PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Welker practicing, Wilfork not, Andre the Giant in the House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Reiss' blog - ESPN Boston

Interesting. Maybe Welker is only testing things out there.

The thing to remember is Welker was on the practice field during media access. Doesn't mean he was still there when they left. We all know the old trick of forcing a team to prepare for more than they have to.

The thing to remember is Welker was on the practice field during media access. Doesn't mean he was still there when they left. We all know the old trick of forcing a team to prepare for more than they have to.

He was "limited" for the past couple of weeks. If he had an acute injury that would resolve with time (sprain), I'd have expected to see them sit him out for a bit, then bring him back in. If he continues to be "limited," game-time decision, I am thinking more of a chronic injury (meniscus) that will require surgery at some point. It will be interesting to see if he was again "limited" today, or if he is "full".

What's the story on terdell sands? Is he any good or strictly a JAG to fill space until Wilfork returns?

Andre the Giant has been dead for years. If he was at practice, I sure hope they were practicing outside or the practice bubble is going to smell something fearce.

He was "limited" for the past couple of weeks. If he had an acute injury that would resolve with time (sprain), I'd have expected to see them sit him out for a bit, then bring him back in. If he continues to be "limited," game-time decision, I am thinking more of a chronic injury (meniscus) that will require surgery at some point. It will be interesting to see if he was again "limited" today, or if he is "full".

Reiss mentioned a swollen knee which I think is consistent with meniscus and needing arthroscopic surgery to clean the knee out, so you're probably right.

Last edited:

Limited today FWIW

Two things about the meniscus.

One, if it's a big tear, they operate and repair, but you come back from that quickly.... a few weeks.

Two, if it's a small tear, the athlete can choose not to operate and let it heal on its own, but the time for it to heal is lengthy--a few months.

For the sake of the athlete's future, doctors will recommend NOT operating if the tear is small.

The meniscus deals with issues of blood circulation, and when the tear is larger, it goes behind the knee where there is little to any circulation, and natural healing is rare.

I'm thinking it's a sprain and they're managing it. He might have played last week on a dry field, imo.

Regardless, I really hope he's back this week. I believe that I am stating the obvious when I say that we're going to really need him.

What's the story on terdell sands? Is he any good or strictly a JAG to fill space until Wilfork returns?

Well, he got cut from the Raiders and no one picked him up, so.....you do the math on that one. That being said, a JAG has a place on an NFL roster these days, and he could turn out to be a solid backup.

Andre the Giant has been dead for years. If he was at practice, I sure hope they were practicing outside or the practice bubble is going to smell something fearce.

Terdell Sands creates a buzz. Newly signed defensive lineman Terdell Sands walked through the locker room, and his simple presence was hard not to miss. At 6-foot-7, he is an imposing presence. Sands did not answer questions from reporters as he was headed to a meeting. When one reporter raced after him and later turned around, running back Kevin Faulk jokingly asked if "Andre the Giant" had anything to say.

Well, he got cut from the Raiders and no one picked him up, so.....you do the math on that one.
Here's my math on that one:

0 = the number of players cut by another team and picked up by someone we signed

100% = The percentage of players we signed that were not picked up by anyone else.

Every free agent we ever signed was cut from one team or another and not picked up. If they had been picked up, we couldn't have signed them!

I think it is a mistake to think that any player that Oakland doesn't want must suck or is a JAG.

0 = the number of players cut by another team and picked up by someone we signed

100% = The percentage of players we signed that were not picked up by anyone else.

Every free agent we ever signed was cut from one team or another and not picked up. If they had been picked up, we couldn't have signed them!

I think it is a mistake to think that any player that Oakland doesn't want must suck or is a JAG.

All true, but isn't there a different between players who are cut from different teams at different times? Wouldn't a linebacker cut from, say, the Ravens seem to have more value than one cut from the Bengals? If a player is available for a long time (several weeks or more), maybe he isn't as much of a commodity as one who's only been free for 24 hours. Salary cap cuts mean something too, I think.

No big expectations for Sands, but it would be great if he could leverage his 6-7, 335-pound frame into opposing offensive lines.

Well, I think you're being a little cute there. I think it's fair to say that any player who (1) has been cut from a bad team; (2) has not been picked up by another team almost a month into the season; and (3) signed a contract at or near the vet minimum is not ready to steal Vince's job. A JAG is a JAG - I'm not saying he can't provide effective depth.

Reiss goes from SHUT DOWN for season to Game time decision in under 24 hours

GOOD JOB REISS (GFY) Fity's meaning

I am starting to dislike Reiss because of these past two weeks

Two things about the meniscus.

One, if it's a big tear, they operate and repair, but you come back from that quickly.... a few weeks.

Two, if it's a small tear, the athlete can choose not to operate and let it heal on its own, but the time for it to heal is lengthy--a few months.

For the sake of the athlete's future, doctors will recommend NOT operating if the tear is small.

The meniscus deals with issues of blood circulation, and when the tear is larger, it goes behind the knee where there is little to any circulation, and natural healing is rare.

do you think Welker's quality of play will be effected by this and is this an injury that will be bothering him the whole season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes