PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss updates Townsend news

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Townsend in town
The Patriots are hosting free-agent cornerback Deshea Townsend at Gillette Stadium today. Townsend (5-10, 190) is an eight-year veteran. He is also considering re-signing with the Steelers.

"He's having a wonderful visit and it's coming down to the wire," said Peter Schaffer, Townsend's agent. "We're moving pretty quick."

Townsend's visit comes on the same day the Patriots announced the release of veteran cornerback Tyrone Poole. Townsend has spent his entire career with the Steelers after being selected in the fourth round of the 1998 draft.

R_T26 said:
"He's having a wonderful visit and it's coming down to the wire," said Peter Schaffer, Townsend's agent. "We're moving pretty quick."
Wow, hold your breath, we might actually sign a free agent :eek:

BelichickFan said:
Wow, hold your breath, we might actually sign a free agent :eek:

This would finally be some good news. Townsend would be a solid starter.

Woooo Hoooooo........ maybe! :rocker:

Ive never been a big Townsend fan, but Pittsburgh has never done a great job with corners. He may be a much better player in a BB defense that coaches up corners than a Cowher defense that seems to coach up front 7 guys and not do so well with corners.

AndyJohnson said:
Ive never been a big Townsend fan, but Pittsburgh has never done a great job with corners. He may be a much better player in a BB defense that coaches up corners than a Cowher defense that seems to coach up front 7 guys and not do so well with corners.

Very good point.

Although the Rooney's never seem to pay an incredible amount of attention to their defensive backfield.

pats1 said:
Although the Rooney's never seem to pay an incredible amount of attention to their defensive backfield.

It just seems like they have had a lot of 'failed' high round draft pick corners.

If you go back 10 years I bet you find a bunch of high pick Pitt conrers than underachieved.

Chad Scott, Deon Figures come immediately to mind. Wasnt Poteat a day 1 pick also?

Felger was talking about him today. Said he's a second tier guy but at least played in a very physical system. Also could do some edge blitzing. I think we saw at the end of the season that we don't need the superstar shutdown corner, but we do need technically and physically sound, competent, physical corners. This defense revolves around exceptional linebacker and safety play.

bargain shopping in Pittsburgh...an Piolichick tradition...

AndyJohnson said:
It just seems like they have had a lot of 'failed' high round draft pick corners.

If you go back 10 years I bet you find a bunch of high pick Pitt conrers than underachieved.

Chad Scott, Deon Figures come immediately to mind. Wasnt Poteat a day 1 pick also?

Indeed. 3rd round in 2000, 77th overall.

I'm all for it, bring him in. EXCELLENT depth signing.

THey did have a backfield with Rod Woodson and Carnel Lake who both left for big free agent money.

1st DS signing of what I hope will be a little grocery shoping by Bill. If he signs 2 and maybe drafts 2 that would be nice...we'll see.

This guy is fast but not really good at making up distance. Belichick probably likes him because his technique is supposed to be excellant, good at the press and jam, and he is good at rerouting receivers. (I got that at ESPN Insider)

He doesn't make many mistakes and is good at most everything. So what we have here is a guy that can start but will really help you in shutting down the #3 and #4 receivers or double coverage of course.

The Steelers reworked several contracts today to free up some $$$ and have a right to match any offer. So we will have to overpay to get Townsend...that does not seem to promising unless Belichick is going to offer them a cookie.

I think that DeShea Townsend would be a good addition.

Last edited:
He sucks.....we need Earthwind back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back