PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss reports Maroney fires agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement zombie

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports New England Patriots rookie RB Laurence Maroney has fired his agent at the Lock, Metz and Malinovic Sports firm. Maroney still needs to file paperwork with the NFLPA that indicates who is his representative. The switch doesn't appear to be based on dissatisfaction with contract talks.
mildly interesting...

Last edited:
Re: Reiss reports Maroney fires his agent

basement zombie said:
mildly interesting...

After a player fires an agent he can't hire a new one for at least 1 week...so contract talks may be delayed a little, unless this is a bit old and he did it last week.

Last edited:

The kid apparently is going to be part of an upcoming NFL Network show about members of this year's rookie class expected to be the league's future stars. Let's hope he has a good head on his shoulders and isn't already seeing himself as a celebrity.

There was speculation on this last week as Vernon Davis had fired the same agent. One of the reps from the firm Maroney was represented by is changing firms. From PFT on July 12th:

POSTED 11:40 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2006
DAVIS DUMPS LOCK, HIRES DUNN?
A league source tells us that 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, the sixth overall selection in the draft, could be making an agent change.
Per the source, the talk in league circles is that Davis is replacing Ethan Lock with David Dunn.
Remaining in the mix is Zeke Sandhu, whose name appears on the SRA with Lock. But Sandhu, we're told, is heading to Dunn's shop, and Davis is going with him.
The move has sparked speculation that Pats' first-round running back Laurence Maroney and Falcons' second-round corner Jimmy Williams might follow, since Sandhu is on the SRA for both of them, too.
Stay tuned.[/LEFT]

Last edited:

Welker83 said:
After a player fires an agent he can't hire a new one for at least 1 week...so contract talks may be delayed a little, unless this is a bit old and he did it last week.

You are correct, but according to Reiss the waiting period is already over so he can hire a new agent now if he wants.

Per Reiss . . .

"When a player switches agents, there is a five-day waiting period before he is able to hire a new agent, per NFLPA rules. That waiting period has passed for Maroney, according to an NFLPA spokeswoman."

Last edited:

edzo44 said:
You are correct, but according to Reiss the waiting period is already over so he can hire a new agent now if he wants.
Not to mention that the new agent could still work on a contract and finalize it once officially hired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention he's not even changing agents - just agencies to follow the guy he signed with to his new agency.

And I don't think the NFLN show will be a problem - it's likely one of those semi-league mandated things to pump their TV product (I've seen the promos) and in the can before TC starts. Were he to develop "attitude" he's on the right team with the right HC to re ground him!

Welker83 said:
Actually, it is five days and the period has already expired so it shouldn't delay his signing that much, if at all. This kid is the real deal and could be a franchise player by the end of his rookie contract.

John Clayton is saying he really hasn't switched:

"Double switch? There is no agent change for first-round choices Vernon Davis (San Francisco) and Laurence Maroney (New England). What happened was a non-paid aide left the firm of Eric Metz, Ethan Locke and Vance Malinovic, but his name was on the players' agent agreements. New paperwork had to be filed to remove the aide's name. Negotiations between the firm and the Patriots and 49ers are progressing. The deals should be done before the start of camp."

At this rate we should have the class of 2006 signed by October.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 5:26 p.m. EDT, July 18, 2006
AGENT BATTLES EVENTUALLY TO RESULT IN GUNFIRE?

Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe reports that Patriots first-round running back Laurence Maroney has parted ways with agents Ethan Lock and Eric Metz.

The move isn't a shocker for readers of this site, given rumors reported in this space last week that 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, the No. 6 overall pick in the draft, has left the same firm and is believed to be headed with agent Zeke Sandhu for Dave Dunn's shop.

The resulting scramble regarding Vernon Davis is prompting fears in some league circles that, eventually, someone is going to get the Keith Davis treatment.

"I wouldn't be surprised if someone is killed over this," said one league insider with knowledge of the situation. "It might not happen right off the bat, but down the line."

The possible addition of Maroney to this hybrid game of musical chairs and Powerball lottery is sure to raise any tensions that already might have been stoked by the Davis situation.

The fears expressed to us mesh with concerns we've heard on numerous occasions in the past in connection with the inherently cutthroat world of football agents. The thinking is that, literally, someone's throat will be cut in the wake of one of these squabbles involving players who leave one agent and head for another one.

The violence, as the theory goes, is more likely to originate not from the agents but from the so-called "runners" who cozy up to the players -- and who them help to deliver the players to the agent.

Runners operate in the background, and sometimes in the shadows. So some might be in position to make certain things happen to certain people, if so disposed.

Let's be clear here. We're not saying that anyone is in any imminent peril. The point is that these situations create plenty of hard feelings among the agents and their runners, as the promise of three percent of a fat rookie contract that suddenly gets up and follows the lure of another runner and/or agent.

Bottom line -- if/when someone is shot, stabbed, or harmed in some other way as a result of one of these situations, we all should be sickened, but no one should be surprised.

Last edited:
SoonerPatriot said:
At this rate we should have the class of 2006 signed by October.

What, you think the Pats are sitting on their hands?

There are VERY FEW teams right now with all of their picks signed. Picks are signed between now and training camp EVERY YEAR for almost EVERY TEAM. It doesn't make a difference if they're signed May 20th or July 20th. The team has the draft rights and the players are around, with or without a contract.

I don't why you're so worried. It's been in two threads now.

2005 Signings:

July 29 - First day of camp

July 25 - Signed Logan Mankins. (Rd. 1)

July 22 - Signed Ellis Hobbs. (Rd. 3)

July 20 - Signed Nick Kaczur (Rd. 3) and James Sanders. (Rd. 4)

June 28 - Signed Matt Cassell (Rd. 7) and Ryan Claridge. (Rd. 5)

June 10 - Signed Andy Stokes. (Rd. 7, last pick)

2006 Signings:

July 28 - First day of camp

July 17 - Signed Garrett Mills. (Rd. 4)

July 13 - Signed Dan Stevenson. (Rd. 6)

July 10 - Signed Willie Andrews. (Rd. 7)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
What, you think the Pats are sitting on their hands?
Yeah, we're still 10 days away. Which is no big deal for those that actually pay attention every year. It's usually like this.

JoeSixPat said:
Great. Maroney might want to think about some bodyguards.

Any volunteers?

What? None?

... and you call yourselves PatsFans... :nono:
I'm on it Joe. But first, I'll be capping the arses of the pencilnecks that continue to try to get that ridiculous "LoMo" moniker to stick. I believe that's far more of an initial threat than the agent's 'runners'.
:cool:

T-ShirtDynasty said:
I'm on it Joe. But first, I'll be capping the arses of the pencilnecks that continue to try to get that ridiculous "LoMo" moniker to stick. I believe that's far more of an initial threat than the agent's 'runners'.

Should be Larry Mo. Soitanly!:woohoo:

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:

Don't let this modship get to your head buddy--you ain't that tight...

:rofl:

Flying Fungi said:
Don't let this modship get to your head buddy--you ain't that tight...

:rofl:
Dude, I'm so tight, my eyeballs bulge. I may be the tightest white guy that THEARCHIVES has ever encountered... which may be due to the fact that I'm supplementing L-Tyrosine for increased metabolic function, which also happens to provide me with a highly-increased melanin precursor. So my jacked up melanin production combined with lots of Brook Trout hunting with the blazing sun reflecting off pristine Maine streams and brooks makes me tan wicked easily.

Damn, I just gave away the secret to 45% of my tightness factor. :mad:

The important part though, was that I just wanted to reassure Joe that some Patriots fans had LaMa's back when he needs it. ;)
RayClay said:
Should be Larry Mo. Soitanly!:woohoo:
Nyuuck Nyuuck Nyuuck ...wooob woooob.

Sounds like the agent needs to start drinking some Koolaid. Well the shootings are a bit scary though. Guess there is some seedy stuff going on in the background. But not too surprising when so much money is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back