pats are cheaters" bullshyte, we can present that to them and walk away. It will represent the definitive response.

How about it, Pats1?

There's an effort a lot like that underway... fgssand is now the best lead contact for it. Ask him about FRAMe -- I think Pats1 has seen it too. It's still embryonic, but the details of the rules are a big part of it (the Jets caper in particular is mentioned prominently)

so can anyone explain to me then why an investigation wasn't done for the Jets, with this cameraman?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic..._of_cameraman_focusing_on_Jets_sideline/26870
He is clearly breaking that rule....

also, in another game the Jets lied and said they had the Pats permission to tape, but didn't, and taped anyways.

How can this be ignored by the NFL? i don't get it.

From what I gathered from Reiss, that cameraman was most likely working in a Brian Lowe/in-house production type of role. A poster on a Jets messageboard seemed to confirm that too, IIRC.

You don't get it . You mean you never heard of the magical mutual consent rule written in invisible ink that supercedes all rules and memos and allows the Jets to tape the Pats without penalty even when there isn't mutual consent.

Sweetness.

From what I gathered from Reiss, that cameraman was most likely working in a Brian Lowe/in-house production type of role. A poster on a Jets messageboard seemed to confirm that too, IIRC.
Pats1, any links to either of these that you had stored? I'd love to see the Jets or fans acknowledge that the dude in the pic was a Jets employee...in-house production seems like a non-issue given the letter of the law as you posted above, as I read it?

Pats1, any links to either of these that you had stored? I'd love to see the Jets or fans acknowledge that the dude in the pic was a Jets employee...in-house production seems like a non-issue given the letter of the law as you posted above, as I read it?

I'm not sure. Obviously cameras like NFL Films, TV stations, etc. are allowed. The Pats have never had a problem taping for then Patriots Video News, or now Patriots Today. Brian Lowe once got nailed by Rodney on the sideline in 2003 while taping the game.

The Jets employee post:

http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2076299

Here's what Mike Reiss said to me (remember that Mike used to work for Patriots Football Weekly and knows Brian Lowe well):

Of this picture (the more famous ones of the videographer in the dark green shirt): http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/kurtinelson/MysteryJetvideoguy.jpg?t=1189729796

Mike: "he could be from the in-house jets tv crew, which would be different."

Of this picture: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...hment.php?attachmentid=863&stc=1&d=1189866461

Mike: "same thing. the pats use that too with their in-house crew."

Here's that megathread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=60830

This was back on September 15.

Last edited:
There's an effort a lot like that underway... fgssand is now the best lead contact for it. Ask him about FRAMe -- I think Pats1 has seen it too. It's still embryonic, but the details of the rules are a big part of it (the Jets caper in particular is mentioned prominently)

I have the document available to send to anybody that PM's me with email.

We can make this part of any larger effort undertaken by any body.

I think it fits with the spirit of this thread.

Pats1 has seen it I do believe?

Does anybody have a link to the NFL press release from September that states the punishment was for recording of offensive and defensive signals? It was referenced in an article a couple days ago, but I couldn't find it on the NFL's site.

Am I reading right that after 35 pages with no real answers, one guy posted that he saw the dude in a black nfl films vest and the whole issue died? (not literally died, but that seems like the end of the patsfans investigation?)

There were a few references like MiDeuce and DaBruinz who supposedly had media people who were going to get back to them...did those things ever get brought up in a different thread or something? Sorry to sound foolish, I came late to the game here so I missed much of the frenzy that surrounded the initial debacle, so I feel like I'm playing catchup to an extent, but reading through that 35 page novella, I still didn't see anyone who could identify that guy, and 1 post where he was said to be wearing an nfl films vest in one game (not the other 2 cited) and that was the end. Did I miss other threads about it? What's an "in house crew" and how does that differ from advance scouting (production value? presumptive use?) Curious, not being a **** here (or not trying to ;) )
I'm not sure. Obviously cameras like NFL Films, TV stations, etc. are allowed. The Pats have never had a problem taping for then Patriots Video News, or now Patriots Today. Brian Lowe once got nailed by Rodney on the sideline in 2003 while taping the game.

The Jets employee post:

http://www.jetsinsider.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2076299

Here's what Mike Reiss said to me (remember that Mike used to work for Patriots Football Weekly and knows Brian Lowe well):

Of this picture (the more famous ones of the videographer in the dark green shirt): http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/kurtinelson/MysteryJetvideoguy.jpg?t=1189729796

Mike: "he could be from the in-house jets tv crew, which would be different."

Of this picture: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...hment.php?attachmentid=863&stc=1&d=1189866461

Mike: "same thing. the pats use that too with their in-house crew."

Here's that megathread: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=60830

This was back on September 15.

Am I reading right that after 35 pages with no real answers, one guy posted that he saw the dude in a black nfl films vest and the whole issue died? (not literally died, but that seems like the end of the patsfans investigation?)

There were a few references like MiDeuce and DaBruinz who supposedly had media people who were going to get back to them...did those things ever get brought up in a different thread or something? Sorry to sound foolish, I came late to the game here so I missed much of the frenzy that surrounded the initial debacle, so I feel like I'm playing catchup to an extent, but reading through that 35 page novella, I still didn't see anyone who could identify that guy, and 1 post where he was said to be wearing an nfl films vest in one game (not the other 2 cited) and that was the end. Did I miss other threads about it? What's an "in house crew" and how does that differ from advance scouting (production value? presumptive use?) Curious, not being a **** here (or not trying to ;) )

The in-house production would be done by non-football operations people.

I have the document available to send to anybody that PM's me with email.

We can make this part of any larger effort undertaken by any body.

I think it fits with the spirit of this thread.

Pats1 has seen it I do believe?

Yes, I have.

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times already, but is the offense for which our team was charged - videotaping signals - even a rule in any rulebook or is the only mention of whether it is or isn't allowable that one memo sent in early 2006? And if that is the case then what was the precedent or justification for such an over the top, severe punishment? This situation makes less and less practicle sense every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else notice how Anderson's memo essentially prohibits regular game taping that all teams do? That tape, as described in the rules, is accessible to the team via video printers. It's a real odd memo, if you ask me.

so can anyone explain to me then why an investigation wasn't done for the Jets, with this cameraman?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic..._of_cameraman_focusing_on_Jets_sideline/26870
He is clearly breaking that rule....

also, in another game the Jets lied and said they had the Pats permission to tape, but didn't, and taped anyways.

How can this be ignored by the NFL? i don't get it.

Jets suck. No one hates the team they beat easily. :D
(I probably agree with you, but logic need not apply to Goodell. No, I don't think he is malicious, I think he is incompetent, Peter principle example.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back