PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss predicts Welker PUP'ed 6/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sticking by my prediction that Welker plays in game 1.

Im 50-50 on the Welker PUP possibilities. I see the benefit of PUPing him and sort of assuring his health until around mid-season. I just hate the idea of him not being able to practice with this team for over 3 months, because that's about what it would be - start of TC in July til after week 7 in late October. Sure, he can rehab and attend meetings. But Welker is such a positive presence, Id much rather see us suck it up with the 1 less eligible player, and throw a red non-contact jersey on Wes, and just try and limit the extent of his work, rather just completely removing him from practicing with this team for 3 months. He could still have a pretty solid impact on the young receivers in practice, and imo, that would serve as more valuable than just keeping another JAG around as the 53rd man.

Last edited:
Put me down in favor of PUP. Welker's no Rodney Harrison in terms of being in his 30's with only a season or two left. No point in rushing him out there. He's what 27? Wait until he's fully healed and seasoned. He's got a long career yet. He may have looked good running around out there, but if you look back at some of the moves he's made and some of the hits he's dodged and taken, it doesn't make sense to put him in there until he can play up to his potential. Stokely, now of Denver, formerly of the Colts, is a good example of what can happen to these guys. Guy's been in multiple car wrecks with no seat belt. Guys like this have only one weapon--their quick-twitch legs. Let him load up.

Just when I thought the guy could actually be the 'real' Superman, Mike Reiss brings me right down to earth:(

Says despite his recent optimistic success in individual drills, he still fully expects Welker to be placed on TC PUP and remain there for the first 6 games of the season. This would coincide with many original predictions, and ruin the optimism that some of us have shared lately.

FWIW--Reiss is predicting the return in the beginning of November.
Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

He didnt say he FULLY EXPECTS he said if he had to guess.

Belichick was asked about Welker on Patriots All Access a few days ago, and here is his response: "Hopefully with no setbacks, he'll have an opportunity to get out there and compete at some point this year."

Considering the fact that BB usually has virtually nothing to say about injuries, I thought his answer was rather surprising. I would take the 'at some point this year' portion of his answer to mean that as of right now he is not expecting Welker to play week one. Obviously that is still a very long ways away and things could change, but as of this moment the most likely scenario is that Welker starts the season on PUP, in my opinion.

I would hesitate to try to cull meaning from any BB comment. He is not interested in answering a question in a way that gives any information, unless its misinformation. Compare this comment to what he says about all other injuries, and 'we hope he can contribute at some point' sounds very rhetorical.
I'm not saying your conclusion is wrong, just that if you base it on meaning inside BBs quote, you would only be correct or incorrect by luck.

He didnt say he FULLY EXPECTS he said if he had to guess.

Poor wording on my part then, you are correct--he is simply guessing. Kind of figured that was implied of course, coming from a reporter, but it still was a bad choice of phrasing on my part.

I personally hope he does get PUP'd. If he isnt 100%, i dont want him out there. I think the team can manage without him for 6 weeks. I want him healthy and hungry, not re-injured for the playoffs.

Just when I thought the guy could actually be the 'real' Superman, Mike Reiss brings me right down to earth:(

Says despite his recent optimistic success in individual drills, he still fully expects Welker to be placed on TC PUP and remain there for the first 6 games of the season. This would coincide with many original predictions, and ruin the optimism that some of us have shared lately.

If you remember from last year, Reiss has a horrible track record predicting what will happen with Welker.

I am thinking about 60-40 that he plays game one. If he was going on PUP, why would the Patriots show that he can run routes? Would you broadcast a players rehab if he was going on PUP?

Last edited:
I am thinking about 60-40 that he plays game one. If he was going on PUP, why would the Patriots show that he can run routes? Would you broadcast a players rehab if he was going on PUP?

I think we need to consider the difference between running routes in a game, and running them at a mini camp :D

I think we need to consider the difference between running routes in a game, and running them at a mini camp :D

I know that, but a cut is still alot of pressure on the knee, whether it be in minicamp or in the Superbowl!

Someone on PFW in Progress said that most teams are over protective with players, so for Welker to be participating with the rest of the team, must mean he is doing pretty well :)

I dunno. Getting him back in October after getting hurt that badly in Week 17 has looked pretty good to me since January.

I dunno. Getting him back in October after getting hurt that badly in Week 17 has looked pretty good to me since January.

Well, really PUP means it'd be the end of October/beginning of November--which basically coincided with many posters' original predictions of mid-November or Thnxgiving. And that's IF he were activated immediately.

Regardless, your point about him playing this year at all being good news considering the original injury is still quite valid.

I think we all would be just fine with his missing the first 6 games if it meant having him for a stretch run--rather than risk having him on/off at points throughout the year.

I like Wes Welker. He's a good WR.

We need him week 1 if possible.

Simple, to the point, and accurate well said rook.

Bottom line is if he isn't ready we can get by without him but every game is important and we need as much help as we can get to win each game and if he is ready what little is gained from the pup you risk losing in the first 6 weeks.

I would want Welker on the roster so that there are no practice restrictions and so that he an play in games whenever he is ready, perhaps after the bye.

I would add that being able to practice whenever he is ready will help Welker and the team. Players on PUP are excluded from practicing. Do we really want Welker to ahve no practices until several weeks into the season?

My preference is that Welker not be on PUP for the beginning of the season. Of course, he can be put on PUP this week until he is ready to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back