Welcome to PatsFans.com

Release the Hounds: BB on a FA rampage!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Run DMC, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Run DMC

Run DMC Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -3

#24 Jersey

Maybe the Pats are realizing the clock is ticking for TB12 and it's time to go for it. I can't remember a FA orgy like this ever. The O is beyond ridiculously stacked now, hopefully we draft 5 DB's in the draft! This is going to be a fun season.
    bill belichick - go for it.jpg
  2. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +579 / 7 / -2

#24 Jersey

This is my one fear in all this:

Not saying that is the case, just have this nagging worry at the back of my mind.
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,117 / 6 / -23

#61 Jersey

I suspect that McDaniels is behind some of what has happened so far.
  4. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +163 / 3 / -1

Barring an undisclosed injury or health issue, I think you can rest comfortably that Brady is planning to play out his current contract (three more seasons, putting him at 37 for the third year, the average retirement age for an SB era HOF QB). After that, I'm not so sure and neither is anyone else.
  5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,674 / 70 / -75

Disable Jersey

I think people are getting caught up in the numbers. A lot of these players are low enders or risk/flyer types.
  6. Gronkandez

Gronkandez Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 4 / -6

Must of us have never heard of most of these guys or at least haven't heard from them in years. I definitely wouldn't consider what they're doing as "going all in."

:rocker:

Marquice Cole - New England Patriots - 2012 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com
  7. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +400 / 4 / -10

anyone know how much guaranteed money has been handed out since FA has started?
  8. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +769 / 21 / -27

Exactly. But by the same token the ones that aren't flyers are an impressive first step too.
  9. Sydney

Sydney Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But they're filling in some key needs. I don't think I'd expect Lloyd to end up with more than 7 or 800 yards for instance, but we finally have that guy who can legitimately burn down the field. Gallery paired with Dante is extremely intriguing and if Waters and Light stay this might be the best offensive line we've had since Brady has been here.
  10. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,674 / 70 / -75

Disable Jersey

I'm not complaining about what's been done, or belittling it. What they're doing is smart stuff, as long as they're giving out veteran minimum contracts to a fair share of the low end guys. Between the 'bonus' kickback for veteran minimum deals, and the lack of lower round picks this year, it's a very good way to stock the OTA/training camp rosters.

On the other hand, the team's added one starter on offense (Lloyd) and a bunch of "Starter? Maybe, but...." players on defense. There will still be plenty of moves to come, I'm sure.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  11. juny

juny Rookie

Ratings:
    +70 / 1 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Overall, the moves have solidified some positions on the team. However, the defense still needs to improve with a playmaker.
  12. strngplyr

strngplyr On the Roster

Ratings:
    +267 / 3 / -0

We haven't loaded up on talent during FA, we've just signed a lot of bodies. Lloyd is the only starter I see so far, the rest are for competition or marginal improvements in areas that will still potentially be further addressed.

Don't get caught up in the quantity of signings when most are simple depth signings (which isn't bad, we we heavily tested in the depth department last season).
  13. voluntarysaftey

voluntarysaftey Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 4 / -2

Stoked about the offense.
    Now draft some impact D players and get a couple aging / something still left to prove veteran D players to help coach them along.
  14. mrscruff

mrscruff PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 3 / -0

#32 Jersey

I saw a quote yesterday pointing out that some of the guys brought in could ascend to be borderline "starters" yet by the same token may not even be on the opening day roster. The Pats are collecting talented guys, some with question marks at an opportune time, and ultimately training camp and/or injuries will separate the wheat from the chaff. It is a unique situation with so many FA's available and BB, ever the opportunist, is taking full advantage.
  15. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +163 / 7 / -3

This is BB bringing in competition. I doubt all of the new signings will make the roster.
  16. The Scrizz

The Scrizz Rookie

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -2

#11 Jersey

I think the fact that there was basically no off-season last year factored into the lack of depth (along with the yearly injury saga). BB will have all spring and summer to evaluate these guys now which should make for great competition in camp.
  17. coolguy

coolguy Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hope i'm wrong, but i got a feeling all those wide receiver signings were made i because they anticipate a wes welker holdout.
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  18. Don Kipines

Don Kipines Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Lloyd, Fanene, Fells, and Gallery all seem like significant contributors to me. The rest seem like back-of-the-roster types, with the possible exception of Gregory, who might end up playing a lot on defense just by default.

It doesn't seem to me like they've gone crazy at all. None of these moves comes with a major financial commitment. But they bought a lot of upside. I'd like to see one more big sign on defense -- maybe Castillo?
  19. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +67 / 2 / -2

They'll get Wes done. This builds competition and puts more an onus on Wes I would think. He's still the best slot in the league, but we can work the middle with tight ends if need be and we have a couple receivers who should eb able to play the outside.

It will be best with Wes, but the games will still be played. Not everyone signed will be on the 53 man roster, but BB will put together what he thinks gives them the best chance to win and some people who have been involved should a replacement be needed (due to injury).
  20. Leemo

Leemo Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 2 / -0

#87 Jersey

My main target now in the remainder of FA is Yeremiah Bell... come on bill take a look
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.