PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Snaps played by offensive skill set players

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
New England Patriots Blog - Snaps played by offensive skill position players - ESPN Boston

very valid points
This was a game where the Patriots lack of a third receiving threat hurt in three-wide sets. Sam Aiken played 34 snaps, didn't have a catch, and wasn't targeted once. He was often matched against cornerback Champ Bailey. Joey Galloway has been inactive the last two weeks, and based on the results from third receivers in that time, Galloway should have a chance to fill that No. 3 void again, starting Sunday against the Titans. ... Another disappointment for the Patriots was that Randy Moss played 54 snaps and was targeted with just three throws. They'll probably look back and determine they could have worked harder to get him the ball, even while the Broncos were consistently rolling safety help over the top of him. Creative alterations, like motioning him out of the backfield as they did on the opening drive of the second half, could have been used more. ... Laurence Maroney had his playtime dramatically reduced, a reflection of his recent struggles. It seems fair to suggest that the coaching staff doesn't have full confidence in him at this point. Maroney was also taken off kickoff returns. ... BenJarvus Green-Ellis was active to help fill the void by Fred Taylor's injury, but didn't play an offensive snap, only on special teams.

Re: Reiss:snaps played by offensive skill set players

I don't know what the plan with Galloway is. Bench him and hope he gets better?

I actually had the same question about LoMo. 9 snaps? Wow.

On WEEI today BB said that Aiken was the 4th receiver when asked about Galloway being inactive, it seems like he wants some versatility from his 4th receiver such as being able to play on special teams like Aiken can. That is why he has been active over Galloway. I look for this trend to continue...

Aiken is completely useless as a receiver. I can't figure out why Edelman played only 13 snaps, other than the fact that his skill set overlaps so closely with Welker's. Let's hope that either Galloway finally begins to "get it" or that Tate is the real deal. I can't remember the last go-route that went for a long completion.

Aiken is completely useless as a receiver. I can't figure out why Edelman played only 13 snaps, other than the fact that his skill set overlaps so closely with Welker's. Let's hope that either Galloway finally begins to "get it" or that Tate is the real deal. I can't remember the last go-route that went for a long completion.

He's a rookie, and is still learning. They didn't want to throw him in the deep end against the JEST, but circumstances dictated they do so.

Laurence Maroney had his playtime dramatically reduced, a reflection of his recent struggles. It seems fair to suggest that the coaching staff doesn't have full confidence in him at this point.

He didn't play the whole 4th quarter! I wonder what's gonna be his status after the Broncos game??
moroney.jpg

I thought Maroney did well with the limited number of carries he had. He picked up a tough first down on 3rd and 1 when everyone knew we were going to run for it. Morris played pretty good, but I'd like to see Lawfirm get some carries too now that Taylor is out.

The hatred for Galloway seems to have dropped after watching Aiken take his spot. Aiken's a valuable STer, but he shouldn't be taking snaps as a WR.

He's a rookie, and is still learning. They didn't want to throw him in the deep end against the JEST, but circumstances dictated they do so.

Yes, he is learning but he still makes plays, which is more than I can say for Aiken. As for Tate, it is a long shot that he will become our 3rd receiver, given that so few rookie receivers make an impact, even with a full training camp.

both galloway and maroney's snaps being reduced/eliminated are hard to figure out.

both galloway and maroney's snaps being reduced/eliminated are hard to figure out.

Obviously BB doesnt see either of them getting the job done. Maroney didnt even start yesterday. Maroneys time here in NE is pretty much over with at the end of the year and I think Galloway is already done seeing he cant get used to the playbook and isnt very versatile

Belichick did what I expected yesterday in the running game. We had a clear #1 RB, a #2 as a change of pace for a few carries, a 3rd round back and an #4 emergency back who can be activated or not (depending on special teams needs). Since I strongly recommended this approach before the game, I certainly approve of this approach. :)

Yes, I would have run more, but when we ran, there were reasonable results.

As others have posted, I would like to see more passes to the running backs, especially Maroney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down