PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Washington and Samuel updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/asante_no_surpr.html

Asante: No surprises
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 22, 2008 09:41 AM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Alonzo Shavers, the agent for CB Asante Samuel, said this morning that he doesn't expect any last-minute negotiations with the Patriots that could result in a contract extension.

So that all but assures that Samuel, as expected, will hit the open market when free agency begins Feb. 29.

"Right now, we have our target and we're waiting on the 29th to kick in," Shavers said.

Shavers added that he's leaving all options open, meaning that if Samuel does not receive an offer close to what he's seeking on the open market, he could potentially return to New England.

Shavers talked about how Samuel is approaching this period.

"It's very exciting, when you're one of the top guys in the market and you work a lifetime to be in this situation," he said.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/k_washington_up_1.html

K. Washington update
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 22, 2008 10:59 AM

INDIANAPOLIS -- Chad Speck, the agent for WR Kelley Washington, said he plans to meet with Patriots Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli here at the combine. Washington would like to return to New England, and the Patriots are interested in retaining him. But the Patriots are not planning to pay Washington's $4 million option bonus, so if he returns, it would have to be as part of a new deal.

yes....I think the FO is looking past AS...sure there is an offer in, but he's going for the green...see ya!! I think Law will sign here and who knows who else...

I hope a deal with Washington works out...
Asante, yep no surprise.

Not a big deal with Asante.

Washington i would like to see retained.

Asante...i am glad you played for the pats and your going to get a very big pay day from some team other than the pats..i still am really gunna like him no matter who he plays for

Asante might price himself out of a winning future.

Yes, I know there are teams with a lot of cap money, but few of them are any good.

If the Patriots move quickly on a few players in the next few weeks, there will be no room for Asante even if his market value dips.

At that point, the bidding war for him will be tepid as management colludes (come on, we know they do) and passes info around on his highest offer.

He will DEFINITELY get his money, but it will come from a crappy team. AND, the money he will get will not be so much higher than what the Patriots were willing to pay him. Champ Bailey will receive a reality check when he sees Asante sign for $7.5 million max.

Don't close that door quite yet...I think it is pretty clear he will see what offers are out there and then give the Pats a chance to match (or come close).

I think the "last look" MO will apply here and we may be willing to come close to what we see.

Then again, I am sure there is an idiot team out there that will overpay for Assante and that will be that......unless, when it all comes to actually leaving, maybe, just maybe he will not be able to pull that trigger (grasping for straws here).

I'd love to have him back - but I not at cap killing price.

With Assante though, I thank him for the years here and he did it the right way - with class all the way.

AS will be a Jet, and a pest for years to come. With Revis and Rhodes, they may have the best secondary in the NFL.

Edit: As long as they have David Barrett they won't.

AS will be a Jet, and a pest for years to come. With Revis and Rhodes, they may have the best secondary in the NFL.

I don't think so.
They play a 3-4 without a true NT, true ILB's, and any pass rush

There are 31 other teams out there. What makes you certain that he will go to the Jets?

I don't think Asante is going to get as big a payday as everyone thinks. I say it's about 35/65 he returns to the Pats, so there still is a decent chance. I understand good CB's are hard to find in this league, but even if you have one, does it really do you any good use? With the rule changes, the cornerback position value has diminished in recent years. CB's can't be as physical with wideouts like they could in the past. It's an offense oriented league now, the corner back is at a disadvantage at the line of scrimmage--you see qbs putting up monster numbers in part due to the rule changes. It would be very risky to spend 50-80 mil on a talented corner who can't put his hands on a receiver at all during a play.

Last edited:
Don't close that door quite yet...I think it is pretty clear he will see what offers are out there and then give the Pats a chance to match (or come close).

I think the "last look" MO will apply here and we may be willing to come close to what we see.

Then again, I am sure there is an idiot team out there that will overpay for Assante and that will be that......unless, when it all comes to actually leaving, maybe, just maybe he will not be able to pull that trigger (grasping for straws here).

I'd love to have him back - but I not at cap killing price.

With Assante though, I thank him for the years here and he did it the right way - with class all the way.

You know, you are right. You can't blame a guy for wanting money....but he kept his mouth shut let us use the options we have and always played hard now it is time for him to cash in.

There are 31 other teams out there. What makes you certain that he will go to the Jets?

1. Mangini was the secondary coach during the time when Asante blossomed as a player.
2. Jets have a ton of $
3. It dramatically upgrades their team while at the same time weakens their biggest rival.

No way to know where he goes (Atlanta is a another good guess), but he will have a clear choice: Play for big bucks, or play for a Championship. We will see what Asante is about.

By next sunday , like it or not, Samual will be a Jet... Lets just hope Moss wont be a jag ,dolphin, eagle or packer in 2 weeks..

Samuel will go to the Jets and then will suffer a season ending injury when Maroney runs him over ... that's what the tea leafs say.

Telling you right now, whereever Asante goes, after he deposits that fat signing bonus, let's just the say the ole "Motivation" METER will drop about 20 degrees. Let someone else overpay for him, we just draft one of those top 4 stud corners coming out and be the same secondary at 1/10th of the price.

I'd like to see Washington back. Anytime a WR who could start somewhere else is willing to go all out on ST without complaint, that's a good player to have on your team.

Telling you right now, whereever Asante goes, after he deposits that fat signing bonus, let's just the say the ole "Motivation" METER will drop about 20 degrees. Let someone else overpay for him, we just draft one of those top 4 stud corners coming out and be the same secondary at 1/10th of the price.

That's my instinct on Asante, as well. While the whole "Contract Year Performance" has become a bit of a cliche, I still think there are certain types of people who simply will not give the same amount of effort once they hit their big pay day.

And I guy who a tattoo reading "Get Paid" might, maybe, kinda be one of those types of guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes