PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Relax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdubh3

Rookie
Reaction score
Did the Pats get rid of Tom Brady or Richard Seymour? Last time I checked no. The core of the team is still here. The Pats loaded up on Draft picks this season for a reason. This years class is deep. Last year was not. As far as all of the losses to FA, none have really worried me or suprised me. Willie Mac was a great Pat, but on his last legs in the NFL and def not worth 4 mill a year. Givens was a 7th round draft pick that was a great system player. I loved the way the guy played, but he was not worth the amount of money he made on the free agent market. Adam Vinatieri is/was a great Patriot. I loved the guy, but lets face it.... he is still a kicker. There is no need to pay him a hugh contract. He is on the down side of his career, not on the upswing. Lets all take a deep breath and relax. The Patriots will be just fine. Everyone freaked out when Milloy was cut a couple years ago and things worked out just fine. This season a couple OLD "Milloy's" have been cut, but they can be filled without much trouble in my opinion. Lets sign some lower tier free agents, like we have in the past (i.e. Mike Vrabel) and bring out the best in them. I think some players that would work well in New England would be Haynes from Pitt and Keyshawn Johnson. Both will get the job done and we won't have to break the bank. Free agency helps the building process but you never make a champion by paying for the top dollar free agents. If you think that way, go ask Dan Snyder how that theory works in the real word.

Let's no go overboard

Wow. I've never seen such a marginalization on two of the greatest players that have ever played for this team. A little too much on the whistling past the graveyard side of things for me. AV and WM are HUGE losses to this team. Period. End of story.

That said, I think BB is making his moves not so much on next year as he is 2 and 3 years from now. He's opened up some holes on this roster that he will fill with younger, cheaper and hopefully better players that will allow us to set up another 3-4 year run. He's also getting cap room to hopefully sign Branch and Seymour to extensions.

I think next year will be interesting. We probably won't be as good as we were last year or the two years before but it will be interesting to see some new players develop.

Still an upgrade, potentially...

SoonerPatriot said:
Wow. I've never seen such a marginalization on two of the greatest players that have ever played for this team. A little too much on the whistling past the graveyard side of things for me. AV and WM are HUGE losses to this team. Period. End of story.

That said, I think BB is making his moves not so much on next year as he is 2 and 3 years from now. He's opened up some holes on this roster that he will fill with younger, cheaper and hopefully better players that will allow us to set up another 3-4 year run. He's also getting cap room to hopefully sign Branch and Seymour to extensions.

I think next year will be interesting. We probably won't be as good as we were last year or the two years before but it will be interesting to see some new players develop.

"We probably won't be as good as we were last year or..." I am not at all convinced that is true. The WR situation may well end up an upgrade. Eespecially if we get either Keyshawn and/or Moulds to replace Givens and Davis.

Losing Willie does hurt, but I suspect that BB/SP are opening up room for Bobby Carpenter and a vet (Julian Peterson?). This is the year to rebuild the LB corps, the last area of the Team that they have not rebuilt. I still think Steve Davis or Fred Taylor will end up in the backfield with Cory Dillon, too.

Overall those changes ares an upgrade, IMO, even with the real loss of Willie.

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
I am not at all convinced that is true. The Wr situation may well end up an upgrade. if we get keyshawn and Moulds to replace givesn and Davis. Losing Willie does hurt but i suspect hat BB/SP are opening up room for Bobby Carpenter and a vet (Julian Peterson?). i still think Steve davis or Fred tasylor will end up in the backfield with dillon.

Overall that is an upgrade, IMO, even with the real loss of Willie.

Keyshawn and Moulds woulnd't really be an upgrade, maybe in the short term but both don't have a lot left in the tank and are older than dirt. I would hope BB would go after younger guys who will be able to play longer and would also be cheaper.

BB is creating this room to sign Branch and Seymour long term, not to bring in guys like Peterson. I don't think we'll see one significant "name guy" signed this off-season.

I am pleased with where the Patriots are. They will make their mark. Patience.

Michigan Dave said:
I am pleased with where the Patriots are. They will make their mark. Patience.

Looks like they are getting in line early for the Adrian Peterson derby in the 2007 NFL draft.

"With the first selection in the 2007 draft, the Patriots select..."

This is a joke. WTF.

yeah the pats are dead are you kidding me? so much for team first attitude guys..we loose 3 or 4 good players and you'd think belicheck walked out, brady demands to be traded, dillion publicly critcizes the pats, bruschi claims he doesnt wanna play football anymore, and harrison cant walk anymore.. what happened to no I in team...we should, and still can get it done...every season players get released and move on..just so happens now it happens now its after a non-superbowl win season and some system veterans are the ones leaving.. the say belicheck leaves and brady sucks and seymour isnt on our team and bruschi cant jump over olinemen anymore..than i will conclude the pats are dead..

WILLIE..u are a beast my man do ur thing in cleveland..

Fantasic4x50x54x59x55 said:
yeah the pats are dead are you kidding me? so much for team first attitude guys..we loose 3 or 4 good players and you'd think belicheck walked out, brady demands to be traded, dillion publicly critcizes the pats, bruschi claims he doesnt wanna play football anymore, and harrison cant walk anymore.. what happened to no I in team...we should, and still can get it done...every season players get released and move on..just so happens now it happens now its after a non-superbowl win season and some system veterans are the ones leaving.. the say belicheck leaves and brady sucks and seymour isnt on our team and bruschi cant jump over olinemen anymore..than i will conclude the pats are dead..

WILLIE..u are a beast my man do ur thing in cleveland..

Seems to me that this team is in a quick rebuilding mode all of a sudden. Some people are so "Belichick is God-ish" that he could release Brady, sign Matt Tomczak and you'd attack anyone who questioned his ability.

Won't be long until "Education of a Coach" is #1 on the top 10 comedy books.

Jacky Roberts said:
Looks like they are getting in line early for the Adrian Peterson derby in the 2007 NFL draft.

This is a joke. WTF.
No, pal. YOU'RE the joke. The absolute worst I've ever seen on this board.

Jacky Roberts said:

This is a joke. WTF.
If that is all one can see..you are blinder than a bat....What trash!!

SoonerPatriot said:

Absolutely amazing. A breath of common sense !! Who knew ?? ??

I think your perspective is very applicable.

It's incredible that folks don't look at a couple things.

1 - This is a funny money year. Contracts are hugely inflated. AND AND AND they are for multiple years where they will really cause teams salary cap problems for years to come. Next year's cap will NOT increase enough to give these teams a 'get out of jail free' card. Not only that, but if you look at some of these contracts, they are BACKLOADED which means that they will be a much bigger problem for salary caps starting next year. These teams are going to be OUT of the free agent market next year. The free agent contracts next year are not going to be anywhere near the size of this year AND there are going to be a lot of quality free agents next year fighting for the small amount of money available. The smartest tactic in the world is to basically sit out of the free agent turmoil this year and be in the catbird's seat next year. Even so, as has been mentioned many times in threads on this board, with all of the excess spending going on now, there is a very good chance that there will be some solid players available for decent money after the draft and early in the summer. Belichick and Pioli have been pretty good at finding real future contributors (except for last season).

It seems highly unlikely that the Pats will sign Seymour to an extension this year. He's going to be looking at the funny money contracts and isn't going to want to settle for anything less. The market will be considerably reduced next year and the Pats will then try to work out an extension if Seymour doesn't find a sugar daddy (which he probably will). It will be interesting to see what happens with Deion Branch. I think it's hard to figure out what his headset will be whether he will be after the most dollars possible or whether he will settle for a very respectable but lesser contract.

2 - It's almost ridiculous to see how folks seem to feel that there is plenty of cap money to spend on all of their favorite players - and a whole boatload of funny money free agents in addition !! You just have to shake you head and wonder if they can add. If only one of them would look at paying an entire 53 man roster and see if they can fit all of these cap numbers that they think are no problem into a total cap for the 53 man roster. I think they would quickly find out that there isn't nearly as much money as they dream. So maybe they should go off in a separate thread and bash each other to see which of their favorite players have to get left off the roster when there isn't enough money to go around. Miguel's salary cap page is, of course, the mandatory resource to start working out numbers.

arrellbee said:
Absolutely amazing. A breath of common sense !! Who knew ?? ??

I think your perspective is very applicable.

It's incredible that folks don't look at a couple things.

1 - This is a funny money year. Contracts are hugely inflated. AND AND AND they are for multiple years where they will really cause teams salary cap problems for years to come. Next year's cap will NOT increase enough to give these teams a 'get out of jail free' card. Not only that, but if you look at some of these contracts, they are BACKLOADED which means that they will be a much bigger problem for salary caps starting next year. These teams are going to be OUT of the free agent market next year. The free agent contracts next year are not going to be anywhere near the size of this year AND there are going to be a lot of quality free agents next year fighting for the small amount of money available. The smartest tactic in the world is to basically sit out of the free agent turmoil this year and be in the catbird's seat next year. Even so, as has been mentioned many times in threads on this board, with all of the excess spending going on now, there is a very good chance that there will be some solid players available for decent money after the draft and early in the summer. Belichick and Pioli have been pretty good at finding real future contributors (except for last season).

It seems highly unlikely that the Pats will sign Seymour to an extension this year. He's going to be looking at the funny money contracts and isn't going to want to settle for anything less. The market will be considerably reduced next year and the Pats will then try to work out an extension if Seymour doesn't find a sugar daddy (which he probably will). It will be interesting to see what happens with Deion Branch. I think it's hard to figure out what his headset will be whether he will be after the most dollars possible or whether he will settle for a very respectable but lesser contract.

2 - It's almost ridiculous to see how folks seem to feel that there is plenty of cap money to spend on all of their favorite players - and a whole boatload of funny money free agents in addition !! You just have to shake you head and wonder if they can add. If only one of them would look at paying an entire 53 man roster and see if they can fit all of these cap numbers that they think are no problem into a total cap for the 53 man roster. I think they would quickly find out that there isn't nearly as much money as they dream. So maybe they should go off in a separate thread and bash each other to see which of their favorite players have to get left off the roster when there isn't enough money to go around. Miguel's salary cap page is, of course, the mandatory resource to start working out numbers.
Am I hearing common sense here?? Someone with a brain and understanding of what is going on?? For awhile I thought I was in the whining message board..or the dunce one.. Back to reality...common sense..NOT all that common..especially today. Great post!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back