PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss's tidbit how some view the Patriots negotiating with holdouts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I thought this was interesting...that agents do NOT like dealing with the Chargers and Pats...
From that....Former NFL agent and executive Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post is the one quoted....

"The response of Belichick and the team [to Mankins] has been silent indifference," Brandt writes. "As much as the media tries, Belichick will not take the bait; he will not provide fodder for the player and the agent. His indifference, to players and agents, is maddening ..."

I for one think what and how they have acted is GREAT!! In fact more teams should. That it drives the media and agents a bit crazy?? All the better...THEY are doing the best for the team...

Re: Reiss's tidbit how some view the Patriot's negotiating with holdouts...

I thought this was interesting...that agents do NOT like dealing with the Chargers and Pats...
From that....Former NFL agent and executive Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post is the one quoted....

"The response of Belichick and the team [to Mankins] has been silent indifference," Brandt writes. "As much as the media tries, Belichick will not take the bait; he will not provide fodder for the player and the agent. His indifference, to players and agents, is maddening ..."

I for one think what and how they have acted is GREAT!! In fact more teams should. That it drives the media and agents a bit crazy?? All the better...THEY are doing the best for the team...

Yeah really! Why is this being positioned like it's a bad thing?

I don't see it as a bad thing at all......maybe because the one talking about it Brandt is an ex-agent.....

BB is executing on some of the major rules of negotiating:

-Never tell or show the other party how badly you want what is being negotiated for.
-Never be emotional.
-When a stalemate exists, never be the first one to talk.

It's hard core but good for him....

Last edited:

It is for the agent when they don't get the free publicity that comes from the back and forth banter....
I was going to use Drew Rosenhaus as a reference point but he seems to have a good professional working relationship with the Patriots, I guess it is one of mutual respect unlike his status with some other clubs...

First off, of course agents would prefer to negotiate with teams like the Redskins rather than teams like the Patriots and Chargers. A brief history with a comparison of the contracts they offer makes that a no-brainer.

So sorry if those two clubs don't negotiate through the media. I don't see any upside for any NFL team doing that.

If the team's 'indifference' is so maddening to an agent, here's a thought: pick up the phone and ask to schedule a meeting. If you can't get one with Belichick, call Kraft and schedule one with him.

The team made an offer and you rejected it. Your client has said that he is not going to play and he will sit out the season. The next move is on you, the agent and player, not the team. Do your job, this isn't exactly rocket science.

I think for a lot of people, their opinion is swayed by where they are in their life. For the typical blue collar football fan, unions = champions of justice and corporations = money grubbing [alleged] mass murdering slave owners.

So when they here that a player is being "wronged" or "disrespected" or <insert derogatory buzzword of the day>, they instantly assume the team is being unnecessarily stingy.

I think for a lot of people, their opinion is swayed by where they are in their life. For the typical blue collar football fan, unions = champions of justice and corporations = money grubbing [alleged] mass murdering slave owners.

So when they here that a player is being "wronged" or "disrespected" or <insert derogatory buzzword of the day>, they instantly assume the team is being unnecessarily stingy.

:agree:

This.

Last edited:

Ironically, since Belichick and AJ Smith have taken over negotiations for their respective teams, they have both been consistently top teams in the league while teams like the Redskins, Raiders, and even Cowboys (the Cowboys have been at the top on and off, but tend to never live up to their talent) who freely dole out big contracts have not.

Brandt is a former FO contract negotiator (GB) and agent... Former being the operative term. Reminds me of that old saying, those who can do, those who can't teach...or in this case write.

He apparently believes he's clairvoyant lately since only Brady's classiness had precluded him from expressing the frustration Brandt sixth senses...

Truly successful teams seldom chase talent or prostitute themselves in it's persuit. Polian may pay or even overpay select talent, but not often. And he's been burnt in the process. Manning isn't extended yet and he's had to muddle through seasons where he lost core players on his OL, WR, RB because they wanted more than Polian believed they were worth. The year after they won their one and only SB they fielded a team with 19 first timers on the roster and still made the playoffs. Two years later they were back competing for a Lombardi (which they sadly lost...;). Pittsburgh has been notoriously cheap and disinclined to kow tow to it's stars. Like us more of an if you want to be here, fine approach. If not, life will go on.

When was the last time a team who catered to the inmates won the trophy?? The JETS historically cater and they been chasin' a championship - even a division one short of default by tie - for some time now...

Desperate teams routinely behave foolishly in their desperation, but they seldom win as a result. Agents don't care if they win, they only care about making money. Brandt's claim to fame he routinely reminds anyone interested in listening to is he negotiated the spectacular contract extension Bus wanted for Brett predicated on his teasing retirement for the next decade. That $100M didn't buy the Packers a damn thing but a massive 8 year recurring off season headache followed by a probable decade long PR nightmare.

They are the best at negotiating. What frustrates agents is 100% positive for the goals of the team.

Ironically, since Belichick and AJ Smith have taken over negotiations for their respective teams, they have both been consistently top teams in the league while teams like the Redskins, Raiders, and even Cowboys (the Cowboys have been at the top on and off, but tend to never live up to their talent) who freely dole out big contracts have not.

Exactly right. Except it's not ironic at all. The 2 things are very closely related. Brandt even says it:

"The Patriots and Chargers have achieved sustained on-field success over the past decade in a challenging system set up to foster parity. "

Then he says "Agents repeatedly express frustration in dealing with the Patriots and Chargers, as tactics used to stir up angst in the team’s front office have little to no effect"

I don't see how this can be anything but a complement to the 2 teams.

The thing that Jackson, Mankins, et al have to understand is that they're part of a union. Sometimes the union giveth. And sometimes it taketh away. In this case, the players are screwed by the rules negotiated by their union. But they have no choice in the matter - unless they chose not to play. And the teams have no reason to give in.

The only position that you can hold out at and really cause problems is at the QB position.

The Patriots are very smart in how they deal with these situations. They know you can only have a certain amount of money per position before it starts a ripple effect.

When a player holds out the best thing you can do is ignore them and make them feel like they are aren't important. These guys all want money but they also have huge ego's.

The Jets and Chargers have both been dealing with the scumbag agents for Revis and Jackson. F&S will use the media and a hold out to get more money. They are truly scumbags and the Jets let Murrell and Douglas go who are both clients of F&S. Not to mention that they went to the media and said the Jets lied about Chris Baker and Pete Kendall. These guys will do anything to get their player a better deal and I hope Tannenbaum tells them F off. As great as Revis is, the Jets salary cap situation in the future would be a disaster if they give in to the demands.

The Pats have always done a great job of making sure it's business and not giving in to the player.

Brandt is a former FO contract negotiator (GB) and agent... Former being the operative term. Reminds me of that old saying, those who can do, those who can't teach...or in this case write.

He apparently believes he's clairvoyant lately since only Brady's classiness had precluded him from expressing the frustration Brandt sixth senses...

Truly successful teams seldom chase talent or prostitute themselves in it's persuit. Polian may pay or even overpay select talent, but not often. And he's been burnt in the process. Manning isn't extended yet and he's had to muddle through seasons where he lost core players on his OL, WR, RB because they wanted more than Polian believed they were worth. The year after they won their one and only SB they fielded a team with 19 first timers on the roster and still made the playoffs. Two years later they were back competing for a Lombardi (which they sadly lost...;). Pittsburgh has been notoriously cheap and disinclined to kow tow to it's stars. Like us more of an if you want to be here, fine approach. If not, life will go on.

When was the last time a team who catered to the inmates won the trophy?? The JETS historically cater and they been chasin' a championship - even a division one short of default by tie - for some time now...

Desperate teams routinely behave foolishly in their desperation, but they seldom win as a result. Agents don't care if they win, they only care about making money. Brandt's claim to fame he routinely reminds anyone interested in listening to is he negotiated the spectacular contract extension Bus wanted for Brett predicated on his teasing retirement for the next decade. That $100M didn't buy the Packers a damn thing but a massive 8 year recurring off season headache followed by a probable decade long PR nightmare.
"Those who can't teach."? My, what an enlightened 21st century view.

BB is executing on some of the major rules of negotiating:

-Never tell or show the other party how badly you want what is being negotiated for.
-Never be emotional.
-When a stalemate exists, never be the first one to talk.

It's hard core but good for him....

key point in successful negotiating, make the offer and shut up. The first person to talk usually loses.....

what he said:rocker:

"You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to
walk away, know when to run!" You never count your money at the table...

Last edited:

key point in successful negotiating, make the offer and shut up. The first person to talk usually loses.....

You got it!!

"Those who can't teach."? My, what an enlightened 21st century view.
Maybe what Mo should've said is,
Those who can't, hide inside the glass houses of academia & tenure.

Good on the FO for not getting into a pissing match with the other side, though I don't see much wrong with extending an invite for a face-to-face. If you can look them in the eye, maybe you'll catch them blinking.

Here is the operative concept--"as much as the media tries". Players and agents aren't nearly as maddened as much as mediots such as Felger and Borges. Felger spent the whole afternoon railing on about BB's refusal to draft pass-rushers, his handling of Mankins, Brady, et al. Players and agents may not like dealing with the Pats, but cannot say they don't know where they stand. anyone who is enraged by dealing with them can only be someone who has never been told "no" before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes