PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Projects Only FIVE Active Defensive Linemen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I thought that this deserved its own thread, so that more might view it.

Reiss has the following as likely to be inactive: Buchanan, Moore, Chris Jones and Siliga.

The is not good news for a hot day in Miami.

Hightower, Vellano and Fleming are our only front defensive 7 backups (presuming a base nickel defense). I don't count White who got one defensive rep all last season.

BOTTOM LINE

From where I sit, our defensive front seven depth is extremely thin.

Last edited:
More surpriced around the safetys - Why go with a newly signed guy vs a good STer or another usefull position, makes no sense.

And unlike most sportswriter, he makes it clear that it's an "attempt to predict." Reiss, to my knowledge, has never guaranteed anything nor made a bold prediction, and when he makes a mistake, he always owns up to it and "throws a penalty flag" on himself (again, unlike most sportswriters).

I think we'll be glad Reiss isn't the HC when the inactives are announced
I agree.

Even I would have Moore active if the rest aren't able to play (Siliga, Chris Jones and Buchanan). If Moore is inactive with THREE injuries on the DL, that shows very little confidence in his abilities. I would think that Moore could replace Buchanan some on Special Teams. We usually have one DE/OLB type on the coverage teams.

Last edited:
Outside of the injured (Jones and Buchanan) and Fleming I do not agree with any of his inactive.

Hindsight is 20/20. There are numerous teams who wished they had taken Brady ahead of the QB they chose. They didn't, life sucks (for them)

In the end, you have to take the good with the bad. We get it right sometimes, we get it wrong sometimes. Anyone who spends years bleating about a bad draft pick should maybe consider putting their application into one of the 32 front offices.

Or put my lottery numbers on for me, as they have such good forsight

I agree.

Even I would have Moore active if the rest aren't able to play (Siliga, Chris Jones and Buchanan). If Moore is inactive with THREE injuries on the DL, that shows very little confidence in his abilities. I would think that Moore could replace Buchanan some on Special Teams. We usually have one DE/OLB type on the coverage teams.

Why would anyone have confidence in Moore's abilities at this point?

Not sure you represented his position fairly either.
DE Zach Moore: With the status of other defensive linemen in question, making Moore inactive might be taking too much away from that group. Tough to project Moore's status, in part because of that.

DL Sealver Siliga: The third-year big man in the middle has been limited in practice with a left hand/wrist injury, and is questionable on the injury report. He made the trip, which means he has a chance to play, and if that's the case the next area to look for an inactive would likely be receivers (e.g. Kenbrell Thompkins, Brandon LaFell) or running back (e.g. Brandon Bolden).

Why would anyone have confidence in Moore's abilities at this point?

Belichick CHOSE to carry nine defensive linemen, including Moore as one of the nine. If Moore is not capable of being active when three players are inactive on the DL, then IMHO, we should have had another backup on the 53, either instead of Moore or in addition to him (if he is considered such a valuable developmental player). IMHO, he should be at lest be able to play the DE/OLB special teams position.

BTW, I did not have Moore on any of my rosters, expect perhaps at the very end when everyone else was gone.

Belichick CHOSE to carry nine defensive linemen, including Moore as one of the nine. If Moore is not capable of being active when three players are inactive on the DL, then IMHO, we should have had another backup on the 53, either instead of Moore or in addition to him (if he is considered such a valuable developmental player). IMHO, he should be at lest be able to play the DE/OLB special teams position.

BTW, I did not have Moore on any of my rosters, expect perhaps at the very end when everyone else was gone.

I would say, off the top of my head, he is the most inexperienced, developmental player on the roster.

I would question the Moore selection as well. Miami figures to run an fast paced passing game that is not suited to Vince's game. Need some younger legs up front, and Moore showed some flexibility to play along the line. There are some guys who I figure not to get enough snaps to warrant a spot. If Wendell starts, I would sit Stork, who can only do one thing (similarly if Stork starts I'd sit Wendell). In case of injury, Connolly can slide over and a more versatile sub can slide into guard. I don't see the value in Hooman (with 2 TEs plus Develin, and an OT), but that's me. I also don't think we dress 4 RBs, so White (a rookie who did nothing in preseason games) is a candidate to sit. Don Jones is strictly a ST guy who was just signed this week. Is he immediately more valuable than Tavon Wilson (who played well in preseason)? I also see Fleming as a contributor on STs as well as DE/LB. Nobody makes money betting on Bill's decisions.

Last edited:
I project (oh yeah!!!) Fleming and Zach Moore will both be active. Fleming for ST and maybe some rotational play, and Moore might get a few snaps at 3-4 DE.

Last edited:
I would say, off the top of my head, he is the most inexperienced, developmental player on the roster.
I agree. For that reason, if Moore is to be on the 53, I would have kept an additional DL who was good enough to be active with three injuries on the DL.

I project that Sealver Siliga will be active...

ps:

Who is Mike Reiss?

Reiss is almost certainly mistaken, though I'm not sure it deserves its own thread.

It appears ESPN has given Reiss a clear directive to fit in with its other beat reporters and begin to push stupid opinions. That's a shame.

I would question the Moore selection as well. Miami figures to run an fast paced passing game that is not suited to Vince's game. Need some younger legs up front, and Moore showed some flexibility to play along the line. There are some guys who I figure not to get enough snaps to warrant a spot. If Wendell starts, I would sit Stork, who can only do one thing (similarly if Stork starts I'd sit Wendell). In case of injury, Connolly can slide over and a more versatile sub can slide into guard. I don't see the value in Hooman (with 2 TEs plus Develin, and an OT), but that's me. I also don't think we dress 4 RBs, so White (a rookie who did nothing in preseason games) is a candidate to sit. Don Jones is strictly a ST guy who was just signed this week. Is he immediately more valuable than Tavon Wilson (who played well in preseason)? I also see Fleming as a contributor on STs as well as DE/LB. Nobody makes money betting on Bill's decisions.

If Reiss' predictions were on target, we'd be starting theseason without an NFL caliber running back, so I take them with a grain of salt. Also, he as much as said Siliga is on the trip likely to play, so I'm not worried at all whether a raw project player plays much in the first game of the season. Given the activity at DL, I believe Siliga must be ready and Vellano and Hightower can also backup. Jamie Collins could rush at times too.

As you note, there are tons of areas where one player could be inactive. RBs, WRs TEs. By definition, every team is lacking depth somewhere on game day unless they suck and have no depth.

I like Zach Moore as a LDE in a 4-3, I think he has raw talent similar to Michael Bennett. I would liked for Buchanan to become a double digit sack guy as rush olb in 3-4 defense. Coaches said Mercilus was the better/experienced player so far but Buchanan had more athletic upside. In a 3-4 I like wilfork siliga and Easley eventually at Dline with Collins/Jones at olb with mayo at ilb with hightower or ninkovich or whomever steps up as other ilb. We need another edge rusher to step up opposide Jones. I like Collins at olb so far because despite his cover ability, more heat is needed on the opposing qb than last year. If Buchanan stepped up as a big time rusher then I would like Collins inside next to Mayo. If Buchanan stepped up big time it would be a formidable front 7 with power and speed with Wilfork Siliga and Easley as the Dline. Jones and Buchanan as olb edge rushers with Mayo and Collins inside. That is some big time speed at LB that would close in a flash in coverage or if qbs try to run. And a Dline with some power and qb rush skill. I still want Hightower to add some bulk and play penetrating DT or some 3-4 DE in case Easley is injured or takes longer to put his size back on and get up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes