PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Ten predictions for the 2010 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss:Ten predictions for the 2010 season

I think Welker will still lead the team in Rec. it would be in the hundreds but if they spread the ball like he predicts then 70 will still lead the team

1: We'll see. I think 11.

2: I disagree with this completely. He will have less receptions than usual because of his injury and Brady spreading the ball around, but he'll still lead it.

3: No argument from me.

4: I agree, but I don't see a long-term deal coming up.

5: I don't know about this. 10 is a lot of TD receptions.

6: Agreed.

7: I don't know.

8: Unfortunately, I agree. It won't be that bad, though.

9: I agree.

10: I can see this happening, but I think Maroney will be.

I disagree with Reiss' prediction about Mankins - or at least the logic behind his prediction. Reiss feels Mankins will play this season so that can have another accrued NFL season. The purpose of having an accrued season is so you can become an unrestricted free agent. But Mankins already has five years in the NFL. The only reason was not an unrestricted free agent this year was because of the one time rules for an uncapped year in 2010.

If no CBA is agreed upon, the rules for the amount of service time in an uncapped 2011 go back, and he would be an unrestricted free agent. And if the union and the NFL agree upon a new CBA, I find it hard to believe the NFLPA would agree to players having to have sis accrued seasons before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

If Mankins does play this season it won't be because he is looking for a sixth year of accrued service.

If no CBA is agreed upon, the rules for the amount of service time in an uncapped 2011 go back, and he would be an unrestricted free agent. And if the union and the NFL agree upon a new CBA, I find it hard to believe the NFLPA would agree to players having to have sis accrued seasons before becoming an unrestricted free agent.

How do we know that for certain? [I'm not saying you're wrong, merely that it's not a given.]

And remember that a new CBA might or might not have a clause punishing holdouts (remember that the NFLPA was willing to throw this year's RFAs under the bus if it meant getting a new CBA).

Also, I agree with Reiss that Welker will have less receptions than last year, and that the Pats will spread the ball around more - that certainly makes sense with the players they have on offense now, as opposed to Joey Galloway and Sam Aiken. But I don't follow how that will result in somebody else leading the team in receptions. If that is the case, who will that other player be?

I'd love to see Gronkowski have ten touchdown receptions this year, but that number seems to be a bit high. Even players like Andre Johnson, DeSean Jackson, and Marques Colston didn't have that many.

I'm a Fred Taylor fan, but I don't think he'll lead the team in rushing. If he's getting that many carries I don't think he'll be all that effective down the stretch.

How do we know that for certain? [I'm not saying you're wrong, merely that it's not a given.]

And remember that a new CBA might or might not have a clause punishing holdouts (remember that the NFLPA was willing to throw this year's RFAs under the bus if it meant getting a new CBA).
That's true, we don't know that for certain; it's not a given.

I'm speculating, but I find it hard to believe the NFLPA would agree to having to wait not just one, but two years longer to become an unrestricted free agent than they did under the old CBA (four years.)

As for the other point, there are two things that come to mind. A player like Revis that did not report although he was under contract was in a totally different situation than Mankins. Revis was under contract; Mankins is not. Don't see how you can punish a free agent that is not under contract.

Secondly, Mankins is not doing anything wrong or in violation of any rules right now. I don't see how you can make a new rule, make it retro-active, and punish somebody for it. It would be like a policeman clocking me for driving 45 in a 50 MPH zone a month ago, then when the town changes the speed limit to 40 three weeks later they mail me a speeding ticket for having driven 45 in a 40 MPH zone.

We'll make it to the playoffs.
I think the offense will avg. at least 4+ TD's per game but we'll lose some close ones.
Our defense will get better as the season progresses-in fact, I think the first 5-6 games may look rough on D compared to the series of games going into the playoffs. There will be a big contrast but the defense needs real reps out there.

"Practice execution equals reality":cool:

-BB

YouTube - Peter Tosh - I Am That I Am

Last edited:

i think our offense will be good but depends really on the offensive line who iam cautious about even with mankins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes