PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss pens an awesome piece on David Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to Givens, he was offered a crapload more money thhan he would've gotten for staying. We're not talking about a million per year; And as I recall, most ppl at the time didn't think the Pats should've come anywhere close to what Givens was offered.
Not saying I wouldn't have taken the money too - but "great" is an overused word and Givens wasn't a "great Patriot".

I think it is possible to be a great patriot, but to also leave for the money (or for the playing time) when its apparant the Patriots don't value or need you as much. I think of Ty Law and Willie McG as great Patriots; they left for the money; but also cause they believed they were still elite; and the Pats believed differently.
McGinnest, yeah; Law just jerked them around forever.

I feel bad for the guy and wish him well but you aren't a "great Patriot" when you go running for the biggest contract you can find. Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Warren, et al, they are the great Patriots. The ones who stick around for good money but don't go searching out every last dollar.
I meant he was great when he was a Patriot, on-and-off the field. Has nothing to do with him leaving for money, which I don't blame him for. You'd have to be crazy to turn down what the Titans were offering.

I'm not getting into a huge argument over this, because there a few people here who get ridiculously offended when the Pats aren't someone's first choice.

Last edited:
A sad end to a promising career. hopefully his business ventures will pay off and he'll be able to run soon. good luck DG

I meant he was great when he was a Patriot, on-and-off the field.
He was a solid player. Certainly not great and not always on the same page with Brady - most of Brady's throws to no-one were seemingly miscommunications with either Givens or Watson. Givens was a good player. Certainly not great.

he has made some of the most important catches in pats sb yrs.
the denver safety game
the 20-3 colts playoff
the sb's
iam sure many more i cant remember.

He was a solid player. Certainly not great and not always on the same page with Brady - most of Brady's throws to no-one were seemingly miscommunications with either Givens or Watson. Givens was a good player. Certainly not great.

I was not sorry to see him go, especially for the money Ten was offering him.

This story certainly underscores the importance of NFL players getting as much as possible in signing bonuses because contracts mean squat.

The last paragraph suggests to me that Givens is no smarter in his financial dealings than he was when some of his Ten bonus money was ripped off. He sounds over-extended.

Poor guy; it was a horrible freak injury, not unlike Robert Edwards'.

I admired the fact that he openly admitted he was going to the highest bidder.

Most players spin some "disrespect" or "improved role" crap that insults our intelligence when we all know it's all about money.

I was a big Givens fan. A 7th round draft pick who could bench press 400+
pounds. He had 7 playoff touchdowns as a Patriots.

Marvin Harrison only has 2 playoff touchdowns.

A fun stat to toss in the face of any Colt fan.

I meant he was great when he was a Patriot, on-and-off the field. Has nothing to do with him leaving for money, which I don't blame him for. You'd have to be crazy to turn down what the Titans were offering.

I'm not getting into a huge argument over this, because there a few people here who get ridiculously offended when the Pats aren't someone's first choice.

Givens was one of my favorites, because he was drafted so late and came so far to make himself a key part of the Super Bowl winning teams. I agree, the money he got from the Tians was rediculous and I didn't blame him for leaving. Same will be for Cassel.

I hope his off field business endeavors work out and his rehab continues to improve. Best of luck to you David Givens.

Think about how good it would have served him if he had stayed here. Tom Brady made him the player he was. You left playing for the Best QB in the Game to go play with whom? Givens was too near sighted if he had looked far enough...he would have seen that the grass wasn't really greener on the other side.

That was an outstanding article. It sounds like he'll never see the football field again, after reading the details of his injuries. Although he's trying to buck the odds and make a comeback, it looks like he has accepted the likelihood of his career being over and is well into his post-football business plans. Good for him.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes