PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Warren skipping offseason program to finish degree

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree, I think his family should be his focus. In which I think his going back to school has more to do with being with his children more than school.

Then maybe he should retire from football and complete his education and find a job where he can stay at home more with his kids... And that is his right if that's what matters to him now. He's certainly already earned enough playing the game that he could easily reorder his priorities. And for the record, these guys are all paid enough to afford homes in NE and many of them do live here year round while their career's warrant it. Or they accept the simple fact that in order to earn millions playing the game they and their families may have to make some sacrifices just like regular folks have to... I recall Pioli saying that his wife Dallas attended 4 different highschools while Tuna was advancing his football career. He and Dallas chose stability for a long time as a result, but eventually they did what was best for him career wise and moved to a place where he could make more money and run his own show. Nobody holds a gun to their heads and says you must be a football player....it's a career choice they all make and committment to and focus on it is part of the trade off for having a shot at making millions...

Yes teambuilding starts here, but Warren's absence will have negligble effect on that.

How is that on a team desperate for leadership?? He is setting the example that it doesn't really matter, just do what you think is best for yourself...and show up when you have to. I don't think you know what a core leader represents. Not that that surprises me.

Then maybe he should retire from football and complete his education and find a job where he can stay at home more with his kids... And that is his right if that's what matters to him now. He's certainly already earned enough playing the game that he could easily reorder his priorities. And for the record, these guys are all paid enough to afford homes in NE and many of them do live here year round while their career's warrant it. Or they accept the simple fact that in order to earn millions playing the game they and their families may have to make some sacrifices just like regular folks have to... I recall Pioli saying that his wife Dallas attended 4 different highschools while Tuna was advancing his football career. He and Dallas chose stability for a long time as a result, but eventually they did what was best for him career wise and moved to a place where he could make more money and run his own show. Nobody holds a gun to their heads and says you must be a football player....it's a career choice they all make and committment to and focus on it is part of the trade off for having a shot at making millions...

Did you complain about Harrison, Brady and many others who have not taken part in the voluntary workouts over the years?

Because his career is football. He may have a second career or not when that one is over, but for the 10 years or so he has a football career it should be his primary focus.

It's as if all the football matters talk Bill and Scott have engaged in over the last decade here has fallen on deaf ears all of a sudden. I recall Pioli in one of his many commentaries to that effect saying that a player who couldn't make it to a workout because he had labs scheduled he had to complete to graduate went right off their board because he didn't grasp the importance of football when it mattered that he did, and if they want to finish a degree they should do that when football no longer matters.

I think you're taking this to the extreme. I think the message in what they're saying is that they want players who care about football.

How is that on a team desperate for leadership?? He is setting the example that it doesn't really matter, just do what you think is best for yourself...and show up when you have to. I don't think you know what a core leader represents. Not that that surprises me.

I think you're taking this to the extreme. I think the message in what they're saying is that they want players who care about football.

I agree. Mo, you are going way overboard and overstating these things IMO. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but the SB champion is (almost) never a team with a perfect group of individuals who care about nothing but football, filled with amazing leaders and of the highest possible human character.

I agree. Mo, you are going way overboard and overstating these things IMO. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but the SB champion is (almost) never a team with a perfect group of individuals who care about nothing but football, filled with amazing leaders and of the highest possible human character.

Most painful case in point: Michael Strahan barely participated in ANY preseason activites if I remember correctly... then they won the SB. Didn't seem to hurt that team that season.

Did you complain about Harrison, Brady and many others who have not taken part in the voluntary workouts over the years?

Brady did until after 2007 when Belichick essentially told him and several veterans to take some time away from the game to mentally refresh from the drain of that undefeated season.

And this season is different. The loss of leadership and the challenge to the system they faced in 2009 means they should all be in. I hope Brady realizes that too since he talked at great length about committment to each other down the stretch last season and he knows where that starts. This is different though since Warren is one of the guys who has failed to step up into that leadership void on defense and he's just blythly reported that he won't be attending at all beyond mandatory OTA's because he's busy finishing a degree he could finish in 6 months once his career is over in his early to mid 30's. And it's not like Brady didn't step up big time back when the original Patriots Way foundation was being laid.

Most painful case in point: Michael Strahan barely participated in ANY preseason activites if I remember correctly... then they won the SB. Didn't seem to hurt that team that season.

It did early on. It wasn't pretty and it took him stepping up and making his peace with Coughlin and getting behind Eli for better or worse and someone breaking Shockey's leg and a ****load of luck....

And in the end it didn't accomplish anything longlasting, did it. That's what happens when you skimp on foundations...

So, we could try that approach for a change if it makes the rest of you more comfortable that we aren't asking too much of these players...

Brady did until after 2007 when Belichick essentially told him and several veterans to take some time away from the game to mentally refresh from the drain of that undefeated season.

And this season is different. The loss of leadership and the challenge to the system they faced in 2009 means they should all be in. I hope Brady realizes that too since he talked at great length about committment to each other down the stretch last season and he knows where that starts. This is different though since Warren is one of the guys who has failed to step up into that leadership void on defense and he's just blythly reported that he won't be attending at all beyond mandatory OTA's because he's busy finishing a degree he could finish in 6 months once his career is over in his early to mid 30's. And it's not like Brady didn't step up big time back when the original Patriots Way foundation was being laid.

Warren's leadership is not a question, concern, nor problem. Ty Warren is good for the New England Patriots. You have unreal expectations out of these guys as if they are supposed to be perfection or robots to appease your fan view of what they should be doing. Leadership was a problem because in one fell swoop Rodney, Bruschi and Vrabel (and Seymour?) were gone. The goal is not to replicate, or imitate those guys, but to find their own identity as a team unit. Each guy will lead in their own way, and to expect the personalities of Rodney or Bruschi out of everyone is unfair IMO. Guys like Wilfork have even said that it wasn't about outspoken guys keeping the locker room in check, it was about everyone doing their part, and leading by example etc...

Warren's pursuit of his degree is NOT a detriment to that lead by example. He will be back working as hard as anyone and the young kids will see that.

MO, relax, it's going to be OK :p

It did early on. It wasn't pretty and it took him stepping up and making his peace with Coughlin and getting behind Eli for better or worse and someone breaking Shockey's leg and a ****load of luck....

And in the end it didn't accomplish anything longlasting, did it. That's what happens when you skimp on foundations...

So, we could try that approach for a change if it makes the rest of you more comfortable that we aren't asking too much of these players...

I disagree. There's no further point in arguing. Good day.

the bottom line is that OTA's are voluntary........and I don't believe warren or anyone else has much to gain from his presence at least until the rookies show up.

now brace on the other hand........

now brace on the other hand........

I assume he did not show up?

I like him as a back up..... hopefully he isn't throwing it in b/c Big Vince is locked up.

I would be pissed if that were it.

These jerks (kindly put) are paid at leassst 6 figures and they don't show up to practice or workouts.

They have 1 of the best jobs around..... I absolutely hate it when they half ass/slack or not show up.

Even if it is optional.... make it an obligation to go for the betterment of you and the team.

I assume he did not show up?

I like him as a back up..... hopefully he isn't throwing it in b/c Big Vince is locked up.

I would be pissed if that were it.

if brace does not show up for OTA's, I would not be suprised to see him gone by the beginnning of the season

Wow, I can't believe a guy is getting ripped for getting his degree. What a sad world we live in. *I*, personally, hope more of our players are paying attention to this and it inspires them to get there degrees. There is life after football, and if more guys realized that and prepared for it the better off they would be.

Besides, Brady's not there. Why aren't we questioning his commitment to the team, his leadership, ect? ...wait a second, some people on here are.
Suicide.gif

Wow, I can't believe a guy is getting ripped for getting his degree. What a sad world we live in. *I*, personally, hope more of our players are paying attention to this and it inspires them to get there degrees. There is life after football, and if more guys realized that and prepared for it the better off they would be.

Besides, Brady's not there. Why aren't we questioning his commitment to the team, his leadership, ect? ...wait a second, some people on here are.
Suicide.gif

Good question.

Some people seem to think that the definition of the word 'voluntary' is different when applied to people other than themselves. In their defense, I'm sure that those complaining about Warren (and/or others) are people who work 16-20 hour days, and don't have the time to do something as useless as posting on a message board.

Oh, wait.... never mind.

Lets step back a min.

He isn't doing this because he thinks he will make more MONEY long term. He is pretty clear he is doing this because he want to be a postive role model for his own kids and other kids. He doesn't want to hear from his own kids, "But dad, you never got a degree and you turned out okay." He wants his degree.

As for the wait until he retire/lockout angle. Some of this is speculations, but most colleges give a time limit by which you must gradute or your credits start expiring. I am willing to bet he needs to finish it up now, or he need to start over again.

Its great to see a sports role model realize he is role model and act in such a manner to encourage children to do the right thing.

You're new on this board and apparently think that the comments of posters need to be logical.

was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor?

Hell no!

And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough... the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!

What the eff happened to the PatFans.com I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest season of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Peyton, he's a dead man! Rex Ryan, dead! Parcells...
Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. We're just the guys to do it.

Let's do it.

Greatest movie ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back