PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss' Starting Lineup Prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
... Reiss himself doesn't make this clarification but I think it's important to note that this all falls into the category of "if the season started today"...

I haven't thought - and looking at this roster REALLY don't think - that the team is done making moves yet... I expect there will be more pickups of cut players and/or trades

That being said, I can see a few weak links in the chain - though also believe that some of the lesser players can step up and play their roles well.

New England Patriots mailbag: Laying a foundation through the NFL draft - ESPN Boston

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Laurence Maroney
WR: Randy Moss
WR: Brandon Tate/Torry Holt
WR: Julian Edelman
TE: Rob Gronkowski
LT: Matt Light
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Dan Koppen
RG: Stephen Neal
RT: Sebastian Vollmer

LDE: Ty Warren
NT: Vince Wilfork
RDE: Mike Wright/Gerard Warren
OLB: Tully Banta-Cain
OLB: Rob Ninkovich
ILB: Jerod Mayo
ILB: Brandon Spikes
CB: Leigh Bodden
CB: Darius Butler
S: Patrick Chung
S: Brandon Meriweather

On offense, I'd like to see some more depth and competition there. Although we don't know what Tate might do, a competition between he and Hold doesn't fill one with confidence. I am however, confident that Edelman can be a Welker-Lite.

That being said, I'd have to think Hernandez might be added to the mix as an additional TE on the field - which could make things interesting.

Aside from that I'll be rooting for some UDFA RBs but unlike most, I think our RBs are ok seeing as I expect the pass to set up the run and not the other way around.

On Defense I see few areas of concern. I like a lot of what I've seen from Ninkovich - I'm just not sure I've seen enough to write him in as the starting OLB. I like TBC too but when he's your best OLB I think you can upgrade the position.

Mike Wright and Gerard Warren as potential starters at RDE? Again, why doesn't that fill me with confidence?

I actually do agree with Spikes at ILB - I think they got a steal with him. But still, to have him penciled in at this stage indicates that's not a position of strength on the team.

Bodden, Butler, and Chung too - all have some great potential - whether they'll consistently deliver is another question.

I actually wouldn't be all that surprised to see McCourty make a challenge. He has the skills and was a "reach" because of the lack of INTs - but I think Belichick values his ability to hit/tackle - and appreciates his willingness to play a role in a zone, rather than freelance for stats. He could be the anti-Ty Law - but in a good way.

So still room - and still time - for some improved depth and competition by my view.

Last edited:
Hernandez is, in effect, a competitor for one of the WR slots.

Why is G. Warren ranked over D. Lewis?

What possible move could secure an ILB starter better than the guys now on the roster, at least one who would make any sense to acquire given the resources invested in the position?

Agree re McCourty.

Lots of competition for Ninkovich's spot.

I dont think Spikes will be ahead of Guyton day 1. I also dont think we'll be running a 3-4 day 1 either.

Not a lot of change from last year's season ending crew. Hopefully, the coaching will be better and the team execution will be better.

everything looks right except chung...i dont see him as being able to start at beginning of season

sanders is the starter paired with meriweather there

I really am tired of watching Maroney dance.

The kid has talent, but no football insticts.

Please Bill... go get a RB....

I prefer Taylor & Morris to Maroney, but you know both of those guys
will get hurt at some point.

I will be rooting for Pat Pachall in the preseason.

Anybody but Maroney.

Last edited:
I dont think Spikes will be ahead of Guyton day 1. I also dont think we'll be running a 3-4 day 1 either.

Why? and Why? Guyton isnt very good, has trouble against the run and shedding blockers. I think he will be the 3rd ILB this year. Spikes is a great player with outstanding football instincts to make up for his lack of speed. I definitely see him in the middle next to Mayo. And BB would never switch to a 4-3 with this team. What makes you think we're switching to a 4-3, when he passed on Odrick, twice in the draft

2009+NFL+Scouting+Combine+Day+3+DF3TmMROK_el.jpg

That's the wrong Gronkowski. The picture shows Dan who plays for the Lions :D

Offense looks good, defense looks just Ok.

I hear a lot of people talking about the 4-3, just curious who do you think the staring front 7 would be. Either way 4-3, 3-4 will still don't have an outside pass rushers.

I hear a lot of people talking about the 4-3, just curious who do you think the staring front 7 would be. Either way 4-3, 3-4 will still don't have an outside pass rushers.

Crable has a chance to prove himself and earn a starting spot on this team. It will be interesting to see and could really be a bonus if he has a great training camp and pre season and takes it into the regular season. BB has to be confident in his playing abilities or else I think he would have addressed the pass rush in the first round even if it meant trading up

Why? and Why? Guyton isnt very good, has trouble against the run and shedding blockers. I think he will be the 3rd ILB this year. Spikes is a great player with outstanding football instincts to make up for his lack of speed. I definitely see him in the middle next to Mayo. And BB would never switch to a 4-3 with this team. What makes you think we're switching to a 4-3, when he passed on Odrick, twice in the draft

For the same reason you dont see other rookies starting on a BB team. I'm not saying it's not possible, just not likely. Right now, we have no idea what we have with these rookies. At least with Guyton we know he can play.

It's hard to say at this point. I think we are definitely missing an DE in the 4-3, and a DE and OLB for the 3-4. So if i gave you a starting 7 it would be with ? marks. Unless Cunningham steps up, and he was taken with a high pick, then we'll need to look into FA at some point.

For the same reason you dont see other rookies starting on a BB team. I'm not saying it's not possible, just not likely. Right now, we have no idea what we have with these rookies. At least with Guyton we know he can play.

We know what Guyton can do, I wouldnt say he can "play". He really isnt a very good LB. I know that we dont know what these rookies will do and how they will adjust I just feel that Spikes over Guyton is the way to go and if Spikes doesnt work out then we can always move Guyton back to a starting role. I know its sort of a slap in the face to Guyton but when you play for BB its all about putting the best team on the field that given week that gives you the best chance to win.

The problem with switching to a 4-3 as a base is it really means a fundamental shift in how your d-linemen approach their assignments. Wilfork and Warren are built and trained to be 3-4 players. I'm sure we could move them inside to play DT, but it's still not their best consistent position, and then who are our ends? Wright (ok), Warren (who knows), Lewis (again, unknown), we'd have very little talent at 2 line positions instead of just 1 in a 3-4.

As for the linebackers, with Mayo, Guyton, Spikes, and McKenzie, we have the potential for a very good, young, ILB rotation. Moving to a 4-3 would negate that a bit, and still would leave us with a shortage of talented OLBs. I really don't see the advantage of switching to a 4-3 as the base at all with the current group. It's great for some situations in a game, but we're built to be a 3-4 team.

Exactly. Unless you're talking about a top ten pick, you've got to assume the incumbent is the starter on a BB team until the rookie comes in and steals the job. I wouldn't be surprised if Spikes won it, but until we even see him in an OTA, Guyton is the starter.

Also, starter is a somewhat loose term in the NFL... if we're playing the Colts and they come out with three wide plus Dallas Clark, we might see a nickel with Mayo, TBC, and Guyton as the 3 LB's to give us more speed. The "starters" change week to week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots