PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss's tidbit how some view the Patriots negotiating with holdouts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss's tidbit how some view the Patriot's negotiating with holdouts...

Maybe what Mo should've said is,
Those who can't, hide inside the glass houses of academia & tenure.

Good on the FO for not getting into a pissing match with the other side, though I don't see much wrong with extending an invite for a face-to-face. If you can look them in the eye, maybe you'll catch them blinking.
Maybe what you should have done is let Mo speak for Mo.

I think for a lot of people, their opinion is swayed by where they are in their life. For the typical blue collar football fan, unions = champions of justice and corporations = money grubbing [alleged] mass murdering slave owners.

So when they here that a player is being "wronged" or "disrespected" or <insert derogatory buzzword of the day>, they instantly assume the team is being unnecessarily stingy.

Maybe in the old days, but when that union is representing pampered, millionaire athletes I don't think you'll find the blue-collar or white collar workforce throwing a whole lot of sympathy their way.:rolleyes:

Brandt is a former FO contract negotiator (GB) and agent... Former being the operative term. Reminds me of that old saying, those who can do, those who can't teach...or in this case write.

He apparently believes he's clairvoyant lately since only Brady's classiness had precluded him from expressing the frustration Brandt sixth senses...

Truly successful teams seldom chase talent or prostitute themselves in it's persuit. Polian may pay or even overpay select talent, but not often. And he's been burnt in the process. Manning isn't extended yet and he's had to muddle through seasons where he lost core players on his OL, WR, RB because they wanted more than Polian believed they were worth. The year after they won their one and only SB they fielded a team with 19 first timers on the roster and still made the playoffs. Two years later they were back competing for a Lombardi (which they sadly lost...;). Pittsburgh has been notoriously cheap and disinclined to kow tow to it's stars. Like us more of an if you want to be here, fine approach. If not, life will go on.

When was the last time a team who catered to the inmates won the trophy?? The JETS historically cater and they been chasin' a championship - even a division one short of default by tie - for some time now...

Desperate teams routinely behave foolishly in their desperation, but they seldom win as a result. Agents don't care if they win, they only care about making money. Brandt's claim to fame he routinely reminds anyone interested in listening to is he negotiated the spectacular contract extension Bus wanted for Brett predicated on his teasing retirement for the next decade. That $100M didn't buy the Packers a damn thing but a massive 8 year recurring off season headache followed by a probable decade long PR nightmare.

Are you serious? Brandt was hugely successful. He was an excellent agent and not only in football. I know, I worked at his old Sports Agency in Arlington, VA. I was only an intern. Brandt actually badgered my boss to give me a permanent job but I was a couple years short of graduation. Anyway, this was the top sports agency in the world. Brandt went on to be a bigwig in the NFL, NBA, but he also did tennis and figure skating. He had his hands in everything.

Maybe what Mo should've said is,
Those who can't, hide inside the glass houses of academia & tenure.

Good on the FO for not getting into a pissing match with the other side, though I don't see much wrong with extending an invite for a face-to-face. If you can look them in the eye, maybe you'll catch them blinking.

Hide inside of a glass house?

You're definitely getting your metaphors screwed up.

I know this: 90% of academic jobs don't correlate to the real world. There is no corporation called: pure mathematics. Now, maybe you're talking about business schools. There it might apply. But generally I see top economists, finance guys, practicing professionals, retired pros--those are the type of people who teach professional school. Otherwise, when it comes to Physics, Math, History--those things aren't DONE outside the ivory glass house or whatever you want to call it.

In this case, we're talking about Andy Brandt, a highly successful former agent.

I wasn't referring to Brandt in particular. I don't doubt that he speaks from successful experience; I also don't doubt, however, that there are many more who resemble Prof. Philip Barbay from Dangerfield's Back to School. Either way, that was a comment prob. better made in the political forum.

Last edited:
This report sounds like it's coming from an agent. Big surprise that they wouldn't like dealing with the Pats. :rolleyes:

BB is executing on some of the major rules of negotiating:

-Never tell or show the other party how badly you want what is being negotiated for.
-Never be emotional.
-When a stalemate exists, never be the first one to talk.

And since the Pat's haven't done any of this, Mankin's agent has made all 3 of those mistakes. And now everyone knows the guy is an idiot and public opinion seems to be in favor of the Pats front office.

I'm glad the Pat's front office is good at their job.

And since the Pat's haven't done any of this, Mankin's agent has made all 3 of those mistakes. And now everyone knows the guy is an idiot and public opinion seems to be in favor of the Pats front office.

as far as you know.

again, you don't know what has been said privately.

as far as the situation, Mankins is only bound to the pats as an RFA because of the uncapped year. the moment a CBA is agreed to, Mankins will become a UFA, and then the pats will have to use the franchise tag instead of an RFA tender. if there is no CBA, they're not playing or getting paid next year anyway. so at the end of the day, there is not a whole lot of motivation for mankins to even show up week 10

Maybe in the old days, but when that union is representing pampered, millionaire athletes I don't think you'll find the blue-collar or white collar workforce throwing a whole lot of sympathy their way.:rolleyes:

You mean compared to multi-hundred millionaire (and sometimes billionaire) owners? Players are still the "little guy" in their industry, financially.

as far as you know.

again, you don't know what has been said privately.

as far as the situation, Mankins is only bound to the pats as an RFA because of the uncapped year. the moment a CBA is agreed to, Mankins will become a UFA, and then the pats will have to use the franchise tag instead of an RFA tender. if there is no CBA, they're not playing or getting paid next year anyway. so at the end of the day, there is not a whole lot of motivation for mankins to even show up week 10

They don't HAVE to use the franchise tender, and I'd be surprised it they would given that they'd be on the hook for something like 10M for a one year rental of a disgruntled cancerous player.

Public opinion is almost always "in favor" of the team once the impasse begins to result in the player not being in camp/playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes