PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Warren skipping offseason program to finish degree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in. GREATEST SEASON OF OUR LIVES!

Money always changes everything.

Remember when players were making in the 100's of thousands at the most per year. Plenty of them went back to finish off degree requirements every year and not a peep out of anybody about it.

Today it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Money

Warren's leadership is not a question, concern, nor problem. Ty Warren is good for the New England Patriots. You have unreal expectations out of these guys as if they are supposed to be perfection or robots to appease your fan view of what they should be doing. Leadership was a problem because in one fell swoop Rodney, Bruschi and Vrabel (and Seymour?) were gone. The goal is not to replicate, or imitate those guys, but to find their own identity as a team unit. Each guy will lead in their own way, and to expect the personalities of Rodney or Bruschi out of everyone is unfair IMO. Guys like Wilfork have even said that it wasn't about outspoken guys keeping the locker room in check, it was about everyone doing their part, and leading by example etc...

Warren's pursuit of his degree is NOT a detriment to that lead by example. He will be back working as hard as anyone and the young kids will see that.

MO, relax, it's going to be OK :p

I guess I missed him stepping up as a leader last season when they were searching for one on defense... They voted a second year LB as team captain on defense...that speaks volumes...

Look, I know that Ty and Vince are both great guys who don't cause trouble and take care of their own business on and off the field. Trouble is, that's not enough in this system. You need core leaders to police the locker room or you end up in situations like last season with guys mouthing off and slacking off and unfocused and then you go home and watch the playoffs. Belichick has always relied on his core leaders to sell the system. Absent that leadership it doesn't work because Bill isn't like Tuna and inclined to goad, cajole or shame guys into stepping up. He counts on his core players to do that so he can focus his attention on things only he can do.

Ty has two rings that give him the cache to be a leader. Other than that they're just jewelry. Maybe he's not comfortable being vocal or getting in a guys grill. Fine. At least lead by example. Now armed with his first big deal, Vince says he can be that kind of guy. And talked about how it all starts in the off season program. Would have been nice of Ty to back his play.

Money always changes everything.

Remember when players were making in the 100's of thousands at the most per year. Plenty of them went back to finish off degree requirements every year and not a peep out of anybody about it.

Today it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Money

LOL Back in the day when they were making in the 100's of thousands at the most per year, there wasn't any organized off season training program. Guys got in shape in camp. They had time to persue their degree in the off season as well as greater need to. They just couldn't afford to since many had to work a regular job in the offseason to make ends meet. They didn't give out guaranteed money and big signing bonuses back in those days either. They basically paid for performance and there were no excuses and if you pissed them off you were history. That football has tried to retain a little of that charm is what has allowed it to flourish and grow unlike the sports with fully guaranteed contracts.

I guess I missed him stepping up as a leader last season when they were searching for one on defense... They voted a second year LB as team captain on defense...that speaks volumes...

You have a singular definition of leadership that I don't believe actually applies in the real world. We'll just agree to disagree regarding Ty and leadership in general.

if I was warren, I would put myself ahead of the team in this regard......he figures its a matter of time before BB ships him off to the Raiders or the Lions or somewhere bad.......the remaining leaders from 2008 (vrabel and seymour) were sent packing

I mean if the FO can simply cast off vrabel given the then state of the OLB group, as well as shipping seymour off, for all he knows, he could be next.....I mean why not? the stadiums already full for 2010.....

they could fire sale warren,moss,light,springs,sanders,taylor,morris,thomas and it would instanly improve the 2010 bottom line by 40M.......only warren and sanders are <30......make the bet right now that they won't be playing in 2011 and be done with it....they can fill in the spaces by 2012 when moss would be 35,taylor 36,morris 34,light 33,thomas 34......

lets have a party....like its 1999

Last edited:
this story reminded me of david williams =

Williams played offensive tackle for the Oilers from 1989-1995, and then for the New York Jets in 1996 and 1997. David Williams will forever be known for "Babygate.'' In 1993, he was docked a week's pay by the Oilers for attending the birth of his first child. On Oct. 16 of that year, Debi Williams went into labor. Some 17 hours after his son, Scot, was born, the Oilers were scheduled to play New England. Williams planned to make the game, but hit a snag. "The last flight out of Houston was at 6:40 or 6:50 p.m. and I was at least a half hour from the airport. Obviously, I couldn't make it,'' Williams said. "We tried to figure a way to get there [Boston] and found there was a terrible fog problem. Our team flight had to land in New York and was delayed there two hours before they could even fly to Boston. It was just a bad deal.'' Some of Williams' teammates, along with a travel agent, tried to secure a charter flight. But the fog still was rolling in. The plane would have to land in New York, leaving Williams scrambling to find a way to Foxboro Stadium. "I basically said the hell with it. At that point, I was tired and exhausted,'' Williams said. "We had been up for hours and I did everything I could and I just wasn't going to make it.'' The Oilers docked Williams one week's pay ($111,111). Offensive line coach Bob Young was quoted in Houston newspapers as saying Williams could have made it to the game on time. He said Williams had his priorities mixed up and compared the situation to World War II, when men had to miss the births of their children to fight for their country. Houston owner Bud Adams insisted Williams made the wrong decision. The Oilers' response evoked outrage from women's groups throughout the country. Even Vice President Al Gore supported Williams' decision. Williams said he felt the Oilers handled the situation poorly, but they corrected it when teammate Cris Dishman's child was born a year later. "They had a limousine and Lear jet wait for him, " Williams said. "It was the same circumstance with him as me, but they took care of Cris. They learned their lesson because my situation wasn't the nicest of events for them.''

FanBlog: Texans: A Walk Down Memory Lane...The 1980's

I remember that. I guess it's where a person puts their priorities and more power to them, but if I had been in this guy's shoes I would never forgive myself for missing the birth of my child. JC what red-blooded person would. Even the brave soldiers that miss it because of duty probably feel the same way, but the big difference being...they don't have a choice.

I remember that. I guess it's where a person puts their priorities and more power to them, but if I had been in this guy's shoes I would never forgive myself for missing the birth of my child. JC what red-blooded person would. Even the brave soldiers that miss it because of duty probably feel the same way, but the big difference being...they don't have a choice.

I thought then and still think the Oilers should have docked his pay but been very nice about it. They would still have been worse off than if he'd played, so it's not like that would have been no sacrifice for them.

If you voluntarily miss 1/16th of your work for a year for family reasons, it's nice to get unpaid leave -- but you don't really have a right to demand that the leave be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes