PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats to host Marty Booker on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/02/pats_to_host_bo.html

Pats to host Marty Booker
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
February 18, 2008 10:47 PM

The Patriots are setting their sights on another former Dolphin, as receiver Marty Booker is scheduled to meet with team officials at Gillette Stadium Tuesday.

Much like the Patriots’ decision to pursue Wes Welker last year, Booker’s success against New England might be a significant factor in the level of interest he’s received from Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli and head coach Bill Belichick.

In eight games against the Patriots over the last four seasons, the 6-foot-, 210-pound Booker had three 100-yard receiving games. He played a major role in the Dolphins’ last two wins against New England – catching eight passes for 103 yards and a touchdown in a 21-0 win Dec. 10, 2006, and seven receptions for 86 yards and a touchdown in a 28-26 victory Jan. 1, 2006.

The 31-year-old Booker enters his 10th NFL season in 2008, after playing for the Bears (1999-2003) and Dolphins (2004-2007). He was released by the Dolphins on Feb. 11.

Re: Per Reiss: Pats to host Marty Booker

Good. And hear me out. If they sign him to a cheap deal, it helps us a lot. It could pay huge dividends. We've seen first hand how freaking unstoppable a offense littered with WRs is. Booker just makes the WR bullet proof. I wouldn't pay much for him at all though.

I guess they really want this guy to play opposite Moss.

i wonder if bringing in booker would spell the end of gaffney's stay here
booker is mainly a possession/blocking guy right?
that's the role gaffney played, and we usually only like to have one of those types around
we've always shown a great easiness in finding these cheap...givens, gaffney, booker?

VERY Interesting....I didn't foresee this but if it gets done I'll definitely like it

Good. And hear me out. If they sign him to a cheap deal, it helps us a lot. It could pay huge dividends. We've seen first hand how freaking unstoppable a offense littered with WRs is. Booker just makes the WR bullet proof. I wouldn't pay much for him at all though.

Yeah, but why Booker? He's getting a little up there in years, right?

So apparently the career path for your average AFC east player is to play 2 years for the dolphins, get tired of sucking, play a couple years for the Pats, decide you want more money, then get overpaid by the Jets and go back to sucking.

Good - realistically who do we currently have signed at WR?

Moss & Gaffney are free agents, Stallworth reportedly will be cut - Washington's contract needs to be re-done.

Sure, we've got Welker and Jackson. But that's it.

This position needs attention.

nice sarcasm.

Maybe this means they will draft a mammoth tackle with their first rounder

Yeah, but why Booker? He's getting a little up there in years, right?

Will be 32 in July. He has good size and is athletic. Described as smart and instinctive as well as a solid route runner. He sets up defenders well and uses his body effectivelly to box out defenders. Not that much speed but is a solid rac guy. Strong blocker, simply put a football player that has been pretty consistent over his career. I'd say a solid 2 or 3, probably closer to a 3 at this point of his career.

Marty Booker will turn 32 on July 31st !

I think signing Booker is more likely than signing Thomas. Although both players have done some damage against the Patriots in the past, the Pats can't afford to get older on defense.

why not bring in Muhammad?

I hope we sign him!

why not bring in Muhammad?

I was about to post the same thing. They seem, to me anyway, to be very similar players.

Booker is younger by about two years.

Their average yards/catch is comparable, 12.4 vs 13.4 in favor of Muhammad.

Neither has had a great qb throwing to them the last few years.

Moose has tired legs.

Think if he is part of a rotation with Moss, Welker, Gaffney, and Jackson that it would make a difference?

I dont think rest can help a guy who cant seem to run anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes