PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Q&A on Denver's Thin Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Some interesting perspectives from Brady and BB on the thin air advantage the Broncos gain at Mile High Stadium:

Q.It's well-known that the thin air in Denver affects pitchers by altering the aerodynamics of the baseball. Does it affect quarterbacks by changing the flight of the football? Are athletes affected by altitude as much as us civilians?
Karl Rethemeyer, Albany, NY

A: Although he wasn't asked directly about the aerodynamics of the football, quarterback Tom Brady spoke on altitude during his weekly interview on Boston sports radio station WEEI: "The breathing part for me is not a big deal, but then again, I probably run 1/100th of the time of everyone else on the field. I know for some of the other guys it's challenging. I think the biggest factor is the way you play. If you play good, you're never really tired. If you play bad, you're pretty tired."

Do the Patriots leave earlier for Denver than they would have left for any other city to get used to the thin air?
Robert Sheehan, San Diego

A: No, the Patriots will leave the day before the game, as they always do. The subject has come up with Bill Belichick in the past and he usually reflects to his one year coaching in Denver (1978) and tells a story on how the Broncos used to make a big deal out of it to make opponents think the air was more of a factor than it really was. This is what Belichick said during his weekly radio segment on sports radio WEEI: "I think that's the least of our problems. I think it's mainly psychological."

That being said I would expect BB to use reverse psychology to help his team overcome any psychological advantage the thin air does provide for the Broncos.

We've all seen games where opposing team players are exceptionally winded, breathing off the oxygen tank following a long run. Additionally I would expect BB to be ready to rotate and rest guys - especially those that have to run play after play like in the secondary.

But I don't expect the game to be decided based on thin air.

JoeSixPat said:
But I don't expect the game to be decided based on thin air.

Nope. It will be decided based on the superior team (denver) having its way with the inferior team (new england).

BB is right: the thin air is the least of the Pats' worries. Better to be concerned with our running game, the play action boot and the safety blitz (our linebackers cover like suntan lotion on a 19 y/o blond).

Should be a good game, though. Broncs 28, Pats 24.

Here's to a worthy oponent. :eat1:

bombquixote said:
Nope. It will be decided based on the superior team (denver) having its way with the inferior team (new england).

BB is right: the thin air is the least of the Pats' worries. Better to be concerned with our running game, the play action boot and the safety blitz (our linebackers cover like suntan lotion on a 19 y/o blond).

Should be a good game, though. Broncs 28, Pats 24.

Here's to a worthy oponent. :eat1:

A pressure tested championship team is coming to Denver for a huge playoff game and not one of you Broncos fans are giving the Patriots a fighting chance. Are you all that arrogant? Last week, this website was nothing but respect for the Jags who got mauled physically by the Pats. I know my brothers and sisters here will tell not to waste my time but you Bronco fans have no idea whats coming at you Saturday. You are about to find out.

FloridaPatsFan said:
A pressure tested championship team is coming to Denver for a huge playoff game and not one of you Broncos fans are giving the Patriots a fighting chance. Are you all that arrogant? Last week, this website was nothing but respect for the Jags who got mauled physically by the Pats. I know my brothers and sisters here will tell not to waste my time but you Bronco fans have no idea whats coming at you Saturday. You are about to find out.

I do respect the Pats. I think it's amazing what they've done the last few years, and their rebound this year was a surprise. A lesser organization would have folded. They're a good team, and I'd be worried if we were playing in New England. But the Broncs at home? You'd better roll straight sixes.

bombquixote said:
I do respect the Pats. I think it's amazing what they've done the last few years, and their rebound this year was a surprise. A lesser organization would have folded. They're a good team, and I'd be worried if we were playing in New England. But the Broncs at home? You'd better roll straight sixes.
That explains Belichick's yachtzee fascination!

I've been going up on the roof of my house to get use to the altitude. I really haven't noticed any difference yet.

PATSNUTme said:
I've been going up on the roof of my house to get use to the altitude. I really haven't noticed any difference yet.

:rofl: Let's see, Mt. Washington is about a mile high. Have you tried that? Cold too!

bombquixote said:
But the Broncs at home? You'd better roll straight sixes.
Just for fun.

2001 Pittsburgh Steelers at home. 7-1. 194-78 in points.
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers at home. 8-0. 200-104 in points.
2005 Denver Broncos at home. 8-0. 209-100 in points.

2001 AFC Championship Game : New England Patriots 24, Pittsburgh Steelers 17 in Pittsburgh.
2005 AFC Championship Game : New England Patriots 41, Pittsburgh Steelers 27 in Pittsburgh.

Don't think we can't do it.

Last edited:
bombquixote said:
No offense, but the Jake play action boot has got to be the most overrated play in football. Sure it's effective if your running game is running the d over, but you guys talk about it like it's the Second Coming... the fact is, it still means Jake has to throw the football, which I'm comfortable with.

/KC, anybody?
//He threw it right to a Chief in the endzone off the play action

CheerforTom said:
bombquixote said:
No offense, but the Jake play action boot has got to be the most overrated play in football. Sure it's effective if your running game is running the d over, but you guys talk about it like it's the Second Coming... the fact is, it still means Jake has to throw the football, which I'm comfortable with.

/KC, anybody?
//He threw it right to a Chief in the endzone off the play action

You do realize Brady threw twice as many interceptions this year as Plummer?

Just wait. It doesn't take much from the running game to set up the play action boot. Move the chains once or twiced and there you go. We'll burn you deep with it at least three, probably four times (and I hope on each one you hear my voice in your head: "I told you so!").

Jake, btw, completes over 60% of his passes. He's better than people realize. There are only three or four other QBs in the league right now around whom I'd rather build a team (Brady being one of them, I grant you--even if he is a girly man).

Jake throwing...I'm comfortable with it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes