PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Weis Draws Interest from NFL Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
For those that thought Weis was not a great fit in the NFL, and was suited only to the college ranks: Apparently some NFL teams wholeheartedly disagree.

Per Reiss:

"October 19, 2006
Weis & NFL

Former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis received inquiries from NFL teams during Notre Dame's bye week, but said he plans to stay at Notre Dame, according to a piece in Thursday's Chicago Sun-Times. Weis recently signed a 10-year extension at Notre Dame."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Just thought it was an interesting development in the Weis story. I, for one, always found it curious that Crennel was courted heavily by at least one NFL team and Weis ended up in the College ranks. I guess his alma mater just means that much to him.

Brownfan80 said:
For those that thought Weis was not a great fit in the NFL, and was suited only to the college ranks: Apparently some NFL teams wholeheartedly disagree.

Per Reiss:

"October 19, 2006
Weis & NFL

Former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis received inquiries from NFL teams during Notre Dame's bye week, but said he plans to stay at Notre Dame, according to a piece in Thursday's Chicago Sun-Times. Weis recently signed a 10-year extension at Notre Dame."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Just thought it was an interesting development in the Weis story. I, for one, always found it curious that Crennel was courted heavily by at least one NFL team and Weis ended up in the College ranks. I guess his alma mater just means that much to him.
The college game can be VERY attractive, when you compare it to the NFL life. The time you have to put into the game is probably half what it is with the NFL. There isn't a lot of time off during the year for an NFL staff, and the money is now almost as good, and in Weis' case he wouldn't do a whole lot better.

So if he stays at ND, Charlie will have to put in less time, be more likely to be forgiven for any off year he might have, and still makes several million a year. Why would you want to give up that and go into the preasure cooker that is an NFL coach, a league where if you stay 5 years at any position, you are considered long term.

THe only negative in coaching a major college is recruiting and ND has several built in advantages that make even that onerous job easier.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
I, for one, always found it curious that Crennel was courted heavily by at least one NFL team and Weis ended up in the College ranks. I guess his alma mater just means that much to him.
To my knowledge, NEM is the only one here who thinks Weis wouldn't have gotten an NFL HC job after 2004 had he not gone to ND. He didn't "end up" in college, he chose to go there before NFL teams could talk to him. Crennel didn't have contact with NFL teams at that point either, it was still in the regular season.

What strikes me as most curious about this is the possibility that some NFL teams -- I wonder who -- are already shopping for a new head coach.

I believe that the money is better, certainly if the TV and other revenue is included. Obviously, the lifestyle is much better.

College coaches do a lot more travelling. You have to visit the homes of 50 to 75 players to try to reel them in. It ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

Let's narrow this down to process of elimination. The fact he was contacted during the bye week might indicate that one of the teams on bye contacted him.

Teams on bye last week included:

CLE: a distinct possibility, especially if Weis rebuffed them
GB: another distinct possibility

IND, JAX, MIN, NE: no chance

I'd put my money on either CLE or GB, or both.

I hope Charlie stays right where he is and becomes a Notre Dame legend, the NFL will in all likelihood kill him.

upstater1 said:
College coaches do a lot more travelling. You have to visit the homes of 50 to 75 players to try to reel them in. It ain't all that it's cracked up to be.

Then again, it helps when you can can get your players to help:

Clausen, who has a 3.3 GPA and has taken courses at Ventura (Calif.) Junior College so he can graduate high school early, will enroll at Notre Dame in January and be eligible for next year's spring practices. He is currently working out with a strength coach four days a week, has put on 20 pounds over the last four months and is committing early to the Irish so he can lure other premier recruits to South Bend.

Two of the top wide-outs from the class of 2007, Arrelious Benn of Washington's Dunbar High and 6-foot-5 Duval Kamara of Hoboken, N.J., are expected to be on the Notre Dame campus when Clausen commits, and sources say Clausen will ask them to join him.

patfanken said:
THe only negative in coaching a major college is recruiting and ND has several built in advantages that make even that onerous job easier.

The funny thing is that when Weis first took the job, a torrent of posts here talked about what a lousy job Notre Dame was because of the built-in disadvantages of recruiting there. The conventional wisdom was that ND was handcuffed first by high academic standards, and second by South Bend, Indiana. How can you compete with the likes of a Miami which can recruit any old miscreant off the street for a life of sun and surf? But meanwhile the ND alumni don't understand that reality, have sky-high expectations and will have your head on a platter if you don't succeed.

So now a dozen of Miami's miscreants are facing suspension, and parents are lining up to send some of the top high school players in the country off to Indiana with Charlie. He's made the job look pretty easy, but IMO that's a testament to his skill.

Too little to late for the pros, Charlie is right at home at ND

Weis will leave Notre Dame only for two teams:

(1) New York Giants

(2) New England Patriots

Considering Krispie Kreme's corporate headquarters is located in North Carolina, I think its a pretty good bet that Tummy Tuck will replace John Fox once his Panthers fade. It all makes sense...

http://www.krispykreme.com/

mikey said:
Weis will leave Notre Dame only for two teams:

(1) New York Giants

(2) New England Patriots

Here's how I hope it pans out: BB coaches another eight years then retires, Charlie takes over and leads the Patriots to a Super Bowl championship in Brady's final season.

ND is what Charlie wanted, and I doubt he'll be lured away from there at LEAST until his son graduates. I agree he'd probably want the Patriots job if and when BB moves on or retires.

Top recruits ARE interested in ND again, they WANT to play for Weiss and expect that his pro-style offense will get them into the NFL. It is estimated that ND will have a top 1 or 2 recruiting class for the next few years.

I've only ever rooted for 2 football teams, ND and the Patriots, Charlie going to the Irish was a HUGE thrill for me and I hope he has a legendary career there.

domer23_1917_16642553

Jacky Roberts said:
Considering Krispie Kreme's corporate headquarters is located in North Carolina, I think its a pretty good bet that Tummy Tuck will replace John Fox once his Panthers fade. It all makes sense...

http://www.krispykreme.com/

rodney2.jpg

TaxPlaya said:
Let's narrow this down to process of elimination. The fact he was contacted during the bye week might indicate that one of the teams on bye contacted him.

Teams on bye last week included:

CLE: a distinct possibility, especially if Weis rebuffed them
GB: another distinct possibility

IND, JAX, MIN, NE: no chance

I'd put my money on either CLE or GB, or both.

Nice break down, but you missed one key point.....

The article specifies ND's bye week, which pro teams were on a bye is pretty irrelevant.

To the kind of people making this call, owners/GMs, it doesn't matter if it is a game or bye week since they have little to nothing to do with game prep.

SSDD

Don't underestimate Weis's desire for money. He has a special needs child who requires lifelong care. I can't think of better reason in the world for a sports figure to be greedy than that, except maybe for Dikembe Mutombo's mission to build a whole hospital in his desperately poor home country. (Ditto Manute Bol's attempts to help Sudan, of course.)

A 10-year contract at ND is probably the most secure financial deal he's going to get.

NEM said:
Krispie Kreme Donuts suck.

There is, and will forever be, only ONE Donut. Dunkin Donuts Plain Donut with the handle. The original "Dunkin Donut."

Krispie Kreme are for girls and Girlie Men.
Didja see the kind of donut Huskeralk eats? Check the Trivia thread.... it's all frosted with pink and pastel green icing. I was kinda shocked. Not a very manly pastry. I would have thought him more of a Bear Claw type. .... from the manly Dunkin Donuts of course.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back