PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss' take on FA LBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you really a GAL?

And how do you know so much about football?

I don't know whether to weep at this post, or use it as my new sig....

1) Perhaps Harris is too smart for his own good? He did play at Northwestern, after all. He also has the measurables, however.

2) I'll pass on Kawika Mitchell, thank you. How many guys from a lousy KC defense (Beisel, Warfield) do we have to see in TC? I remember the game at KC in 2004; it was Meion's return from injury, and Mitchell couldn't tackle anyone in the open field. No thanks
2004 was a couple years ago, perhaps Mitchell has progressed since then? Still though, you have a point on not wanting players from Kansas City's "defense." As for Harris, I did not think about the Northwestern angle. Belichick does like smart linebackers, and maybe he can light a fire under this guy? Either way, I'd really like to see one of these guys brought in if the front office thinks they are worth anything. Both are relatively young, but still have enough experience that they would hopefully be able to step in and play after getting the defense down in training camp.

I'll take that as a yes and yes.

Dont start crying whatever you do. It was a compliment.

Last edited:
Again,Reiss proving why he's the best Patriots writer in the business. For such a short article he get's an A+ for being accurate andstraight to the point.

1) Still though, you have a point on not wanting players from Kansas City's "defense."
2) As for Harris, I did not think about the Northwestern angle. Belichick does like smart linebackers, and maybe he can light a fire under this guy? .

1) The only player I ever wanted from KC's defense was Scott Fujita, a smart, tall OLB who can cover TEs. A perfect 3-4 OLB. The FO should have signed him as a FA, after Willie signed with Romeo. The price would have been high, but he would have been worth it.

2) If Harris becomes a FA, I definitely would give him a ringy-dingy, and set up an interview. Then a more fair assesment of his attitude, his aptitude for the 3-4, and the importance of football to him, can be made.

1) The only player I ever wanted from KC's defense was Scott Fujita

Derrick Johnson could play ILB for us. He has the perfect blend of size and speed.

1) The only player I ever wanted from KC's defense was Scott Fujita, a smart, tall OLB who can cover TEs. A perfect 3-4 OLB. The FO should have signed him as a FA, after Willie signed with Romeo. The price would have been high, but he would have been worth it.

2) If Harris becomes a FA, I definitely would give him a ringy-dingy, and set up an interview. Then a more fair assesment of his attitude, his aptitude for the 3-4, and the importance of football to him, can be made.

I liked Fujita as well, he also can play inside in an emergency.

Reiss kind of ruined it for me, my two sleepers were Napolean Harris (YOB 1979) and Antwan Peek (YOB 1979). Now that he has called them sleepers they are no longer sleepers...

They are not the sexiest names out there but I liked their age (both turn 27 this year), cost, athetism and potential. If we sign these two and draft a Day 1 LB and a Day 2 LB we would increase speed across the unit and significantly decrease the age of the unit. The mix of youth and veterans would allow for some continuity as the unit transitions over the next 2-3 years.

Over 30 Vets - Colvin, Vrabel, Bruschi
Experienced younger vets (25-30) - Harris, Peek
Younger Guys (22-26) - Alexander, Mays, Woods, Day 1 Draft, Day 2 Draft

Last edited:
Reiss has seemingly removed Napoleon Harris from his list...?

I have no idea who the Pats have targeted for linebackers in free

agency. I am of the opinion that with so much salary cap money out

there, the Pats will have to act quickly to get who they want. In 2003

when they had a very good year in free agency (Colvin, Harrison, Poole),

these players were signed on March 11th and 12th.

Excellent point. It did seem that the FO sometimes waited too long to make moves last year.

I was never high on Harris personally something strikes me as a lazy player. I honestly cant prove that but i have never liked him even when he was in Oakland.

Kawika on the other hand has all the making to be a great LB for us. Hes young smart talented and has 4 years experience in a 3-4 system at ILB. Played well for the most part the last two seasons but has been called serviceable by his KC fans. KC fans wont miss him but i dont know what they expect from him. He plays next to Thomas so i guess they compare the two constantly.

When did KC go to a 3-4 system? As far as I know, KC has always been a 4-3 system. Not the type of system the Pats run.

I was wondering how you'd react. At least he (he?) spotted that you're one of the board's most knowledgeable posters.

Triumph -- try her on baby names! :D

Good points. I am concerned about the Patriots' ability to make an impact in the free agent market this year. Obviously, 30 million is a lot of cap space, but there are many other teams out there that have about the same amount of space, or maybe even a little more.

So it seems to me that there is a definite possiblity of insane bidding wars for guys like Adalius Thomas, Lance Briggs (if the Bears don't franchise him), and our own Asante Samuel (again, if not franchised). I have no doubt that the front office would shy away from a bidding war over any player (and rightfully so), no matter how much they wanted them.

We may very well see them sign mid-level guys again, which would be dissapointing given all the cap space, but perhaps it is the smart way to go. I could be happy with that strategy, as long as they weren't Biesel or Starks type duds.

Triumph -- try her on baby names! :D

Oh man, you've got me pegged!

(I've been so tempted to post about the names of the top OTs in this year's draft...I mean, Joe Staley, Levi Brown, Mike Otto! Those are linemen names out of central casting.)

(I've been so tempted to post about the names of the top OTs in this year's draft...I mean, Joe Staley, Levi Brown, Mike Otto! Those are linemen names out of central casting.)

Let me encourage you. After all, it's going to be a LONG off-season ...

I would hope for middle-class pickups once again. I think if you see a move early for A. Thomas, that means that he and BB really did click, on something other than a chuckle-on-the-sidelines level. That would make him the big star they go for this off-season. I don't know if the offers for Drew Bennet are going to catapult him into the "elite" category, but if not, making a run at him is a good idea. I also think Donnie Edwards will be in Foxboro this year.

In terms of "waiting too long," I don't mind the process that much, as long as they're keeping their hand in, negotiation-wise. I'd rather "go to war" with some slight improvements, than move faster and go on a panic buying spree, overpaying. Excellent point about the March 11/12 pickups, however.

From the list of "wants" here, of course, we can only say with certainty that we'll be disappointed, in the aggregate, regardless of how the Pats go about their business.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back