PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats sit down with Cromartie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Rodgers-Cromartie too (put him and Cason as my two favorite CB's for NE), but I wouldn't take him at 7th overall. I don't even want to use the 7th overall pick, especially on a CB.

He's 6'1.4", not 6'2", and he weighs 184lbs, so he could gain a few pounds at that height. I do believe he could potentially develop into a very good CB, with some added weight though.

It's not that hard to trade down, if your team goes about it correctly, and their is a good player available. A lot of the teams who've had a hard time trading down in the past wanted to much. The Patriots would take less in pick comp (within reason) in order to get that huge contract off their salary cap. Remember, they don't use the "value chart". And, Pioli has said he doesn't see the value in taking a player in the top ten.

Mankins was taken at the tail end of round one. There's a lot less risk associated with that pick, so it allows you to take a few more chances.

Also, a lot of NFL players are related (more than most fans realize), but Antonio's success doesn't at all mean Dominique will have the same level of success. There have been a number of brothers and Cousins who didn't live up to their family name. That's not saying Dominique won't be successful, but his relation to Antonio should be pretty far down your list when evaluating his actual talent/ability.

Last edited:
Remember, they don't use the "value chart". And, Pioli has said he doesn't see the value in taking a player in the top ten.
Keep in mind also the Massey and Thaler theorum on "surplus value" which states that the best overall values in the draft are selected from the middle of the first round to the middle of the second round - a range in which the Pats do not currently have a draft pick.

Keep in mind also the Massey and Thaler theorum on "surplus value" which states that the best overall values in the draft are selected from the middle of the first round to the middle of the second round - a range in which the Pats do not currently have a draft pick.
Which is more likely the Patriots will trade down even if they don't get fair value according to the "draft pick trade chart".

Also, a lot of NFL players are related (more than most fans realize), but Antonio's success doesn't at all mean Dominique will have the same level of success. There have been a number of brothers and Cousins who didn't live up to their family name. That's not saying Dominique won't be successful, but his relation to Antonio should be pretty far down your list when evaluating his actual talent/ability.
I'm more worried about the level of competition that Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie faced throughout his collegiate career. Let's face it, Tennessee State is not in the SEC.

Hopes of dropping back into the round are quickly rising especially looking at CB's that could be taken in the mid range.

Here's the red flags on Cromartie to me - as mentioned above he's coming from 1-AA, second per nfl.com's scouting report he plays reckless and overconfident at time (we already have an Ellis Hobbs), and he doesn't really strike me as a guy who is obsessed with football like the Pats like. Example - Per Reiss today when meeting with the Pats he drew up a cover two because it was easy.

Don't you think the Pats would want a CB who wouldn't just draw up something simple? Maybe someone who would draw up his favorite play? Something complicated, at least an attempt to show how much he knows about how a defense works? They look for people who understand the defense as a whole as well as their individual responsibility within that framework.

I also read through his Q&A on NFL.com. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. Of course brilliant play will make me forget about that. But you've got to look a few more places than just the Senior Bowl to prove to me that he can be a top-flight NFL corner.

Last edited:
Here's the red flags on Cromartie to me - as mentioned above he's coming from 1-AA, second per nfl.com's scouting report he plays reckless and overconfident at time (we already have an Ellis Hobbs), and he doesn't really strike me as a guy who is obsessed with football like the Pats like. Example - Per Reiss today when meeting with the Pats he drew up a cover two because it was easy.

Don't you think the Pats would want a CB who wouldn't just draw up something simple? Maybe someone who would draw up his favorite play? Something complicated, at least an attempt to show how much he knows about how a defense works? They look for people who understand the defense as a whole as well as their individual responsibility within that framework.

I also read through his Q&A on NFL.com. Something about him just rubs me the wrong way. Of course brilliant play will make me forget about that. But you've got to look a few more places than just the Senior Bowl to prove to me that he can be a top-flight NFL corner.

I saw enough in the Senior Bowl against the best seniors in the land. You can throw the TSU competition argument out the window, don't penalize this kid for that. Three outstanding NFL caliber plays were all my eyes had to see to tell me what kind of a stud corner this kid is going to turn out to be.

Re: Reiss, Pats sit down with Cromartie

You don't think Hobbs could single cover a 6'6" receiver on a goaline route?

LOL we KNOW he can't. Was that a rhetorical question?

Dom Cromartie's height and athleticism are certainly intriguing.
But how is he as a football player?
Certainly a guy to keep an eye on though. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back