PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss Picks his 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
patsfan13 said:
Edwards is 220# IIRC that is way too light for a LB in this system. He has been a fine LB but isn't a 3-4 LB.

The Chargers use the 3-4...

Edwards had 112 tackles last year as a 3-4 ILB.

Last edited:
Cobbs

I hear what you are saying, Pats1, about the small body of work that Cobbs has put together so far - but you have to admit, what he has done in the chances he has been given is exceptional. BB often says that this is key. Patrick Cobbs deserves a spot by this criterion IMHO.

Top runner and second receiver.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NE/2006/pre

Do these stats mean he will be a great NFL running back? No.
Do they make him an intriguing player with some upside that Heath Evans doesn't have? In my mind, yes. I'd keep Mills as FB and Cobbs.

Last edited:
Re: Cobbs

GoWesleyan said:
I hear what you are saying, Pats1, about the small body of work that Cobbs has put together so far - but you have to admit, what he has done in the chances he has been given is exceptional. BB often says that this is key. Patrick Cobbs deserves a spot by this criterion IMHO.

Top runner and second receiver.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/NE/2006/pre

Do these stats mean he will be a great NFL running back? No.
Do they make him an intriguing player with some upside that Heath Evans doesn't have? In my mind, yes. I'd keep Mills as FB and Cobbs.

From what I've seen on tape watching Mills lead block, he's been horrid. Evans isn't any better. Pass is actually probably the best by default at lead blocking.

pats1 said:
The Chargers use the 3-4...

Edwards had 112 tackles last year as a 3-4 ILB.

What is the lightest LB BB has used in his 3-4. Pitt runs the 3-4 eg in a way different than the Pats, don't know enough about the Chargers, was Edwards was SD running a 3-4 when Edwards was drafted? All our LB arer 245+ usually 250+.

patsfan13 said:
Edwards is 220# IIRC that is way too light for a LB in this system. He has been a fine LB but isn't a 3-4 LB.

He's a 3-4 ILB in the Chargers system.

patsfan13 said:
What is the lightest LB BB has used in his 3-4. Pitt runs the 3-4 eg in a way different than the Pats, don't know enough about the Chargers, was Edwards was SD running a 3-4 when Edwards was drafted? All our LB arer 245+ usually 250+.

Their bulk is there for stopping the run (a la T.J.).

Edwards isn't a run stopping ILB. He's definitely more of a coverage ILB.

If Seau is T.J., then Edwards is Phifer.

pats1 said:
From what I've seen on tape watching Mills lead block, he's been horrid. Evans isn't any better. Pass is actually probably the best by default at lead blocking.

If he is the best among those 3 players, then it isn't saying much since every time we are in a situation where we NEED a blocking full back, his A S S is on the sideline sipping "Fierce Berry" Gatoraid while Seymour/Hochstein/Neal/Klecko are in there as the lead blocker.

I have ZERO respect for Patrick Pass as a blocking FB. The guy doesn't get it done. If he did, he would be called on to do it when it counts.

pats1 said:
Gone for sure? I think not.

Teams aren't going to sacrifice a spot on their 53 for an undrafted player that has had a handful of good runs in the second halves of preseason games.

You're like the NEM of anti-Cobbness!

The coaches may decide that Evans beats him out for the 4th RB spott. If so, then it is what it is.

However, Cobbs has taken advantage of the opportunities given to him by playing well. It isn't his fault it was in the 2nd half of preseason games... that is the coaches decision.

Maybe we will vanish against first team competition. We just don't know until he is given the chance. Based on what I have seen, he looks good. I think he has the edge on Evans, but I am open to be proven wrong.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
You're like the NEM of anti-Cobbness!

The coaches may decide that Evans beats him out for the 4th RB spott. If so, then it is what it is.

However, Cobbs has taken advantage of the opportunities given to him by playing well. It isn't his fault it was in the 2nd half of preseason games... that is the coaches decision.

Maybe we will vanish against first team competition. We just don't know until he is given the chance. Based on what I have seen, he looks good. I think he has the edge on Evans, but I am open to be proven wrong.

Unfortunately the chance for Cobbs, Woods, and other young guys to see a chance against first team competition has come and gone.

I would have to think that the final roster will include 1 WR not on the team as of yet. Someone will get cut that the Pats have interest in. I doubt they will go into the season with just the corp group they have now including Branch. Not saying that they cannot do it and win, I just believe they will pick somone up on the cheap. A Ricky P, Bobby Engram, Marty Booker type. I am not saying any of those folks (Booker and Engram gainfully employed by Seahawks and Fins), but someone along those lines that inevitably will get cut in a week.

pats1 said:
From what I've seen on tape watching Mills lead block, he's been horrid. Evans isn't any better.
If Evans and Mills are equal in blocking...then Cobbs sticks...IMO.

My prediction is Faulk, Maroney, Cobbs and Evans - Dillon doesn't make the cut.

I agree with my fellow Mainer's (Lobster) choices for running back.

The only problem would be a salary cap hit of $2 million in 2006

and $3.5 million in 2007 if Dillon is cut.

Zuma said:
If Evans and Mills are equal in blocking...then Cobbs sticks...IMO.

Not following the logic...

Cobbs is a fairly one-dimensional player (although he can help in the passing game). Obviously he's not going to lead block like Evans or Mills, nor will he return kicks like Faulk or Maroney.

patsfan13 said:

Edwards is over 230 (233 I believe). While he would normally be light for the Patriots defense, to say that he isn't a 3-4 LB is BS since he's been in a 3-4 defense the last 2 years.

pats1 said:
Not following the logic...

Cobbs is a fairly one-dimensional player (although he can help in the passing game). Obviously he's not going to lead block like Evans or Mills, nor will he return kicks like Faulk or Maroney.

Here is the logic...why does Cobbs have to block if that's what Mills is for? Are you saying that if Mills is on the 53 man roster...he will NOT be used as a blocker? I happen to think BB is planning on using him as one. I don't see the need to platoon Evans and Mills. I think that would be a waste of a spot on the roster. Sort of like having Gostkowski and Gramatica. No...If Cobbs stays...it's because Mills will block which makes Evans expendable. As for one-demensional...Evans wrote the book.

Last edited:
Pats1 -
I don't have a problem with people thinkin that Cobbs COULD be the replacement for Faulk. I don't understand your absurd ANTI-Cobbs rants, though. Did he do something to your cheerios? Key your car, maybe?

Cobbs has had a better pre-season than Chapman or Eckel ever did for the Pats. People were hoping for Eckel because he played so damn well with Navy and was a REAL full-back compared to Pass. We hoped that we'd actually have someone who could be bruising on short-yardage downs. Something that Pass is not.

Rocky McIntosh and Jeff Posey figure to be in the Skins starting plans this season.

Also, just because someone is a UDFA, I think its a tremendous fallacy on your part to sell them short. The NFL is littered with UDFA who have had plenty of success. Heck, a UDFA was named the Broncos starter.

Cobbs has shown some skills that you can't teach, no matter who is playing on the field opposite you. His recognizing the need to bounce outside and not trying to pound it into a hole that was sealed off (like some RBs do) showed me some good play recognition. And its not like he just ran by guys who could have just reached out and tackled him. He avoided them.

BTW, When did EVANS learn how to lead block? His lack of blocking ability is one of the reasons that the Phins let him go last year.

Evans is a big back. He's not exactly a bruiser or power-back. Just big.

Really...this Cobbs bashing reminds me of Seymour93's freakish hatred for Cassel last year at this time...

Zuma said:
Here is the logic...why does Cobbs have to block if that's what Mills is for? Are you saying that if Mills is on the 53 man roster...he will NOT be used as a blocker? I happen to think BB is planning on using him as one. I don't see the need to platoon Evans and Mills. I think that would be a waste of a spot on the roster. Sort of like having Gostkowski and Gramatica. No...If Cobbs stays...it's because Mills will block which makes Evans expendable. As for one-demensional...Evans wrote the book.

If keeping Mills and Evans is a waste, how is keeping Cobbs AND Faulk AND Maroney AND Dillon not?

When's the last time a #4 RB made a team, nevermind got any carries?

With only 53 spots, there is enough room to keep a few guys for developmental purposes, but those spots usually go to late-round draft picks, or this year: Smith, Mincey, Stevenson, Andrews.

The high draft picks you get, the less of a chance a team can sneak them onto the practice squad. So consider Cobbs as an '8th round' pick.

If he's not on the roster to contribute on returns for special teams, and if's he's not on the roster to see time with the defense, the only logical conclusion is that he's on the roster for the sake of being on the roster, and is inactive each week for he can be active a year or two from now.

That's just what I don't get.

Unless somebody gets injured, you have to assume the Pats aren't going to carry anymore than 3 or 4 RBs. If the FB position hypothetically doesn't exist, then Mills is the 4th TE, leaving the RB position.

I suppose it depends on what happens to Pass. If he gets activated before Saturday (Bethel came off the PUP this time last year), then I think he becomes that 4th RB. Hell, the Pats only carried 3 last year (Dillon, Faulk, Pass). Pass wins because of his proven success and versatility - rushing, receiving, blocking, returning.

If Pass isn't activated, then there's 2 options. Since there are other spots on the roster where an extra spot could be used, the option is still open for only 3 RBs to start it off, then Pass to be the 4th come week 6.

Or, as I see as the less likely option, a 4th RB is kept for those 6 weeks. Since the Pats aren't going to line up D/M/F and Cobbs in the same backfield, the logical conclusion I come to is Heath. If you're going to keep a player on your roster, you're going to want to use him. Evans does bring that ability to line up him and D/M/F in the same backfield.

Since Cobbs' running ability becomes irrelevant due to the greater ability of D/M/F, and because he doesn't bring anything in the return game, you'd have to think Heath gets the edge in the passing game because of his ability to line up at FB, and also provide an option in the same stance to at least adequately lead block (as he did in Denver). The reason I say this (Evans better in the passing game than Cobbs) is because he actually has an opportunity to be on the field, unlike Cobbs, who would have to take Faulk or Maroney off the field just to get touches.

But once Pass returns, it's either Heath/Cobbs or another player on the roster that gets the axe. Pass goes into that FB role just described, and all is well. Mills sees some time as a motioning h-back on passing downs, but the regular season isn't preseason, so him, along with other rookies won't see nearly the amount of playing time they've seen so far this August. Having Pass or Evans as the FB also pigeon holes Mills into more of a receiving role, and how can that be a bad thing? Cobbs doesn't bring that ability, since he'd only be able to line up at RB, and you'd still need a Heath/Pass/Mills to lead block.

Zuma said:
Really...this Cobbs bashing reminds me of Seymour93's freakish hatred for Cassel last year at this time...

I'm not bashing Cobbs, I'm just saying he doesn't have a niche on the roster. And contrary to popular belief, what he's done in the preseason doesn't change that. As I see it, he has to beat out Faulk or Maroney or Dillon, and that just ain't happening.

I think Cobbs has done a good job and has made the most of his opportunity, but unfortunately he probably won't be reaping the rewards here in New England. With D/M/F and in a sense Pass, the RB position is locked and loaded. This offense lacks an every-down FB position, so the number of backs that need to be kept is reduced by that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye