Reiss: Thomas and Mills longsnapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

njpatsfan

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Little tidbit in Reiss's Sunday practice report:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

* Tight ends David Thomas and Garrett Mills worked on long snapping in a punt drill. Thomas seemed a bit more polished with the skill. Mills had a nice catch across the middle in passing drills later in the practice, as the ball arrived as he cut.

Lonnie might get a run for his money this year.

R

njpatsfan said:
Little tidbit in Reiss's Sunday practice report:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Lonnie might get a run for his money this year.

R

Finally! Some evidence that Paxton is vulnerable. Don't get me wrong... I like Paxton and he is a great long snapper. I just don't like tying up a roster spot for someone who can only long snap.

Many here think that Lonnie is untouchable. I disagree. Hopefully, BB makes the right choice ... whatever that may be, but I think it is good that he is at least creating some competition at this spot and looking at some mult-purpose longsnappers.

I once asked Paxton if he felt like he should try to find other ways to chip in other than just long snap or if that was enough. He emphatically said NO, that long snapping is enough. I didn't like that answer.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
Finally! Some evidence that Paxton is vulnerable. Don't get me wrong... I like Paxton and he is a great long snapper. I just don't like tying up a roster spot for someone who can only long snap.

Many here think that Lonnie is untouchable. I disagree. Hopefully, BB makes the right choice ... whatever that may be, but I think it is good that he is at least creating some competition at this spot and looking at some mult-purpose longsnappers.

I once asked Paxton if he felt like he should try to find other ways to chip in other than just long snap or if that was enough. He emphatically said NO, that long snapping is enough. I didn't like that answer.
I'm not necessarily convinced this will put Paxton's job in danger; I think it's more like an insurance policy in case we have another punter-unconscious-in-the-locker-room-type incident in the future. :)

Last edited:
ctpatsfan77 said:
I'm not necessarily convinced this will put Paxton's job in danger; I think it's more like an insurance policy in case we have another punter-unconscious-in-the-locker-room-type incident in the future. :)
It doesn't necessarily mean that Paxton will lose his job. But what if Mills or Thomas snap as good as Paxton? What do you think would happen in that case? You still don't think Paxton's job will be in danger.

Competition putting Paxton's job in danger is perhaps strong, or perhaps not. BB likes competition. Generally after a competition, the position goes the best man.

It is one thing to say that Paxton is likely to be the best long snapper after the competition. I agree with this. Likely.

It is quite something else to say that Paxton's job is secure, no matter what. This I wholeheartedly disagree with. Cometition will determine who is the long snapper.

Personally I don't think this is Paxton's job on the line but more of a check the box value add for the rookies. Wasn't it 2 yrs ago that the Pats went through 3 long snappers in the last 4-5 weeks of the season? This is BB finding out what the kids can do, knowing that if Paxton goes down he has two more that can step in and adds one more reason to keep these kids on the roster. Versatility is the key and this adds more versatility to their resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back