PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Revisiting Meriweather & '07 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsChamp88

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots coach Bill Belichick has said on multiple occasions that the 2007 draft was not strong.

He most recently made the point when speaking on Boston sports radio station WEEI, noting that the grades the Patriots had on 2010 sixth-round pick Ted Larsen and 2010 seventh-round pick Thomas Welch were better than the team had on fourth-round players in 2007.

Revisiting Meriweather & '07 draft - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
Not sure if this has been posted already but this tidbit was interesting..

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted already but this tidbit was interesting..

Yep. The tidbit about Kareem Brown (by implication) grading out worse than those guys has been mentioned.

the meriweather pick was fine......as for the draft, it wasn't that weak as there were plenty of day 2 prospects to be had and plenty of draft picks to get them....the pats just missed on them all.

the pats drafted rogers and lua as LB's......nothing out of either one while they could have had antwan barnes, desmond bishop, zach diles, brandon siler

at RB, they took hairston while others, got ahmad bradshaw, jason snelling, deshawn wynn

not saying every pick should have been something, but there was too much out there to not have gotten anything out of any of them....

breaston, nanee, boss, celek, mcclain

now its either the selection process or the failures of the coaches to develop......I think its the former since none of the guys the pats have dumped have made it anywhere else

Meriweather is good but probably won't matriculate into a ProBowler like many here speculate. He had a horrendous effort on some big tackles in the playoff loss this year.

That being said, he is capable of starting and should continue to improve. I suppose that Chung is the long term solution at FS then?

I actually like the depth at safety. lets not forget the Tank Williams experiment that didn't work but indicated that Belichick liked the 3 safety defense, one of them being a defacto linebacker with speed.

I still see Belichick getting Ed Reed here with a vet minimum contract in a year or two. I think Ed Reed is his favorite player in this league, period.

Meriweather is good but probably won't matriculate into a ProBowler like many here speculate. He had a horrendous effort on some big tackles in the playoff loss this year.

That being said, he is capable of starting and should continue to improve. I suppose that Chung is the long term solution at FS then?

I actually like the depth at safety. lets not forget the Tank Williams experiment that didn't work but indicated that Belichick liked the 3 safety defense, one of them being a defacto linebacker with speed.

I still see Belichick getting Ed Reed here with a vet minimum contract in a year or two. I think Ed Reed is his favorite player in this league, period.

Tom Brady says hi.

This post is so bad.

I think Merriweather is really going to step it up next year. The past couple seasons he has been around the ball A LOT in pass coverage, but hasn't quite put it altogether. I am hoping this year he starts pulling down more interceptions and gets a little more disciplined in run support.

This will be his 4rd season and he's been to the pro bowl once already.
I think this kid is showing steady improvement in the last couple years,
Don't know if he'll ever be the fearsome intimidater like Rodney but he'll do good things before it's all said and done. IMHO.

He was a probowl backup, not a starter, so let's not get ahead of our selves.

And before we say its still the probowl, Garrard was there so come on. Basically, he has some decent talent, but he hasn't put it together on the field. I'm not sure he ever will, but I hope he does.

This is the year you would expect him to step up big time. Last year he was the starter and his mentor had left. Now with a year behind him of being the unquestioned no.1 he should be ready to take it to another level.

Every team that has won the Super Bowl in the last decade has had an elite safety. Merriweather can't be just "good" - or we're screwed. Unless Chung comes out of nowhere. Maybe.. Probably not.

Every team that has won the Super Bowl in the last decade has had an elite safety. Merriweather can't be just "good" - or we're screwed. Unless Chung comes out of nowhere. Maybe.. Probably not.

Giants didn't in '07.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing