PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Relative value: Punters vs. Place-kickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I was originally in the camp who hoped that, with some luxury picks, the Pats would take the best available punter. As I write this, we're late in the sixth, and I wouldn't mind one here.

However, I checked, and punters are worth a LOT less than placekickers. Here's what I mean.

1) Most people would agree that the scoring part of a placekicker's job is more important than the kicking off part.

2) I suspect a punter's quality has no more of an effect on net return average than a kick-off guy's quality. (If I'm wrong, it's because punters are more differentiated inside the 20 than I think.)

3) Hanson seems to punt about half as often as Gost kicks off.

So unless I'm terribly mistaken, a punter's average impact on the game (holding for kicks aside) is less than 1/4 of a placekicker's, perhaps much less.

I was originally in the camp who hoped that, with some luxury picks, the Pats would take the best available punter. As I write this, we're late in the sixth, and I wouldn't mind one here.

However, I checked, and punters are worth a LOT less than placekickers. Here's what I mean.

1) Most people would agree that the scoring part of a placekicker's job is more important than the kicking off part.

2) I suspect a punter's quality has no more of an effect on net return average than a kick-off guy's quality. (If I'm wrong, it's because punters are more differentiated inside the 20 than I think.)

3) Hanson seems to punt about half as often as Gost kicks off.

So unless I'm terribly mistaken, a punter's average impact on the game (holding for kicks aside) is less than 1/4 of a placekicker's, perhaps much less.

BTW, that valuation appears to be Pats-specific:

2009 K: 172
2009 P: 142 164

2008 K: 178 235
2008 P: 168

2007 K: 160 178 [Folk] 195
2007 P: 101 112 225

2006 K: 118 [Ghost] 188
2006 P: 203 239

2005 K: 47 [Nugent!] 202 239
2005 P: 99 210

2004 K: 65 [Kaeding] 137 229
2004 P: 87 188 224

I meant actual value to the team, not draft value.

That said, draft value is of course a clue as to what teams think about the question.

Another clue would be top salaries, and unless I'm mistaken those greatly favor the kickers.

I meant actual value to the team, not draft value.

That said, draft value is of course a clue as to what teams think about the question.

Another clue would be top salaries, and unless I'm mistaken those greatly favor the kickers.

More or less, I think, except for Shane Lechler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots