PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Warren skipping offseason program to finish degree

Status
Not open for further replies.
he probably has 1 or 2 yrs left..... He took $$$ and went Pro.

that is the norm.

His eligibility expired at Texas A&M. He had no choice. The school was barred from extending his scholarship by rules. That being said, if you only get 3 years of credits, it shouldn't be that hard to make them up in the offseason, and he's had plenty of those. One thing though: the Patriots play late into the season, so there probably hasn't been much time.

Hopefully one of the classes he's taking is a finance class so he can learn the time value of money. Giving up $250K is ludicrous in exchange for getting his degree now. Especially given that it's "Agricultural Leadership". If he's managing a farming collective after his he retires I'll apologize for ever doubting him.

In the moment it looks like a veteran who doesn't seem committed to the offseason...

I applaud Warren's commitment to higher education. However...

-In his current job, his degree will not provide a positive impact on his performance. My assumption is that he will still work out and prepare for the season while taking courses.

-He will be in his early/mid 30's when he retires. He will have plenty of time to complete his degree then.

-Whatever money he received contractually (below market deal, etc.) is irrelevent to his/current situation.

My .02$

Hopefully one of the classes he's taking is a finance class so he can learn the time value of money. Giving up $250K is ludicrous in exchange for getting his degree now. Especially given that it's "Agricultural Leadership"....
You are correct ONLY if money is the most important thing in your life. He's giving up $250,000 to earn a degree that will allow him to work and make maybe $100,000 in 2011 IF there is a lockout.

Money-wise, you are 100% correct. It doesn't make sense when your goal is to collect all the money you can.

But Warren is one of the smart ones, who doe not value money over all else.

For many, money is not the end-all way to keep score, but simply a means to get what you want. He went for an early extension at less money because he wanted to secure his future. Good for him. Now he is going after what he wants - the credits to be able to work with students next year - rather than chasing after every nickle he can get.

I can understand exactly where he is, and I applaud him.

I applaud him 100%.

I just finished reading the comments at ESPN and then the posts in this thread. I have to say, I'm a little perturbed that so many people are upset at what Ty's doing. He wants to spend time with his kids and get more involved in his community. How are those bad things? Additionally, how do they impinge on his job when the workouts are voluntary? He's working out and keeping himself in shape, so I don't see this as a commitment issue at all.

Some have mentioned that the degree itself is a flimsy excuse for an academic pursuit, and he should head in a different direction. I disagree. Agriculture is changing rapidly; people are finally understanding again how to use sustainable practices, and in a place like Texas, with its heat and lack of rain, knowing how to care for the land is incredibly valuable. Besides, this goes far beyond money.

And to all the people who say he could do this in five years: 1) his children will be older then, and he wants to spend time with them and set a proper precedent while they're young. 2) He wants to get involved in his community, which takes time more than anything, and thus he has to begin working on this now, rather than later. 3) What if he has a freak accident and concussions hinder his ability to learn? It's a lot to risk, getting a degree later in life, especially when the average lifespan for a football player is drastically less than the rest of the population (by decades, by the way). To be crass, he's already middle-aged, and time is now working against him.

4) The degree isn't just about the paper, it's also about the knowledge and information he gains from it. Perhaps he really finds agriculture fascinating, like I do, and wants to learn more about it and put that knowledge to use while planning for the future. It's possible he could miss out on opportunities in the next half decade because he lacks information. 5) He mentioned he wants to teach, eventually, which will probably require a master's degree. Why wait five years and then go through two degrees back to back, when you can get a jump on things now?

Ty Warren, I salute you.

Last edited:
I just finished reading the comments at ESPN and then the posts in this thread. I have to say, I'm a little perturbed that so many people are upset at what Ty's doing. He wants to spend time with his kids and get more involved in his community. How are those bad things? Additionally, how do they impinge on his job when the workouts are voluntary? He's working out and keeping himself in shape, so I don't see this as a commitment issue at all.

Some have mentioned that the degree itself is a flimsy excuse for an academic pursuit, and he should head in a different direction. I disagree. Agriculture is changing rapidly; people are finally understanding again how to use sustainable practices, and in a place like Texas, with its heat and lack of rain, knowing how to care for the land is incredibly valuable. Besides, this goes far beyond money.

And to all the people who say he could do this in five years: 1) his children will be older then, and he wants to spend time with them and set a proper precedent while they're young. 2) He wants to get involved in his community, which takes time more than anything, and thus he has to begin working on this now, rather than later. 3) What if he has a freak accident and concussions hinder his ability to learn? It's a lot to risk, getting a degree later in life, especially when the average lifespan for a football player is drastically less than the rest of the population (by decades, by the way). To be crass, he's already middle-aged, and time is now working against him.

4) The degree isn't just about the paper, it's also about the knowledge and information he gains from it. Perhaps he really finds agriculture fascinating, like I do, and wants to learn more about it and put that knowledge to use while planning for the future. It's possible he could miss out on opportunities in the next half decade because he lacks information. 5) He mentioned he wants to teach, eventually, which will probably require a master's degree. Why wait five years and then go through two degrees back to back, when you can get a jump on things now?

Ty Warren, I salute you.

that's ok.....most of the people chiding him will be gone when the team stinks

I just finished reading the comments at ESPN and then the posts in this thread. I have to say, I'm a little perturbed that so many people are upset at what Ty's doing.

Here, at least, the strong majority of people have applauded Warren for doing something smart for his long-term future. Whether the team should reward him for doing something smart for himself is another question.

Ty Warren, I salute you.

Excellent post. I agree. And it's not like Texas A&M is just "any other university" for the degree he wants to pursue--it is only probably the highest-rated, most cutting edge university in the world when it comes to agricultural practices and food production technologies.

Ty Warren, I salute you.

Um...because an orgznization has already invested tens of millions in you as a football player and team leader including pre paying you $14M up front on your 2007 extension that runs from 2009-2013? Ty is carrying the 5th highest cap hit on the team this season. He will be 4th once AD departs. He and Wilfork have pre season work to do in that locker room that goes beyond physical conditioning and showing up in shape. They are the championship battle tested veteran leaders of a young defense in transition. From those to whom much has been given, much is expected...and not just on the field.

Um...because an orgznization has already invested tens of millions in you as a football player and team leader including pre paying you $14M up front on your 2007 extension that runs from 2009-2013? Ty is carrying the 5th highest cap hit on the team this season. He will be 4th once AD departs. He and Wilfork have pre season work to do in that locker room that goes beyond physical conditioning and showing up in shape. They are the championship battle tested veteran leaders of a young defense in transition. From those to whom much has been given, much is expected...and not just on the field.

There really is no issue here whatsoever. You are way overstating the leadership angle, especially for voluntary workouts. This will have 0 negative impact on the team.

Last edited:
No way. Pioli used to talk about this. It's about what matters, and at this stage in his life that should be football. Particularly coming off a season where leadership and buying all in was challenged, this isn't a smart career move for Warren. The time to finish his degree is after his playing days are over.

SMH at this statement.

Sometimes, being a responsible adult will create some conflict with football objectives. Can't fault him for finishing up his degree, and he's a veteran who knows how to prepare himself for training camp.

It sounds as if this isn't just about the degree, which could have waited until after his career.

It's also about spending a few months more living with his wife and children, instead of being on the other side of the country for work.

Good for him.

And my opinion doesn't change one iota if his reasons include any of:

• Gee, it's nice to spend more time in the marital bed as well
  • His wife nagged him to spend more time at home
  • He was a bit dinged up after the season and wants to take it a bit easier

Must be another one of those malcontents....

No way. Pioli used to talk about this. It's about what matters, and at this stage in his life that should be football. Particularly coming off a season where leadership and buying all in was challenged, this isn't a smart career move for Warren. The time to finish his degree is after his playing days are over.

How is it not a smart career move?

How is it not a smart career move?

Because his career is football. He may have a second career or not when that one is over, but for the 10 years or so he has a football career it should be his primary focus.

It's as if all the football matters talk Bill and Scott have engaged in over the last decade here has fallen on deaf ears all of a sudden. I recall Pioli in one of his many commentaries to that effect saying that a player who couldn't make it to a workout because he had labs scheduled he had to complete to graduate went right off their board because he didn't grasp the importance of football when it mattered that he did, and if they want to finish a degree they should do that when football no longer matters.

Because his career is football. He may have a second career or not when that one is over, but for the 10 years or so he has a football career it should be his primary focus.

I disagree, I think his family should be his focus. In which I think his going back to school has more to do with being with his children more than school.

It's as if all the football matters talk Bill and Scott have engaged in over the last decade here has fallen on deaf ears all of a sudden. I recall Pioli in one of his many commentaries to that effect saying that a player who couldn't make it to a workout because he had labs scheduled he had to complete to graduate went right off their board because he didn't grasp the importance of football when it mattered that he did, and if they want to finish a degree they should do that when football no longer matters.

I guess football doesn't matter to Brady either. You are taking Bill's and Scott's words and exaggerating them immensely as of late.

There really is no issue here whatsoever. You are way overstating the leadership angle, especially for voluntary workouts. This will have 0 negative impact on the team.

Belichick would and has told you differently. This is when teambuilding begins and team identities are forged and players commit to each other and the organization and youngsters and new additions learn what the patriot way is all about. Unless of course there isn't really a core committed to showing them what that entails in which case you end up with the 2009 season redux and the coaches and coordinators get lambasted for not doing enough with the talent assembled or not assembling enough talent...

Belichick would and has told you differently. This is when teambuilding begins and team identities are forged and players commit to each other and the organization and youngsters and new additions learn what the patriot way is all about. Unless of course there isn't really a core committed to showing them what that entails in which case you end up with the 2009 season redux and the coaches and coordinators get lambasted for not doing enough with the talent assembled or not assembling enough talent...

Yes teambuilding starts here, but Warren's absence will have negligble effect on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes