PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss takes a look at special teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/08/eyeing_special.html

Eyeing special teams clues
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff August 24, 2008 06:50 PM
Special teams can sometimes provide a tip as to which players will earn a spot on the final 53-man roster.

With that in mind, here were a few nuggets that caught the eye on special teams Friday night against the Eagles:

Fourth-year linebacker Eric Alexander seems to have a firm grip on his spot as a "core" special teams player. He was on the first-string punt coverage, kickoff coverage, punt return and kickoff return units.

Others playing a "core" role by lining up with the first-string on all four punt/kickoff units: running back Heath Evans, linebacker Larry Izzo, receiver/safety Matthew Slater, receiver Kelley Washington.

On the flip side, veteran Victor Hobson was not on any of the first-unit special teams groups, which -- in addition to him playing sparingly on defense -- could be an indication he is in jeopardy of not making the roster.

I haven't given much attention to Hobson. But if this is true, his chances of making the team don't look good.

Well, I would think that Hobson would get the courtesy of being a 'first' cut, so if he's definitely going to get axed, I'd expect to find out in the next day or two.

I think Wilhite makes the roster but is on the inactive list most weeks.

Well, I would think that Hobson would get the courtesy of being a 'first' cut, so if he's definitely going to get axed, I'd expect to find out in the next day or two.

Good point.

Seems like coach Billy learned from the Monty Beisal waste of time.

With the way the special teams have performed, I don't know if

being part of those units is a good thing or not.

With the way the special teams have performed, I don't know if

being part of those units is a good thing or not.

To be on all 4 ST starting units has to be an excellent sign as to whether a player sticks or not. That is a good sign for Slater (forgetting how each unit performed on Friday of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes