Welcome to PatsFans.com

Releasing vets with a guaranteed salary

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Fencer, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +409 / 6 / -20

#12 Jersey

I would have thought:

1. Galloway had a guaranteed salary on the Pats
    2. If they waived him and some other team picked him up, they'd be responsible for paying the balance of his salary.
    3. If he was cut and could choose where he signed, the Pats would have to pay his salary for the whole year.

I'm guessing at least one of those is wrong, however, perhaps #3 in that (here comes my guess) it was an agreed-upon cut.

Does anybody have insight into all this, and confidence in that insight? ;)

Similarly questions could be asked about other vets, of course.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Galloway's salary is not "guaranteed" explicitly in his contract like others' are. It's only "guaranteed" because he can collect termination pay in the amount of the remaining balance. The team he signed with (the Bucs) will still have to pay him whatever salary they signed him at. I am not sure if Galloway is eligible now, that he has already re-signed, to collect termination pay in the amount of his remaining salary balance with the Pats.

EDIT: Here's the relevant CBA section. I think I was wrong with my last point; it appears that Galloway can collect termination pay (as long as he hasn't done it before in his career):

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

They may have felt that his remaining salary would impact who made a waiver claim and the likely didn't want him to land back in the AFC. May have even worked this out for him, and for all we know he feels he's toast and preferred to close it out somewhere familiar. Probably has a home there still and certainly has friends.

4. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Eric Alexander and TBC will be back with extensions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.