PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Wendell going to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah

Degeneracy Expert
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Twitter / Mike Reiss: Catching up with OL Ryan W ...

I know Connolly has been injured, but I didn't think he would be missing this game. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this tweet, but if Wendell starts, I hope it's not too big of a drop-off...
With Connolly having suffered a concussion, it would not surprise me at all if he is inactive for the game against the Bills. Probably makes more sense to start Wendell at RG than Ojinnaka.

Twitter / Mike Reiss: Catching up with OL Ryan W ...

I know Connolly has been injured, but I didn't think he would be missing this game. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this tweet, but if Wendell starts, I hope it's not too big of a drop-off...

It's an area of big concern because Connolly is a key cog in the run game. He runs most of the trapping and kick outs because he is so athletic.

We don't really run that many outside zone runs, so who knows what will happen in terms of how we block for inside zones. Perhaps we will run more to the right and use Mankins for the trapping.

This means we will start most of our drives at our own 1 yard line, this means one thing: 4,000 yard season for Brady!

What about Ohrn-bust, when is he goign to get a shot at playing?
Right now he's in a tight battle with Taylor Price for most consecutive games inactive. Tough call to say who breaks that streak first.

He did make the news in a positive way yesterday, although the description of "NFL star" may be a bit premature:

NFL Star Rich Ohrnberger Donates $5,000 to East Meadow Kiwanis - East Meadow, NY Patch
Rich Ohrnberger will be making a big difference in the lives of many East Meadow families this holiday season. In a Dec. 14 ceremony at East Meadow High School, the New England Patriots' offensive lineman presented the East Meadow Kiwanis Club with a $5,000 gift for its Holiday Basket Program.

This project benefits families that wouldn't otherwise have a holiday dinner because of trying circumstances. It provides them with the components of a complete meal delivered to their home by club members at no charge.

EMHS officials readily agreed to allow Ohrnberger to make the presentation on school grounds as a sign of respect for one of its outstanding former alumni. During his time there, Ohrnberger was lettered in both football and lacrosse. He excelled in football, in which he was a three-year letterman and a two-year captain.

Additionally, he was named the 2003 New York AA Player of the Year and was a two time all-conference, two time all-county, all-metro and all-Long Island pick. A recipient of the Thorp Award as the Most Outstanding Player in Nassau County, he did not allow any sacks during his senior season, and averaged 38.0 yards per punt.

Accepting the gift on behalf of the club, East Meadow Kiwanis President Harry Demiris, Jr. thanked Ohrnberger for his generosity.

NFL player returns to East Meadow to help hometown families - LIHerald.com - Nassau County

For Ohrnberger, supporting families from his hometown was a no brainer. “With Kiwanis benefiting the community, it was a nice way to keep it local in East Meadow,” Ohrnberger said.

Ohrnberger’s donation to Kiwanis is not his first. Last year, he donated to Island Harvest, which helps feed the hungry across Long Island. This year, he spoke with EMHS principal Rich Howard about doing something more close to home.

“He wanted to make sure these families benefit from his success,” Howard said. “It was very important to him that it strictly goes to East Meadow families. So he hooked up with Kiwanis and it was a perfect match.”

Last edited:
Connolly's status for game in question - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Starting right guard Dan Connolly, who earned AFC Special Teams Player of the Week honors for his 71-yard kickoff return, missed his third straight day of practice because of a concussion. This puts his status for Sunday's game in Buffalo in question.

Connolly has not been spotted in the locker room this week during media-access periods. If he doesn't play -- and that's looking more likely -- the Patriots would probably turn to either second-year player Ryan Wendell or five-year veteran Quinn Ojinnaka.

He did make the news in a positive way yesterday, although the description of "NFL star" may be a bit premature:

"Star" is a relative term.

If only one kid from a small town high school has ever played in the NFL than the term "NFL star" can be used to describe even an UDFA who played in on series of one preseason game before become a camp causality.

I'm a bit concerned but Wendell has looked okay in stretches but got pushed around a bit in the GB game. I'm hopeful having the entire week's worth of reps will help.

We are getting thin at guard though. We started the season without Mankins, and hoped Kaczur or Connolly could fill in while Neal held down the right guard spot. Now all 3 of those guys are gone while Mankins is still standing. Strange season.

We can win without Connolly the next two weeks, but it'd be good to have him back for the play-offs.

Whats with all of these concussion injuries?

or is everyone being extra cautious this year with any head injury?

I can't remember a season with so many on this team....

I can't remember a season with so many in the NFL period.

I think people are just becoming more aware of the seriousness of concussions. Lots of players got concussions in the past but would either not recognize it as a concussion, or just go back into the game the next play to be a tough guy.

This article goes into it a bit more:

NFL players with concussions now sidelined longer, study finds

"There are a number of possible explanations for the decrease in percentages of players returning to play immediately and returning to play on the day of the injury as well as the increased days out after (a concussion) during the recent six year period compared to the first six year period," write authors Ira R. Casson, M.D.; David C. Viano, Dr. med.; Ph.D., John W. Powell, Ph.D.; and Elliot J. Pellman, M.D. "These include the possibility of increased concussion severity, increased player willingness to report symptoms to medical staff, adoption of a more cautious conservative approach to concussion management by team medical personnel and a possible effect of changes in neuropsychological (NP) testing."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes