PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Weights in on Branch - No Contract Contact Since May

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If this is an example of how Reiss will replace Solomon as the beat reporter, I think the Globe just took a step forward. This piece covers the entire situation, gives lots of context and excellent analysis, without taking sides or letting personal opinion color the tenor of the information. Which is just what a beat reporter should do.

He points out some interesting observations including the apparent foundation of Chayut's underlying contention that Deion was somehow mistreated in the handling of his rookie deal. Mike notes that Chayut never filed a grievance at the time. I recall seeing another agents comments (a partner perhaps) at the time indicating the addition of the 5th year was being worked out via the addition of up to $3M in performance incentives (Deion apparently in hindsight had difficulty reaching for the most part).

I also like the tone Troy takes - supporting his guy but pointing out it's up to him to get his situation straightened out and get back to his teamates - who in his absence by necessity will move on...because it's their season or future or career on the line as well.

Mike mentions the franchise tag request and opines it is the most likely way Deion returns to camp. I think because of the implications it is the least likely. In fact I don't forsee any return short of voluntary. The way to bridge the gap on the contract is with incentives, but the way Chayut has behaved doesn't bode will for bridging the gap that way. I believe there likely is no deal on the table today in light of the holdout extending as it has well into TC. About the only relief Deion should expect is if he comes in sooner rather than later they will likely not impose those prohibitive fines.

What Chayut has accomplished to date is elevating his clients profile. But the pressure that will create returning from a holdout could cause him more harm than good. 32 GM's and the media will be watching his season unfold a lot more closely and critically than they have in the past. Kinda like the way many of us have as Pat's fans. Deion is a very good WR, but thus far he has certain limitations in his game that underlie his not being an elite #1. And those have obviously been factored in to the Pat's offer to slot him as the 13th-17th highest paid WR in a 3 year deal.

"A source close to the parties indicated they are not talking about salary figures because of the difference of opinion regarding Branch's value. The gap was described as being in different stratospheres.

The breakdown in talks traces to May, when the Patriots attempted to spark negotiations by offering Branch a contract extension through 2009. The offer included a $4 million signing bonus and $4 million option bonus payable in 2007. Branch's base salary for 2006 would be $1.045 million, followed by salaries of $1.4 million in 2007, $4.3 million in 2008, and $4.75 million in 2009. The deal also included workout bonuses of $300,000. Over the four years of the deal, Branch would be paid just shy of $5 million per year. Assessing only the three years added to the original contract, plus bonus money, Branch would be averaging about $6.25 million per year.

Looking at the contract over a four-year period (2006-09), Branch would be tied for 17th among NFL receivers in average salary per year with Washington's Santana Moss, St. Louis's Isaac Bruce, and Dallas's Terry Glenn. Focusing solely on the three years added to the original contract (2007-09), Branch would rank 13th in average salary per year, between Pittsburgh's Hines Ward (12th) and Miami's Chris Chambers and Denver's Rod Smith (tied for 14th). Currently, Branch's base salary ranks him 44th among NFL receivers (all rankings are as of the beginning of July).

There has been no dialogue between the sides since the offer in May, although there has been plenty of chatter elsewhere. Branch has told those close to him he was pleased to hear what he felt were supportive comments from quarterback Tom Brady that appeared in a Sports Illustrated piece this week.

Meanwhile, the Patriots continue to work at training camp shorthanded at receiver. Brown said it's no secret what the Patriots are missing in Branch, who led the team with 78 catches for 998 yards and led receivers with five touchdowns last season.

``You've seen him play," Brown said. ``He's a pretty good player. Right now, we just have to work with what we have. I think the guys are doing a good job of getting themselves ready to play. Deion, I think he needs to get his situation straightened out, and we'd like to have him back as soon as possible."

The problem, of course, is that it's difficult to straighten things out when the sides aren't talking. And as of yesterday, the lines of communication remained closed."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/08/05/no_reception_and_no_return/

Branch is just being a d!ck. He should play his contract out and if he needs to get an insurance policy against a career ender, so be it. Then in February, he'll either become a UFA or be franchised at around $7-$8M or so. Little jerk.

It's just wrong-headed thinking by Branch. What he has to figure out is, where does he make the most money? If he holds out much longer, he loses money on his current contract. If he doesn't take what the Patriots might be offering him, he risks being franchised. If the Patriots don't franchise him, he better find someone who is willing to pay him more than $6.4 million a year in free agency, the year after holding out.

If Branch returns, he has the potential to be a bit diruptive if the ball doesn't go his way as often as he wants to in a contract year. Good thing Brady is the QB because I'm sure he'll have none of that.

I don't think any WRs will be happy with the Patriots this year. I'm expecting a dynamic and punishing running game with our strengths up the middle. 2 RBs, lots of TEs, big fast guys, and a lot of offensive lineman that excel in the running game, with Light, Mankins and Neal especially.

Good luck upping your stats.

I seriously question whether Branch will receive $6.5 to 7 million in the open market, and if he does receive that much, it's definitely not worth the risk of injury for an extra say $1 million over the length of the contract.

There's one way out here, that Branch agrees to the Patriots total money but asks for a bigger bonus. I think that would be fair because it would give Branch some protection in case he gets injured this year or next. Settle it for $5 million onus each season, and it's done.

If not, Branch is making a bonehead error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that Mo. I was on vacation last week so I was out of the loop for awhile but wasn't it bantied about that the Pats made a contract offer but Branch's camp never came back with a counter-offer. What kind of negotiating is that?

Personally I think Branch is doing himself more harm than good.

Oh this is gonna suck. Even worse, I can't shake the feeling that, even though we want to do what it takes to win this year... the FO has got to keep an eye on the future and not give in to this crap.

Let him sit, then Tag and trade him next year.

Damnit Branch.

I like Deion. He's such a great player...when he's healthy.

Like Willie before him, I want him to stay in NE, of course, but I wouldn't begrudge him for getting as much as he feels he's worth on the market...
..when his contract with the Pats expires.

While he sits on his ass he can watch his eventual replacements get all his reps and when and if he rejoins the team he'd better show us something this year. I wouldn't want to be him if he doesn't perform.

The whole WR thing is interesting. We know about Branch. Jerry Porter wants out. Lelie is still at home. Stallworth is in but that situation still doesn't sound happy. I wonder when something will break with these guys.

If we could sign the new guy long term I'd trade Branch for :

Stallworth and flip flop our #2 with New Orleans'.
Porter straight up.
Lelie with us getting a good draft pick (our #2 for their #1 as an example).

363839 said:
I like Deion. He's such a great player
He seemed like a great PERSON too.

As the Cindy Lauper song goes : "Money . . . Money Changes Everything".

MoLewisrocks said:
If this is an example of how Reiss will replace Solomon as the beat reporter, I think the Globe just took a step forward. This piece covers the entire situation, gives lots of context and excellent analysis, without taking sides or letting personal opinion color the tenor of the information. Which is just what a beat reporter should do.
This Reiss guy has got to go. He is such a good reporter that I have nothing to whine and complain about. He provides complete information on a controversial matter in a fair, unbiased way without any personal vendettas against specific players and/or management. Doesn't he realize that is not the way to build a career in this city..?!?

Last edited:
QuiGon said:
This Reiss guy has got to go. He is such a good reporter that I have nothing to whine and complain about. He provides complete information on a controversial matter in a fair, unbiased way without any personal vendettas against specific players and/or management. Doesn't he realize that is not the way to build a career in this city..?!?
*waits for I'm Ron Borges' head to explode*

BelichickFan said:
He should play his contract out and if he needs to get an insurance policy against a career ender, so be it. QUOTE]

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm still learning - the players can get insurance against a career ending injury? Do most of them? I'd never heard of that.
Thanks in advance.

QuiGon said:
Sick minds think alike :D

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe (who unlike his colleague Ron Borges isn't in the tank for Branch and Chayut) points out that Chayut didn't file a grievance after the Pats supposedly breached the agreement by yanking the deal.
They also compare Chayut's action to the action that cost Carl Poston a two year suspension. :eek:

nhpatsfan said:
BelichickFan said:
He should play his contract out and if he needs to get an insurance policy against a career ender, so be it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm still learning - the players can get insurance against a career ending injury? Do most of them? I'd never heard of that.
Thanks in advance.
Sure, no different then actors or dancers insuring their body parts against damage affecting their careers.

Last edited:
nhpatsfan said:
I have no idea how often it's done but they certainly can. It makes a lot of sense in a case like this where Branch hasn't made enough to live on but is a year away from that whether as a UFA or Franchised player.

If he does get a major injury, he has the insurance to fall back on. If he doesn't, the premium on the policy would be a pittance compared to the $7M or so he'll have in the bank in 6 months.

Pro Football Talk has a opinion that Dion Branch should see and ponder.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

"CHAYUT PULLING A POSTON?

In his ongoing quest to get the New England Patriots to overlook the fact that receiver Deion Branch is under contract for the 2006 season, agent Jason Chayut could be treading dangerously close to the edge of a potentially steep cliff.

Chayut insists that it wasn't proper for the Pats to present Branch with a five-year contract as a second-round rookie in 2002. Ignoring the fact that his own firm later allowed a second-round pick to sign a five-year contract in 2003, 2004, and 2005, Chayut has claimed that Branch was "exploited" by the team.

More specifically, Chayut claims that there was an agreement in principle on a four-year deal, and that the team reneged. Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe (who unlike his colleague Ron Borges isn't in the tank for Branch and Chayut) points out that Chayut didn't file a grievance after the Pats supposedly breached the agreement by yanking the deal.

Our guess? There never was a deal in principle, and Chayut is throwing mud now in order to justify his position that Branch should be an unrestricted free agent. But if the NFLPA considers these facts through in conjunction with the regulations regarding agents, the union might conclude that Chayut's failure to take action after the Pats failed to honor the agreement in principle could be something for which Chayut should be disciplined.

Indeed, it was Carl Poston's ridiculous suggestion that the Redskins had yanked a second $6.5 million roster bonus from the final draft of LaVar Arrington's December 2003 contract extension that resulted in Poston's bookended two-year suspensions. In order to make the argument fly that the 'Skins had screwed Arrington, Poston had to admit that he didn't read the final draft of the contract.

Chayut faces a similar problem. In arguing now that the Pats engaged in bad-faith conduct four-plus years ago, Chayut implicitly concedes that he did nothing at all about it.

Oops.

Meanwhile, the more we learn about the offer Chayut spurned, the more confused we are by Chayut's decision not to have Branch sign it. The extension pays $6.25 million per year on the three new seasons, and $8 million in guaranteed money. Plus, Branch would be on the open market come 2010, unlike Reggie Wayne, who is tied up until March 2012. And he'd get paid without having to complete the 2006 season free from serious injury."

He also posted in an earlier comment:

"As agent Jason Chayut continues to chatter to the press regarding the specifics of the offer made by the New England Patriots to receiver Deion Branch, Chayut is providing more insight into the terms of the offer that the Patriots have made.

And, in our view, it's making Branch's decision to hold out seem even more curious.

The offer, as Chayut tells Tom Curran of the Providence Journal, would pay Branch $18 million in new money on a three-year extension.

That's an average, as to the three new years, of $6 million annually. And it puts Branch on the open market after the 2009 season, when either the salary cap will bust through $150 million -- or when due to the potential for a scuttling of the CBA there will be no salary cap.

While Colts' receiver Reggie Wayne signed a six-year deal worth $40 million, Wayne is tied up through 2011. Branch will either get another extension at least two years before that, or he'll sign a new deal elsewhere.

Still, Chayut's primary complaint is that, when viewed as a three-year deal, the offer does nothing to improve the $1 million salary that Branch will earn in the final year of his rookie deal. But Wayne played out his five-year rookie deal before getting his new contract, making $1.7 million in 2005 -- and assuming the risk of an injury that would keep him from getting paid handsomely.

In Branch's case, he's potentially getting a new three-year deal right now. So if he tears an ACL in October, he still has his money. Without a new deal, a torn ACL likely results in a one-year "prove you're healthy" contract in 2007."

I see similiarities between Chayut, Poston, Rosenhaus, and Condon. They don't care what their client wants, or what is in the best interest of their client.

They are only looking out for themselves, and don't care about where their client goes to play, or if their client holds out, which is very risky for one's health and stats. How many hold-outs have been injuried, or sucked, after missing camp and being thrown straight to the wolves of the NFL regular season. But that doesn't matter a bit to these agents as long as the money is already in the bank.

They don't care about the team, or trying to be reasonable, or compromising.

I see them as one step above trial lawyers who sue people/corporations for stupid reasons just to make money.

Maybe half a step.

I finally have come to terms with the fact that Deion will not be a significant part of the team this year, or ever. It's over. That's all, folks.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the most recent news on the contract neg with Branch/Pats. I'm surprised that Branch is going along with this cr*p, I thought he was smarter than this. Oh well, as others have said, it was fun watching you Dion, glad you got such a fast track start to your NFL career, but if you can't see that you're also hurting your teammates by this hold-out, well, don't let the door hurt your skinny little as*!!!

When I first read the article, I thought that a little more upfront money would solve this thing and he would be a Patriot frothe next four years.

However, I think that his agent has him so convinced that he will get mega dollars after this season as a FA, that even more upfront money won't solve this now.

I think that the Patriots offer to him is fair. The Patriots should never agree to not using the franchise tag on him.

Riess mentioned that the Seahawks agreed to not franchise Alexander last year and that ended his holdout. That is fine for the Seahawks but I don't think it would be smart business on the part of the Patriots.

That is a lot of money that his agent is turning his nose up at.

PATSNUTme said:
I think that the Patriots offer to him is fair. The Patriots should never agree to not using the franchise tag on him.

Riess mentioned that the Seahawks agreed to not franchise Alexander last year and that ended his holdout. That is fine for the Seahawks but I don't think it would be smart business on the part of the Patriots.

That is a lot of money that his agent is turning his nose up at.

Alexander was already franchised when he agreed to come end his holdout provided they would agree not to franchise him again in 2006. And he then played the season under the tag and re-signed with Seattle just days before FA was scheduled to commence this season. Besides which he was fully established as one of the elite RB in the league already and had proven to be both consistent, durable and prolific. And he had apparently honored his rookie contract to it's limit.

So any comparison between Deion and Shaun (or the Patriots situation vs. Seattle's) is apples and oranges.

The longer this subject goes on it seems to get even stranger. Why wouldn't Chayut offer a counter? The only reason I can fathom (and one thats been pointed out before in other places) is a decision has been made that Branch definitely wants to get to FA, and is trying to leverage that situation by the "will report if no franchise tag is placed" stance. Or his agent feels that the talk of a "Reggie Wayne type deal" IS the counter offer.

I would wager it's a staring match and someone is waiting for the other to blink first. Personally I think it will be Branch/Chayut that does with a scaled down offer.

I still believe it will get done before September, and it likely will be a restructure for four years at around 22-23 mil, with a 5 mil signing and a 4 mil option bonus in '07. The remaining money spread with the heavier load in the final 2 years. That enhances the deal a couple few mil and gives Branch some decent walking around money. Not sure what the cap hit would be next year though if he was to flake and we cut him before the option came due.:confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey