Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Mike Reiss said:
4) Fifth and sixth receivers in focus. Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis seem entrenched as the top four receivers. With this in mind, I spent some time watching the fifth and sixth options today – rookie Julian Edelman and veteran Sam Aiken. At one point, Edelman lined up alongside Galloway and Lewis in hurry-up work, and overall, I saw him catch everything thrown his way. Aiken figures to make the club because of his special teams prowess, so Edelman’s progress will be interesting to monitor (a better gauge will come when there is contact), as it could lead the team to keep six receivers.

It will be a very interesting camp battle, though I don't know if Lewis is that entrenched as the #4 WR.

A couple of things, media guys get their binkie bubble guys and hype them more than they maybe should. It seems like every year people in the media fall in love with these rookies and some times they make the team and produce (Gary Guyton) and sometimes they don't (Oscar Lua). Even Chad Jackson was a hit in the OTAs his rookie season. Many guys were talking about him being a superstar

Also, it is OTAs. I never get too excited what happens when players practice in shorts (well sweats in this weather) and no pads. Minicamp heroes turn into preseason zeros a lot of the time.

I think Lewis has a pretty good shot at the #3 role. He definitely is more useful in the shorter game than Galloway especially going over the middle. I think Galloway is more of an outside receiver and limited in the routes he runs these days. I think he will be more of a situational player than the standard third receiver in three WR sets.

Personally, I doubt the Pats will carry 6 WRs. There seems to be too many spots where there is a lot of competition for roster spots and I don't they will have the luxary of carrying 6 WRs. If Edelman does prove his wears especially on special teams, he could bump Aiken for a roster spot.

He's definitly getting over hyped by Reiss. As a WR I can't seem him beating out Aiken who is experienced at the position. His only hope to make that #6 spot would be to flash some Hester-type ability as a return man.

the only one that matters is if belichick is high on him, who the hell is reiss, hes a good reporter, give me a break!!

Thanks for stating the obvious. Like I haven't been following the Pats since 1982 and don't know that its the HC who has to be impressed..

As for giving you a break. WHY? You sure as heck haven't brought anything since you started posting.

B

He's definitly getting over hyped by Reiss. As a WR I can't seem him beating out Aiken who is experienced at the position. His only hope to make that #6 spot would be to flash some Hester-type ability as a return man.

didnt edelman play QB? why not take the #3 QB spot, plus play return man, plus #6 WR (b/c there is no way Aiken is not making this roster)

A couple of things, media guys get their binkie bubble guys and hype them more than they maybe should. It seems like every year people in the media fall in love with these rookies and some times they make the team and produce (Gary Guyton) and sometimes they don't (Oscar Lua). Even Chad Jackson was a hit in the OTAs his rookie season. Many guys were talking about him being a superstar

Also, it is OTAs. I never get too excited what happens when players practice in shorts (well sweats in this weather) and no pads. Minicamp heroes turn into preseason zeros a lot of the time.

I think Lewis has a pretty good shot at the #3 role. He definitely is more useful in the shorter game than Galloway especially going over the middle. I think Galloway is more of an outside receiver and limited in the routes he runs these days. I think he will be more of a situational player than the standard third receiver in three WR sets.

Personally, I doubt the Pats will carry 6 WRs. There seems to be too many spots where there is a lot of competition for roster spots and I don't they will have the luxary of carrying 6 WRs. If Edelman does prove his wears especially on special teams, he could bump Aiken for a roster spot.

A few things. Its minicamp now, not OTAs. Mini-camps are mandatory unless you've been excused by the team.

Yes, Edelman might be getting hyped by Reiss. But if the guy is running his routes properly and catching everything thrown to him, then isn't some hype merited?

Also, All I said is it would be an interesting camp. Is Edelman a long shot? Yep. But then so were Woods, Guyton, Alexander, Welker (for the Phins), Troy Brown, and numerous others.

Lewis has potential. Aiken, I don't think he has as much upside and I don't believe he's proven to be a legit receiver. He's was a let down for the Bills as a receiver and he's not stood out as a receiver for the Pats.

Re: B

didnt edelman play QB? why not take the #3 QB spot, plus play return man, plus #6 WR (b/c there is no way Aiken is not making this roster)

I think that the Pats are very high on Hoyer and if it came down to Hoyer and Edelman, they'd keep Hoyer. Edelman is much more likely to make it to the practice squad from waivers than Hoyer is.

I think that the Pats are very high on Hoyer and if it came down to Hoyer and Edelman, they'd keep Hoyer. Edelman is much more likely to make it to the practice squad from waivers than Hoyer is.

if u say so, i wouldnt know about practice squad

I'm excited about this kid. I hope he does enough to make the team so we can develop him into a nice player. From reading about him, it sounds like his ceiling as a receiver is to become a Wes Welker type of slot receiver. It sounds like he's got a lot of quickness and wiggle, but doesn't posses the long speed. You'd also assume that he's smart (being a QB) and fearless (being a running QB). I think he's main competition for a roster spot will be Aiken and Slater. Mainly special teams' players.

It would be interesting to see how Slater has also developed.

I'm excited about this kid. I hope he does enough to make the team so we can develop him into a nice player. From reading about him, it sounds like his ceiling as a receiver is to become a Wes Welker type of slot receiver. It sounds like he's got a lot of quickness and wiggle, but doesn't posses the long speed. You'd also assume that he's smart (being a QB) and fearless (being a running QB). I think he's main competition for a roster spot will be Aiken and Slater. Mainly special teams' players.

It would be interesting to see how Slater has also developed.

Aiken seems to be the captain of the ST right now (along with ciuru) and i dont see him NOT making the final roster....

its gonna be either slater or edelman, not both (if either makes it that is)

it'd be nice if this guy could turn into a bert emanual player. he was a good WR for a few years

*Consdering the fact that most people get shot down for saying anything, I'm not a backroom staff member, so I don't know the full story, but IMO:*

BB seems to like versatility. Edelmen can play QB and WR. I don't expect him to play the former if he's running mini-camp as the latter, but who knows. If he gets a roster spot it might be because of just that. We've seen on occasions Anquain Boldin's effectiveness at throwing the ball, and the Pats are never short on surprises, like a few times in 07. Maybe that was just the inventiveness of JMcD, but who knows.

We kept 6 roster spots 2 years back, and last year if I remember correctly, so having 6 isn't a big deal. Plus with our style of spread offence it's always good to have more than less. And in the possibility that Galloway gets injured or something like that, we would probably have Lewis bumped up and need that extra man.

Blader.

Aiken seems to be the captain of the ST right now (along with ciuru) and i dont see him NOT making the final roster....

its gonna be either slater or edelman, not both (if either makes it that is)

I would think that Pierre Woods is more likely to be the Special Teams Captain than Aiken. Not that it matters because its voted on by the players after the rosters are finalized.

A few things. Its minicamp now, not OTAs. Mini-camps are mandatory unless you've been excused by the team.

Yes, Edelman might be getting hyped by Reiss. But if the guy is running his routes properly and catching everything thrown to him, then isn't some hype merited?

Also, All I said is it would be an interesting camp. Is Edelman a long shot? Yep. But then so were Woods, Guyton, Alexander, Welker (for the Phins), Troy Brown, and numerous others.

Lewis has potential. Aiken, I don't think he has as much upside and I don't believe he's proven to be a legit receiver. He's was a let down for the Bills as a receiver and he's not stood out as a receiver for the Pats.

Minicamps. OTAs. They are all the same to me. It is still no pads, no contact.

I never take a minicamp or OTA report seriously. Never have, never will. Too many minicamp studs turn into preseason duds.

Edelman may make the squad. He is facing a far bigger uphill battle than a lot of the players you mentioned because of all the draft picks (and fairly high draft picks) the Pats had this year. The Pats had 12 draft picks with eight of them coming in the first five rounds (four in the second alone). So it is going to be tough for a seventh rounder or any of the undrafted rookies to make a spot. Edelman's versatility may help especially if he shows enough on special teams to earn him enough to be on the active roster that he might be able to be out there for a trick play or two since he can throw the ball as well as receive.

Yea. I haven't heard a report of him throwing any passes this camp though. It looks like they want to use him as a WR/ST player with an arm if it's ever needed. He may be more competition to Slater's spot then Aiken.

So it is going to be tough for a seventh rounder or any of the undrafted rookies to make a spot.

And yet some of them always do (see: Wright, Mike; Gutierrez, Matt; Woods, Pierre; Guyton, Gary; etc.). . . .

Yea. I haven't heard a report of him throwing any passes this camp though. It looks like they want to use him as a WR/ST player with an arm if it's ever needed. He may be more competition to Slater's spot then Aiken.

Reported today in Reiss, Edelman running the Wildcat and passing.

Though Edelman doesn't do any one thing all that well, he could do enough things well enough to make the team. PS at the very least.

Read Christopher Price's Thursday report. He's high on the Big E as well.

Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

It will be a very interesting camp battle, though I don't know if Lewis is that entrenched as the #4 WR.

Are you saying then Aiken is battling Lewis for #4? That could be a possibility.

Tate potentially going onto PUP and/or then IR would open a spot for Edelman. I'd love to keep Edelman, pre-draft I advocated drafting and retaining 2 young wideouts, and I maintain that would be a wise move.

Now, if that WR can also contribute on ST, be an emergency #3 QB, even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots