http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

October 09, 2006
Pats workouts

The Patriots worked out four players at Gillette Stadium on Monday:

Receiver Chris Jones (Jackson State)
Tight end Terry Jones (Alabama)
Defensive back James Patrick (Stillman)
Defensive back Ray Williams (Purdue)

Of the group, tight end Terry Jones has the most experience. He was a fifth-round draft choice of the Ravens in 2002, spending the first three years of his career with Baltimore before playing for the 49ers last year.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:59:26 PM

Last edited:
Yeah, we defintely need another TE on the roster.

We might if Grambo is hurting. Jones was good in Baltimore.

p8ryts said:
We might if Grambo is hurting. Jones was good in Baltimore.

I honestly have no clue what to make of these things anymore.

I'll just wait and see what BB does.

half the time, he cuts them later anyway.

SamBam39 said:

I'll just wait and see what BB does.

half the time, he cuts them later anyway.

BB plays one game at a time, but thinks many games out. He understands how he wants to attack a future opponent based on their weaknesses. His bringing in players for a game or two furfills those needs. Its not always about the current 45 that play each week, but what players are we going to need down the road. Bring a player in a few weeks early, give them the opportunity to learn their role and then let them go. It's like many companies that bring in independent contractors to do a specific job that the company does not have the talent on hand. Do the job and move on. IMHO, BB utilizes all 53 player slots better than any coach in the NFL.

SamBam39 said:

Neither do I.

What a waste of time and money.

Where does the FO find this garbage?

captain stone said:
Where does the FO find this garbage?

Sitting around with all the other undrafted garbage like Mike Wright, Stephen Neal, Randall Gay or worthless castaways from other teams like Mike Vrabel, Don Davis, Heath Evans, etc.

fnordcircle said:
Sitting around with all the other undrafted garbage like Mike Wright, Stephen Neal, Randall Gay or worthless castaways from other teams like Mike Vrabel, Don Davis, Heath Evans, etc.

Add Artrell Hawkins to the castaway list as well...went from a CB to a S, too.

fnordcircle said:
hahaha you tell him!!!

what a stupid dumb idiot. Whoever said that. He's a stupid dumb idiot and I am not going to take that back .

Keegs said:
hahaha you tell him!!!

what a stupid dumb idiot. Whoever said that. He's a stupid dumb idiot and I am not going to take that back .
Give him a break, he's just questioning authority.

Speaking of tight ends, what is the status of Garrett Mills?

DCPatsFan said:
Speaking of tight ends, what is the status of Garrett Mills?

He's day to day:p
At fullback,TE,WHO KNOWS!
Might be starting at qb next week.
I do think he's a BB "type" of player so he'll be in the mix for awhile.

Patjew said:
Give him a break, he's just questioning authority.

Thanks, PJ. Upon further review, however, I feel it is proper for me to offer my sincerest apologies to Terry Jones, Chris Jones, James Patrick and Ray Williams. My use of the word "garbage" to describe them was inappropriate and cruel. A more appropriate word would have been "admirable". These young men have overcome long odds, and through perseverence and hard work, have put themselves in a position to say to their children some day: I once worked out for the SB XLI Champion New England Patriots. I know I wish I could say that.
And had I been less lazy, I would have learned that Terry Jones not only was a 5th round choice of the Ravens in 2002 (not a reach at that spot, either), but also has played in 53 NFL games, incl. 34 starts, and has caught 59 passes, incl. 5 TDs. Should Graham ever be placed on the IR, Terry Jones could absolutely be considered as a possible replacement for the Blocking TE role.
These men have already faced rejection and disappointment in their young careers; they certainly don't need, or deserve, to be cowardly insulted by some old wannabe cyber-Coach/GM, who promises to try his best, in the future, to refrain from resorting to such crude words, born out of frustration and impatience.

That all being said, my original thought that the FO needs to bring in better quality players for tryouts and possible signings, esp. at ILB, CB, FS, SS and WR, still stands.
Fnordcircle mentioned the undrafted Wright, Neal and Gay, and the FAs Vrabel, Davis and Evans as examples of castoffs finding success here; GoWhalers added Hawkins.
Wright and Gay were undrafted, but not unknown. Wright was somewhat overshadowed by the more well-known LBs on the U of Cincinnati D; Gay was a starter during his sophomore and junior seasons at LSU, but due to injury, lost his job to Travis Daniels and Corey Webster. No shame there. Neal was one of the most decorated college wrestlers of all time, and carried a 3.24 GPA to boot. He then spent a year on the Eagles' PS in 2001.
As for the castoffs, Vrabel was a 3rd-round choice by Pittsburgh in 1997; Evans was a 3rd-round choice by Seattle in 2001; Hawkins was a 2nd-round choice by Cincinnati in 1998.
Folks, those are exactly the type of players I want the FO to add to our depth chart: experienced and successful in college, draft-worthy (First Day quality, if possible), and experienced (or showing potential, or needing a change of scenery) in the pros. The FO has acquired these players in the past; I see no reason why the FO should stop now.

captain stone said:
.... Folks, those are exactly the type of players I want the FO to add to our depth chart: experienced and successful in college, draft-worthy (First Day quality, if possible), and experienced (or showing potential, or needing a change of scenery) in the pros. The FO has acquired these players in the past; I see no reason why the FO should stop now.

Doesn't require such effusive contrition, cap'n ...
but certainly speaks well of your upbringing. :)

Not that any of us imagine that we NEED tight ends ...
but would Tim Euhus meet your criteria?

Member of the pre-draft glitterati a few years ago,
just released by Pitts so they could add Chad Brown.

psychoPat said:
Doesn't require such effusive contrition, cap'n ...
but certainly speaks well of your upbringing. :)

Not that any of us imagine that we NEED tight ends ...
but would Tim Euhus meet your criteria?

Member of the pre-draft glitterati a few years ago,
just released by Pitts so they could add Chad Brown.

Thanks, Psycho. Euhus was known more for his receiving, than for his blocking, while at Oregon State. He was a solid 4th-round choice by the Bills in 2004, but, if memory serves, suffered injuries each of his 2 years there. I don't know what he can bring to the party that Watson, Thomas and Mills haven't already provided, unless his blocking has really improved.

As for Hangin' Chad Brown, I had forgotten about him. It appears that his hand is healed, and the Steelers needed somebody, at least for this weekend. The Pats seem committed to Pierre Woods at the other OLB spot, although he could probably pass through waivers, if they wanted to place him on the PS. I would like to see him play on some 3rd-down packages, so he can show whether his preseason explosiveness can translate to regular season production. Seau, Bruschi, Vrabel and Colvin have all played a significant % of the defensive snaps so far. I just don't see that situation lasting through the playoffs, before their overall effectiveness declines, or one or more of them break down for the duration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back