PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Release the Hounds: BB on a FA rampage!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run DMC

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Maybe the Pats are realizing the clock is ticking for TB12 and it's time to go for it. I can't remember a FA orgy like this ever. The O is beyond ridiculously stacked now, hopefully we draft 5 DB's in the draft! This is going to be a fun season.
bill belichick - go for it.jpg

Maybe the Pats are realizing the clock is ticking for TB12 and it's time to go for it. I can't remember a FA orgy like this ever. The O is beyond ridiculously stacked now, hopefully we draft 5 DB's in the draft! This is going to be a fun season.
View attachment 4224

This is my one fear in all this:

TB: Coach, I've decided to retire at the end of the season

BB: Oh hell. Better go all in on offense then

Not saying that is the case, just have this nagging worry at the back of my mind.

I suspect that McDaniels is behind some of what has happened so far.

This is my one fear in all this:

Not saying that is the case, just have this nagging worry at the back of my mind.

Barring an undisclosed injury or health issue, I think you can rest comfortably that Brady is planning to play out his current contract (three more seasons, putting him at 37 for the third year, the average retirement age for an SB era HOF QB). After that, I'm not so sure and neither is anyone else.

I think people are getting caught up in the numbers. A lot of these players are low enders or risk/flyer types.

View attachment 4224

Must of us have never heard of most of these guys or at least haven't heard from them in years. I definitely wouldn't consider what they're doing as "going all in."

Patriots signed CB Marquice Cole, formerly of the Jets.His first name is pronounced mar-KWEECE, Cole is a special teams gunner. According to the New York Daily News, the 28-year-old had also earned a reputation as the biggest prankster on the Jets roster. Mar 19 - 4:48 PM
:rocker:

Marquice Cole - New England Patriots - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

anyone know how much guaranteed money has been handed out since FA has started?

I think people are getting caught up in the numbers. A lot of these players are low enders or risk/flyer types.

Exactly. But by the same token the ones that aren't flyers are an impressive first step too.

But they're filling in some key needs. I don't think I'd expect Lloyd to end up with more than 7 or 800 yards for instance, but we finally have that guy who can legitimately burn down the field. Gallery paired with Dante is extremely intriguing and if Waters and Light stay this might be the best offensive line we've had since Brady has been here.

But they're filling in some key needs. I don't think I'd expect Lloyd to end up with more than 7 or 800 yards for instance, but we finally have that guy who can legitimately burn down the field. Gallery paired with Dante is extremely intriguing and if Waters and Light stay this might be the best offensive line we've had since Brady has been here.

I'm not complaining about what's been done, or belittling it. What they're doing is smart stuff, as long as they're giving out veteran minimum contracts to a fair share of the low end guys. Between the 'bonus' kickback for veteran minimum deals, and the lack of lower round picks this year, it's a very good way to stock the OTA/training camp rosters.

On the other hand, the team's added one starter on offense (Lloyd) and a bunch of "Starter? Maybe, but...." players on defense. There will still be plenty of moves to come, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Overall, the moves have solidified some positions on the team. However, the defense still needs to improve with a playmaker.

We haven't loaded up on talent during FA, we've just signed a lot of bodies. Lloyd is the only starter I see so far, the rest are for competition or marginal improvements in areas that will still potentially be further addressed.

Don't get caught up in the quantity of signings when most are simple depth signings (which isn't bad, we we heavily tested in the depth department last season).

Stoked about the offense.
Now draft some impact D players and get a couple aging / something still left to prove veteran D players to help coach them along.

I saw a quote yesterday pointing out that some of the guys brought in could ascend to be borderline "starters" yet by the same token may not even be on the opening day roster. The Pats are collecting talented guys, some with question marks at an opportune time, and ultimately training camp and/or injuries will separate the wheat from the chaff. It is a unique situation with so many FA's available and BB, ever the opportunist, is taking full advantage.

This is BB bringing in competition. I doubt all of the new signings will make the roster.

I think the fact that there was basically no off-season last year factored into the lack of depth (along with the yearly injury saga). BB will have all spring and summer to evaluate these guys now which should make for great competition in camp.

I hope i'm wrong, but i got a feeling all those wide receiver signings were made i because they anticipate a wes welker holdout.

Last edited:
Lloyd, Fanene, Fells, and Gallery all seem like significant contributors to me. The rest seem like back-of-the-roster types, with the possible exception of Gregory, who might end up playing a lot on defense just by default.

It doesn't seem to me like they've gone crazy at all. None of these moves comes with a major financial commitment. But they bought a lot of upside. I'd like to see one more big sign on defense -- maybe Castillo?

I hope i'm wrong, but i got a feeling all those wide receiver signings were made i because they anticipate a wes welker holdout.
They'll get Wes done. This builds competition and puts more an onus on Wes I would think. He's still the best slot in the league, but we can work the middle with tight ends if need be and we have a couple receivers who should eb able to play the outside.

It will be best with Wes, but the games will still be played. Not everyone signed will be on the 53 man roster, but BB will put together what he thinks gives them the best chance to win and some people who have been involved should a replacement be needed (due to injury).

My main target now in the remainder of FA is Yeremiah Bell... come on bill take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes